Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 01:04 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times

Advertisements

This thing makes a superior brew compared to French press. I've used it almost exclusively for nearly a year:

https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Coffee.../dp/B00EOM5RN0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 02:04 AM

61,633 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Thanks, Elnina for the links

Where are the best places to buy the coffee beans so that I can roast them myself ?

Thanks in advance
I don't live in your location, but I am sure there are places that sell a better quality coffee than the usual grocery stores. Most supermarket coffee is exclusively robusta, and instant and cheap ground coffees are certainly robusta.
Arabica is generally much higher quality than Robusta.
However, robusta has twice as much caffeine as arabica.

Some pretty tasty quality coffee still on budget you can find at World Market, Tuesday Morning/Home Goods... (If you have those)
At coffee shops quality coffee will be more expensive.

Good brands to look for are Kona, Blue Mountain, Dark Sumatra, Geisha, Sulawesi, Peaberry, Java, Lavazza...

Ethiopian coffee is very good, and so is Kenyan and Hawaiian.
If you like it very strong, buy Death Wish.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:48 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,087,917 times
When time permits, i do a course grind and put it straight into a small pot of boiling water.... let it froth up... remove from heat... let the froth calm.. place back on heat... let it froth up... remove from heat.... calm.. etc.... three times. Then take off heat and sit for a few minutes. Let the grinds settle to the bottom. Then laddle the cofffee from the top into a cup. I Drink black or a touch of cream.... You will use a little more coffee and water than normal due to not drinking the bottom of the pot.

Not sure if others drink coffee this way but it all started when i was a teen on a hiking and camping trip which required is to pack minimally and light. Added a zip lock of course grinds to my mess kit at last minute...

I also like using a Bialetti percolator as well.

We use an auto grinder. Convenient measured daily grind at a touch of a button.

We drink a variety of coffees... including locally roasted. Oddly enough.... i ended up also liking the Costco Kirkland Signature Columbian coffee beans sold in 3lbs bags that we depended on back when we were budget limited.

Last edited by usayit; 12-28-2018 at 03:10 AM..

Old 12-28-2018, 07:30 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times
Default English Lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This Vietnamese shop makes the most amazing french press coffee. So I watched this lady make coffee and she uses a cheap $10 grinder, she dumps the grind out and put it in a peculator coffee pot. Tastes amazing, bold and so flavorful. Didn't matter she used the cheap grinder but it worked. I guess the key is the right grind and she uses a metal peculator espresso kettle instead of some fancy espresso maker.
I'm finding it difficult to comprehend how an inanimate object can commit an act of embezzlement.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/peculation

On Topic:

Fresher is better.

Grind immediately before brewing for best results.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:25 AM

1,186 posts, read 965,482 times
I read somewhere that the freshness of your coffee is like 80% of the taste, the fanciness of the machine brewing it makes up for maybe 20%. So the biggest 'bang for your buck' in terms of delicious coffee so to speak is investing in a coffee grinder.

If you like to enjoy different styles of coffee (e.g. espresso, cold brew, french press, pour-over, filter, whatever) then I recommend looking into a grinder that has an adjustable burr. I've been using a Rancilio Rocky grinder for the past several years, and am pretty happy with it, but there are a ton of brands out there to choose from. Keep in mind that some grinders (mine included) require some routine disassembly and cleaning otherwise the buildup of oils from the coffee beans can jam up the machine.

As others mentioned, keep your beans whole and then grind what you need immediately before brewing for the best results.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:38 AM

701 posts, read 1,707,907 times
We grind fresh for each cup. Burr grinder and fresh beans that we roast. The most consistent/easiest green bean supplier is Sweet Maria's https://www.sweetmarias.com/

Old 12-28-2018, 09:18 AM

294 posts, read 219,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMomma View Post
We grind fresh for each cup. Burr grinder and fresh beans that we roast. The most consistent/easiest green bean supplier is Sweet Maria's https://www.sweetmarias.com/
I also roast my own coffee and there is no other way to get better coffee. It is very easy with certain types of popcorn makers and a short learning curve. Practice with cheap beans first. My friends rave about my coffee and I give it as my gift in Christmas gift exchanges and it gets stolen all 3 times at every party. I also bring some coffee to drink at the party. Roasted coffee reaches peak flavor in a day or 2 and starts to lose flavor in 10 days or so. Store bought coffee was roasted weeks or months before and it is not made with the high quality beans you can buy online.

This morning I am drinking a mix of 2 different Kenyas an Ethiopian an Indian and some Jamaican and it is delicious. I used to buy beans from Sweet Marias but found better prices and varieties at Burmans.
Most Hawaiian coffee is not worth the very high price you pay. Kenyan, Ethiopian and Colombian are my favorites for everyday drinking and for Christmas I splurged on some $20 a pound Jamaica Blue Mountain that Burman had on sale.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:11 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,483,367 times
I grind for each brew too. I just bought a Bunn single cup brewer so I grind 3 times each day usually.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:34 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,710,958 times
I just recently started grinding coffee beans, mainly because I stumbled into it by accident. I usually buy ground coffee, but I'd been in a rush one day and grabbed the wrong bag off the shelf. I'd already opened it before I realized my mistake. (Obviously, it was a morning where I should have had coffee before trying to make coffee!)

But the beans had such a much better aroma than ground did, so after a few days, I bought a coffee grinder (burr.)

And O.M.G., the difference is incredible. And something else I've noticed is I have to put half the amount of creamer in my coffee for taste. It seems the coffee is less bitter, if that makes sense. Anybody else have this experience?

Old 04-29-2019, 04:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
I’ve done this for years. But DH likes to buy cheaper beans at WINCO, and I think the quality has declined.

We splurged on Sleepy Monk Beans when we last visited Cannon Beach, OR. I love their coffee. I wish I could have it every day, all year long.

The Hawaiian beans we brought back were not that good.

Locally roasted beans are a good souvenir to bring back from your travels. And you can get locally roasted beans almost everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink