U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2019, 01:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,351 posts, read 53,703,584 times

Advertisements

I ground my own beans for many years, over that time wore out 3 grinders, 4 drip coffeemakers and 3 espresso machines. Eventually I realized that I only drank more than one cup on the weekends, and was wasting a lot of coffee, and happened to pass by a demo on the Nespresso machines. Look for a Nespresso Boutique, which is at a few of the larger Macy's stores (here it's in Bellevue Square Mall). They made me a cup and I was blown away by the taste, and the thick layer of crema on top. After several years now I have narrowed down my favorite coffee flavors, but far away the best is their Cuban, which they just brought back after a hiatus. This machine does both coffee and espresso with the same pods, most coffee is 8 oz but some make 14 oz.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:35 AM

2,569 posts, read 3,701,989 times
I have become a coffee snob since moving to, and working in, Indonesia. Up until last year I would willingly drink instant coffee, although it wasn't my first choice. I can even remember the exact moment I really started to appreciate decent coffee. I think it was watching the intensity the two guys put into making my espresso, from making sure the water was the exact temperature needed to tamping down the coffee in the press. It is pretty amazing how a really good cup of coffee can change your perspective.

I've invested in an Aeropress(awesome) and bought a pour over doohickey(good but I don't really understand the big hubbub) and a Vietnamese drip filter(not bad but I've only tried it with condensed milk). I want to pick up a siphon coffee maker and possibly a moka pot. I may even buy a Rokpresso manual espresso maker before I leave.

I grind 200g bags of beans from East Timor for my morning(drip coffee maker) and afternoon(French press) coffee during the work week. It's a decent daily drink but nothing exceptional. On weekends and holidays when I have the time, I grind by the cup and usually use the Aeropress. I use an electric metal blade(I know, bad) grinder to grind the weekday coffee and I have a hand grinder to make single cups.

Right now I think my favorite coffee is whole bean Excelso Kalosi Toraja but I really enjoyed some beans I picked up from a small coffee shop in Sumatra. Aceh Gayo is another variety that shows up in my rotation regularly.

Old Today, 07:57 PM

207 posts, read 48,759 times
Our main go-to bean variety is dark roast Sumatran Mandheling, and another favorite is Indian Monsooned Malabar. There are so many excellent varieties each with it's own uniqueness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or