U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 10:56 AM

3,013 posts, read 1,285,745 times

Advertisements

The correct method , that has worked for me so many times.

After use, clean with detergent and a sponge/scrubber. Then leave it on the stove on medium heat, until the water completely dissolves .Leave in the oven for storage.

If there is ever any rust stains, wash with a sponge and table salt, then use a brillo pad. Dry on top of a stove over medium heat, then store in a dry space.

For daily usage, I use a half teaspoon of canola oil, and wipe the cooking surfaces with a paper towel. Heat on medium before cooking. I do not need to use too much oil, unless for frying chicken parts. Eggs, pancakes, tortillas, searing meat ,etc only needs a little oil wipe.

I am 15+ years on the same cookware , mostly Lodge products. The only downside is the weight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 01:14 PM

1,561 posts, read 490,630 times
I've read all the posts & appreciate everyone taking their time to respond.

Here's a helpful article:
https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/...it-matter.html

I'll update later... still under the weather & having surgery in a few days, so my mind is elsewhere... that's the only reason I haven't repped or replied to individual posts.

Thank you for all the replies & links. I've done all of them... every single method mentioned. Again, I'll update sometime next week... I'm re/seasoning like a madwoman now & will let you all know of the end results mid-month.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Old 01-03-2019, 01:19 PM

24,373 posts, read 31,620,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
LODGE pans do not require the oven seasoning step.
If itís a preseasoned pan, then true.
But there are plenty of old Lodge pans out there that have had the preseasoning removed. My BF bought one and sanded all that off and got it back to a smooth surface. And then seasoned it. Much much better.r

Old Today, 02:33 PM

4,504 posts, read 5,027,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Wow, I have bought cast iron 3 times, twice I promptly returned it, the other one I gave away after seasoning it without using it at all. Was just overwhelmed by the care it needs. Your experience tells me never to buy it again.
Just bought one for the fourth time! Simply didn't think I should miss such a good deal. I plan to only use it for baking bread, not for cooking, so quality is not that much of a concern. a 3.2 qt cast iron dutch oven with lid for $17, pretty awesome deal.

Old Today, 04:04 PM

8,989 posts, read 8,330,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Just bought one for the fourth time! Simply didn't think I should miss such a good deal. I plan to only use it for baking bread, not for cooking, so quality is not that much of a concern. a 3.2 qt cast iron dutch oven with lid for $17, pretty awesome deal.
So nice, you posted it twice.

Old Today, 04:23 PM

4,504 posts, read 5,027,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I don't have a problem with cleaning my stainless steel pots and pans. If something does get stuck on, I soak the stainless pan in a bit of Barkeeper's Friend and water, for no longer than 30 minutes. This is generally enough to remove crud and leave the stainless clean and shiny, though yours will be scuffed from the SOS pads. But all stainless scratches.

I use Dobie pads, though soft sponges are what's recommended, presumably because of the scratching. I don't know firsthand if it's the Dobie pads that do it or the Barkeeper's, as I'd been using the two together before I noticed the scratches when my cookware was new. But they do get scratched, and I find the Dobie pads provide such better cleaning action than soft sponges. Since you'll have scratched yours already with the SOS, I'd choose the superior Dobie pads. The scratching doesn't affect the cooking in any way.
Most of my cookware are high quality stainless steel. They are naturally nonstick if you oil them properly when cooking; I've fried and flipped pancakes with them. And they are, indeed, super easy to clean. If dish detergent is not enough, just boil hot water, and when it gets boiled, add baking soda, soak for a few minutes, wash, and it's like new again with mirror finish. I never (never needed) to use touch scratching pads, just plastic brushes or sponges (esp. magic sponge, does wonder). Any touch pad/brush would cause scratches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
So nice, you posted it twice.

I know, just to share the good deal I found.

Old Today, 04:43 PM

1,758 posts, read 663,659 times
I bought a large lodge unseasoned skillet. Finally got it seasoned somewhat but still occasionally got some rust. I haven't had any problems since I pretty much stopped washing with soap and water. I just scrape with a plastic scrapper lighly, wipe it out with paper towels, no scrubbing, let it get crusty build up. Occasionally wipe down with vegetable oil. Store UPSIDE down in oven... that's the only place it fits for storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or