Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 02:32 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh lucky you....from Montreal! Cheese anything....fondue included

Is there a special mail order place in Montreal you like for their cheeses?
I'm guessing that what you got is already the best of the best. Lucky YOU! I never had to do mail order because the gorgeous French cheeses are right... there... even in "regular" grocery stores. If you haven't had Caprice des Dieux, try it. If you haven't had Le Rustique (the camembert, not the brie), try it. If you haven't had Saint-André... omg, you MUST find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 02:53 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm guessing that what you got is already the best of the best. Lucky YOU! I never had to do mail order because the gorgeous French cheeses are right... there... even in "regular" grocery stores. If you haven't had Caprice des Dieux, try it. If you haven't had Le Rustique (the camembert, not the brie), try it. If you haven't had Saint-André... omg, you MUST find it.

I'm guessing raw milk cheeses are available there?

I've had some samples of some that somehow made their way into the US and they rocked!

And YES to the Saint-Andre!

Old 12-26-2018, 02:53 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Ah, yes. Our mutual favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Mais oui.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:58 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
How's the french cheese selection in Ottawa?

There are a few fancy markets here where awesome imported cheese is available, but it's very very expensive.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:00 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post

There are a few fancy markets here where awesome imported cheese is available, but it's very very expensive.

If you have a Trader Joe's handy they seem to have some decent prices on cheeses.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:08 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
I'm guessing raw milk cheeses are available there?

I've had some samples of some that somehow made their way into the US and they rocked!

It's not super-easy to find raw milk cheese but *wink* *wink* I have sources. Really, though, there are (relatively) fewer places that carry them, but they can be found. And, my gosh, YES!, they are amazing. As is Saint-André. So much fat in the Saint-André, but that's what makes it soooo goooood (and I just drooled).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Ah, yes. Our mutual favorite.

Yuuuuup! (Still drooling.)

Quote:

Not quite the same as in Montreal -- and certainly less variety in the regular grocery stores here -- but I made it my business to find places. There are still some good cheeses in the grocery store around the corner from me so that I don't have to drive 15 minutes, though, when the weather sucks.

Dairy is horribly expensive in all of Canada but... good cheese is a necessity. Can't live without it, can't live without it.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:50 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:

I notice Richardson, TX, is 10 miles from the Whole Foods in Plano. I get St. Andre for $11.99 at my Whole Foods, and it's the cheapest price in town (Pittsburgh, PA).

Old 12-26-2018, 09:33 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
Quote:
My mother-in-law and I made coq au vin together from Julia's recipe in a 1970's era cookbook she had after watching the movie Julie and Julia. It got every pan in the kitchen dirty and we never wanted to make a Julia recipe again.

The stew was good and very well received by the guests, but neither of us had much taste for it at that point.
try it with white wine

Old 12-27-2018, 01:45 AM

9 posts, read 5,518 times
Default Best traditional French reference cookbooks

The Escoffier Cookbook and Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery: For Connoisseurs, Chefs, Epicures Complete With 2973 Recipes
If Larousse is a dictionary of phrases, Escoffier is an encyclopedia of technique, and according to Chow, that’s why these two books go hand in hand. When you look up a specific dish in Escoffier, you don’t get a translation of ingredients as you would in Larousse or a formal recipe with measurements. Instead, it gives you a technique and a brief paragraph explaining what steps you need to take to make the dish — which means it’s more geared for those who already know how to sauté and make a roux. But it’s comprehensive, over 900 pages long with 2,500-plus short recipes, and it’s stood the test of time. This book, originally published in 1903, also comes recommended by Barthélémy and François Payard of KarVér Brasserie, who calls it “très classique.”

Old 12-27-2018, 07:01 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,481 times
Quote:
I've done Bouef Bourguignon and Coq au Vin which are basically just stews and not all that involved, may have even been Julia's recipes,

This comment does not get three Michelin stars...

Julia's Boeuf Bourguignon described as "basically just a stew?" Is there a French recipe for eating one's words?...

Quote:
My mother-in-law and I made coq au vin together from Julia's recipe in a 1970's era cookbook she had after watching the movie Julie and Julia. It got every pan in the kitchen dirty and we never wanted to make a Julia recipe again.....

The stew was good and very well received by the guests, but neither of us had much taste for it at that point.

Yes Debsi, preparing Julia's CAV or BB, if prepared properly and with care, is more involved and time consuming than some would portray it. Is it worth the effort? I often double or even triple the ingredients in a French recipe (if the recipe allows while still maintaining the integrity of the dish) and we either gorge ouselves night after night, use for guests, or freeze for later on.

You can do this with Coq Au Vin! Don't lose the faith, you get faster and better with practice and experience, use the bulk cooking method where you can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink