Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 10:33 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times

Advertisements

Have any of you good cooks branched out to serious French cooking?

I have bought (used) Julia Child's book The French Chef that went along with her tv show of the same name years ago. She and another chef authored Mastering the Art of French Cooking, 2 vols. that delved deeply into French cooking and was very well received but likely too involved for me.

What type of French recipes have you made?
Is the extra time needed and long lists of ingredients intimidating or not?
Do you find most ingredients needed here in the US for French dishes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 11:44 AM

68,271 posts, read 53,999,856 times
I've done Bouef Bourguignon and Coq au Vin which are basically just stews and not all that involved, may have even been Julia's recipes, just things I picked off the 'net when I felt like cooking.

I cut the following from the NYT last month and want to try it. Of course I don't have the right size tart pan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/21/m...at-quiche.html

Old 12-26-2018, 11:51 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,380,398 times
My mother-in-law and I made coq au vin together from Julia's recipe in a 1970's era cookbook she had after watching the movie Julie and Julia. It got every pan in the kitchen dirty and we never wanted to make a Julia recipe again.

The stew was good and very well received by the guests, but neither of us had much taste for it at that point.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:52 AM

11,906 posts, read 8,227,609 times
When Jackie Kennedy was in the White House French cooking was popular. I became practiced at making both sweet and savory crepes. They were great for us on a budget as they lent themselves well to using leftover meats. Just add a sauce, run under the broiler and,voila, instant gourmet! I picked up an old Sunset crepes cookbook at a second hand store that has served me well.

I often use a quiche in the same manner - as a vehicle to dress up leftover veggies and meat.

Then there's that wonderful puff pastry that you can buy frozen that will have you looking like an expert at desserts. Many times I've read those explanations about how you can do this by hand but I've never had the time nor courage to give it a go.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I've done Bouef Bourguignon and Coq au Vin which are basically just stews and not all that involved, may have even been Julia's recipes, just things I picked off the 'net when I felt like cooking.

I cut the following from the NYT last month and want to try it. Of course I don't have the right size tart pan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/21/m...at-quiche.html

Love quiche with Gruyere...I know it's annoying when recipes use pans that are not standard...

Old 12-26-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
My mother-in-law and I made coq au vin together from Julia's recipe in a 1970's era cookbook she had after watching the movie Julie and Julia. It got every pan in the kitchen dirty and we never wanted to make a Julia recipe again.

The stew was good and very well received by the guests, but neither of us had much taste for it at that point.

Loved that movie...

I've made Coq au Vin but not by her recipe. That's what I thought....after using so many ingredients do you even have a taste for the completed dish??!!

Old 12-26-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
When Jackie Kennedy was in the White House French cooking was popular. I became practiced at making both sweet and savory crepes. They were great for us on a budget as they lent themselves well to using leftover meats. Just add a sauce, run under the broiler and,voila, instant gourmet! I picked up an old Sunset crepes cookbook at a second hand store that has served me well.

I often use a quiche in the same manner - as a vehicle to dress up leftover veggies and meat.

Then there's that wonderful puff pastry that you can buy frozen that will have you looking like an expert at desserts. Many times I've read those explanations about how you can do this by hand but I've never had the time nor courage to give it a go.

Crepes! So versatile....I've made a blue million quiches over the years, again so versatile. I'm with you on pp...no way do I want to spend an entire day making by hand

I'd like to focus on sauces...

Old 12-26-2018, 12:00 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,093,366 times
My favorite French cookbook is Susan Loomis, French Farmhouse cookbook. The recipes are rustic French instead of fancy cuisine. It’s easy to imagine French farmers going out to the garden for fresh produce, maybe a trip to the henhouse. I’ve tried most recipes in the book, it’s not much effort to prepare a roast chicken with tarragon, green beans with walnuts and a loaf of bread. Really good, basic food.

https://www.amazon.com/French-Farmho...ustomerReviews

Here is a version of French dauphinois potatoes that I always make and had it yesterday with the ham. So amazingly good. The French have mastered the art of potatoes better than anyone.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/gratin...recipe-1375736

Last edited by Taz22; 12-26-2018 at 12:14 PM..

Old 12-26-2018, 12:13 PM

68,271 posts, read 53,999,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Crepes! So versatile....I've made a blue million quiches over the years, again so versatile. I'm with you on pp...no way do I want to spend an entire day making by hand

I'd like to focus on sauces...

Not French bur since puff pastry is in play .........................

I grew up in a town with a large Portuguese community, all the local cafes served these and they're really good with coffee, best eaten the day they're made:

Portuguese Custard Tarts

Ingredients
3 egg yolks (I prefer 2 egg yolks and 1 whole egg)
115g /4ozs superfine sugar
2 tbsp corn starch
230ml/8.11fl ozs Cream (I don't use cream, I use milk)
170ml/6fl ozs Milk
2 tsp vanilla extract (I use Queen Vanilla Bean Paste)
300g/10.6 ozs rolled puff pastry (I use one sheet of puff pastry)
Method
Step 1 - Lightly grease a 12-hole 80ml muffin tray.
Step 2 - Put the egg yolks, sugar and corn starch in a pan and whisk together. Gradually whisk in the cream and milk until smooth.
Step 3 - Place the pan over a medium heat and cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens and comes to the boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Transfer the custard to a bowl, cover the surface with cling film to prevent a skin forming and leave to cool.
Step 4 - Preheat the oven to 400F.
Step 5 - Cut the pastry dough sheet in half, put one half on top of the other and set aside for 5 minutes. Roll up the pastry tightly from the short end and cut the pastry log into 12 x 1cm rounds. Lay each pastry round on a lightly floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll out until each is 10cm in diameter.
Step 6 - Press the pastry rounds into the muffin tin. Spoon the cooled custard into the pastry cases and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the pastry and custard are golden. Leave the tarts in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:17 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,380,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Loved that movie...

I've made Coq au Vin but not by her recipe. That's what I thought....after using so many ingredients do you even have a taste for the completed dish??!!
I feel the same way if I bake a bunch of cookies all day.. can't eat any of them!

Until the next day, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink