U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 10:35 PM

36,413 posts, read 41,447,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Iíve been grinding beans for over 20 years. But Iím not a snob. I buy store brand beans. Occasionally I buy more expensive beans for a treat.
Yeah, definitely not uppity about the brand of the beans.

I do have preferences for type of roast, origins of beans, since beans harvested from different parts of the world aren't the same...but that's just individual taste, not a referendum on what degree or style of roast is "best," what growing regions are "best."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 07:53 AM

2,032 posts, read 1,226,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Iíve been grinding beans for over 20 years. But Iím not a snob. I buy store brand beans. Occasionally I buy more expensive beans for a treat.

And I use a Cuisinart drip coffeemaker.
Sorry--I mean snob as in I like the taste of freshly ground beans over already ground. I definitely notice the difference.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:21 PM

21,303 posts, read 14,010,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Sorry--I mean snob as in I like the taste of freshly ground beans over already ground. I definitely notice the difference.
Me too, kiddo!

Old 05-13-2019, 01:23 PM

1,580 posts, read 498,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
More important is getting the right grinder. Absolutely stay away from blade grinders. They will scorch the beans. You need a burr grinder. Here's where it gets a little tricky. There are two types...wheel (or flat) burr and conical burr. The best one is the conical burr, so make sure somewhere in the description it states that it is a conical burr grinder. If it doesn't say anywhere, it's probably a wheel/flat burr.
I will second that for another reason. We go through a lot of beans. It’s rare but we have encountered 3 small rocks mixed in with the beans over the years. Our first blade grinder the blades literally disintegrated when it hit it. The burr grinders made a brief unpleasant noise but just ground them up like a bean, pretty much unfazed by them. A good burr grinder can quickly produce a very fine (espresso) grind as well.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,351 posts, read 53,716,949 times
I ground my own beans for many years, over that time wore out 3 grinders, 4 drip coffeemakers and 3 espresso machines. Eventually I realized that I only drank more than one cup on the weekends, and was wasting a lot of coffee, and happened to pass by a demo on the Nespresso machines. Look for a Nespresso Boutique, which is at a few of the larger Macy's stores (here it's in Bellevue Square Mall). They made me a cup and I was blown away by the taste, and the thick layer of crema on top. After several years now I have narrowed down my favorite coffee flavors, but far away the best is their Cuban, which they just brought back after a hiatus. This machine does both coffee and espresso with the same pods, most coffee is 8 oz but some make 14 oz.

Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM

2,569 posts, read 3,702,727 times
I have become a coffee snob since moving to, and working in, Indonesia. Up until last year I would willingly drink instant coffee, although it wasn't my first choice. I can even remember the exact moment I really started to appreciate decent coffee. I think it was watching the intensity the two guys put into making my espresso, from making sure the water was the exact temperature needed to tamping down the coffee in the press. It is pretty amazing how a really good cup of coffee can change your perspective.

I've invested in an Aeropress(awesome) and bought a pour over doohickey(good but I don't really understand the big hubbub) and a Vietnamese drip filter(not bad but I've only tried it with condensed milk). I want to pick up a siphon coffee maker and possibly a moka pot. I may even buy a Rokpresso manual espresso maker before I leave.

I grind 200g bags of beans from East Timor for my morning(drip coffee maker) and afternoon(French press) coffee during the work week. It's a decent daily drink but nothing exceptional. On weekends and holidays when I have the time, I grind by the cup and usually use the Aeropress. I use an electric metal blade(I know, bad) grinder to grind the weekday coffee and I have a hand grinder to make single cups.

Right now I think my favorite coffee is whole bean Excelso Kalosi Toraja but I really enjoyed some beans I picked up from a small coffee shop in Sumatra. Aceh Gayo is another variety that shows up in my rotation regularly.

Old Today, 03:56 PM

21,303 posts, read 14,010,803 times
I just learned today that Panera will be batch grinding and brewing each pot of coffee. They are transitioning to grinding every batch right before brewing in their cafes.

We had Panera coffee on the road last week, and I could tell the difference. Our local Panera will soon be doing that for all its varieties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or