U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 04:49 PM

35,353 posts, read 43,558,578 times

Advertisements

I have the same thing as you, and I have had no trouble. It was highly seasoned when I got it and when I use it for something with liquid, such as tomato, I just make sure to wash and dry it promptly and wipe with oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 05:30 PM

10,917 posts, read 19,393,053 times
JMO - you don't cook frozen meat! Defrost it.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:40 PM

40,231 posts, read 38,816,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

The way to do that is to season it every time you cook with it while you are cooking something. You do that by completely coating the entire inner surface and the insides of the pores of the pot and the lid with olive oil ...

DO NOT use baking soda or any other kind of abrasive...

Yep ^^^.

You also don't need to season it in the oven.

Use it as you normally would, clean it with regular dish soap, dry it immediately, wipe it with oil (not Pam) and store it. The end.

Lodge products are made in a city near mine, and they come with specific and easy instructions. It really shouldn't be rusting at all, and I agree that cooking the frozen meat is the problem.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:17 PM

1,847 posts, read 738,226 times
When I was a kid my parents cooked with cast iron Wagner Ware almost exclusively. My dad would take a new skillet and rub oil into it then bake it in the oven. I donít remember how often it required that or any of the details but I know once he did that it was pretty much indestructible

Old 12-30-2018, 09:22 PM

18,427 posts, read 17,604,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Wow, I have bought cast iron 3 times, twice I promptly returned it, the other one I gave away after seasoning it without using it at all. Was just overwhelmed by the care it needs. Your experience tells me never to buy it again.
That's hasn't been my experience at all. My cast iron pans need NO cleaning except to wipe them out with a paper towel or once in a while heat a small amount of water in them and when it cools, wipe it out. Easy!

Unlike my stainless steel pans that require scrubbing with SOS and soaking and they are a real pain to clean.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:31 PM

4,480 posts, read 5,013,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's hasn't been my experience at all. My cast iron pans need NO cleaning except to wipe them out with a paper towel or once in a while heat a small amount of water in them and when it cools, wipe it out. Easy!

Unlike my stainless steel pans that require scrubbing with SOS and soaking and they are a real pain to clean.

One that I bought was a Lodge skillet. I tried to follow the tips about how to preseason it. After rinsing and drying, applied coconut oil all over the pan, put upside down in the oven preheated to 450-500F. What I heard was it should be kept in the oven for something like an hour, but after about 30 minutes my apartment was filled with smoke, opening the window didn't help. I suppose it's very toxic to breathe in that smoke. I turned off the oven. The pan was probably well seasoned, but I gave it away.

Old Yesterday, 12:10 AM

3,199 posts, read 588,596 times
Once it is seasoned, nothing cleans easier than a cast iron pot/pan. Tomatoes don't do well in it, but lentils, beans, eggs, meats, gosh, I won't use anything else. Just a quick rinse, then a wipe and that's it.

Old Yesterday, 12:47 AM

35,882 posts, read 40,055,743 times
You should definitely be thawing meat before cooking.

Old Yesterday, 12:54 AM

9,612 posts, read 14,482,147 times
"Am I doing something wrong?"

Lots of good advice here, but I believe you have acid water Slight acidity in your water will rust cast iron. Do not wash your cast iron with soap along with the rest of your dishes. I have been cooking with cast iron for over 60 years.

Old Yesterday, 01:52 AM

9,353 posts, read 18,189,303 times
Use the pan to make french fries or deep fried anything for awhile and that should season it pretty quickly. Once it gets a solid thorough seasoning, then it almost becomes a teflon pan. Heavy, but pretty much non-stick.

Hmm, FWIW, just about any time I use any of the cast iron pans, it starts out with smearing a half teaspoon of oil around on the inside while it heats up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or