U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 10:58 AM

901 posts, read 433,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
What kind of oil did you use? You need a high temp oil and despite all the Food Network and Racheal Ray hype, olive oil isn't the right oil for high temp cooking.

Now the other big thing is how high did you have the temp on the pan? It's really hard to get a high enough temp in most kitchens without some smoke from the meat. Most home kitchens really aren't designed to pull the smoke out fast enough. I have to be real careful when cooking meat indoors not to set off the smoke alarm. Which usually means starting with a hot pan to get a quick sear and then bringing the temp down fast, before it smokes too much.
I did use olive oil, and I kept it at high heat. I am thinking it is easier to put on a winter coat, and grill outdoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 11:02 AM

10,775 posts, read 17,075,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I did use olive oil, and I kept it at high heat. I am thinking it is easier to put on a winter coat, and grill outdoors.
Cast iron skillets should be used at medium on the burner, not high.

It takes a while for it to heat up, but it gets and stays very very hot.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:12 AM

3,238 posts, read 614,751 times
Quote:
Don't use olive oil to season your cast iron pots/pans. Use a high temperature oil like grapeseed oil. It works wonders, and won't smoke up your house. I put mine in the oven at 450F for an hour, let them cool down, wipe them off, and repeat with new oil.

They work so well I've got rid of all my "non-stick" pans. I keep some stainless steel pots for acidic foods like tomatoes etc. They do not do well with cast iron.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:27 AM

6,106 posts, read 3,265,133 times
Quote:
Yep. Definitely don't use olive oil for grilling, no matter how you've seasoned the pan or what kind of pan you're using. Olive oil has a very low smoke point and the temps needed for grilling are just too high for olive oil. Grape seed, peanut, or canola for grilling. Lower grade olive oil is good for sautéing so long as you keep the heat down. EVOO (argh Food Network) is best where it's flavor is needed like dressings and as a mixture into food, but not for frying/grilling. Costs too much and the smoke point is way to low. We keep several different oils in the kitchen. There just isn't a single do everything oil.

For the steaks, start them on high and then bring the temp down to medium (or whatever on your stove that gives the best temp; they're all different) or better yet, finish slow in the oven.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:36 AM

2,055 posts, read 717,388 times
Im the only one in my household that uses my cast iron set. And nothing beats it IMO. Sure you gotta do the upkeep but the way the food comes out makes it worth it.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:40 AM

1,561 posts, read 497,247 times
Default Oil smoke point article & chart

https://jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutri...t-smoke-points

Old 01-01-2019, 11:45 AM

901 posts, read 433,683 times
Thanks for the tips everyone May try it again.....with the right oil.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:08 PM

8,628 posts, read 7,624,083 times
Here is an article with pictures to show you two methods of seasoning and maintaining Cast Iron Cookware.

https://www.wikihow.com/Season-Cast-Iron-Cookware

Old 01-01-2019, 02:51 PM

615 posts, read 205,252 times
I actually clean my Griswold, BSR, and even lowly Lodge, with (cringe) Dawn and a blue Scotchbrite sponge. gets off the crud, doesn't hurt the seasoning, and then I warm them on the stove and wipe down with canola. Mostly use my Lodge dutch oven for chili. No rusting issues EVER. I think we have at least 30 pieces of mostly Griswold CI. Probably more. I have at least 15 that I have to strip and reseason. Including the Lodge, I think I'm up to 5 or 6 dutch ovens.... If I see them at a thrift store or a deal at an antique store, I just buy them..... fun cooking 3 steaks on 3 different #8 skillets at the same time. Wife makes a thing called a Dutch Baby in a #6 or #8.....delicious for breakfast with real maple syrup.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:20 PM

13,815 posts, read 18,669,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Scrubbing cast iron with soap or scouring powder is a BIG no-no once it's seasoned. It just removes all the seasoning and then you have to start over with the seasoning. Once it's properly seasoned, it shouldn't be necessary. It should make it non-stick.
This is not true, you can wash your cast iron pans with soap. The seasoning is polymerized, and even a strong dish soap like Dawn will not remove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or