U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2019, 07:26 AM

17,738 posts, read 22,801,087 times

Advertisements

I had some rust on a large cast iron skillet I bought at a lawn sale..

I put one of those wire heads in an electric screwdriver and lightly sanded off the rust spots and smoothed it out...worked great...many youtube videos do the same
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:00 PM

1,600 posts, read 514,132 times
Default Update...

Okay, so I found that the only grease I can effectively use to 'season' my low quality, Lodge pots/pans is protein... bacon grease or beef fat... bacon works best, although I must tolerate the flavor in other foods... I'll manage.

I still have a lot of cleaning to do once finished cooking, but it's better than when using olive/avocado/other oils, butter or the many other suggestions, which makes the cleaning process 3-times what's 'normal'.

As others have said... once moving, I'll be tossing/donating the pans & won't buy them again. It's too much work & no matter which method I use (I've seen 50 YTube vids & read 25 articles), it's not optimal. I've been trying, unsuccessfully, since 2010 with varying pans.

I think the key to effective seasoning (in my experience, with my particular pans) is more expensive cast iron is optimal, and/or seasoning depends upon which foods one cooks. I'll use what I have now, but am glad that I didn't donate my large/small crockpots, cuz I use them more than cast iron... basically, the latter is used for frying eggs & requires monstrous cleanup.

I'm moving in 8-mos, so I don't care. I think the low quality of the pans & food cooked is the issue (I used to own my grandma's pan, which required little work, but it cracked in half decades ago... boo), but, I can't afford the higher end pans... so be it. Maybe someday.

In the meantime, the crockpots are working to their full potential & well worth the price. Can't say the same for the Lodge.... again, in MY EXPERIENCE. I understand that others have varying results, but I can only comment on my 9-yrs of trial & error with 1/2-dozen pans/pots... mainly error. I'm done with them... can't wait to toss them.

Thank you, All for suggestions & comments... Happy President's Day!

Old Today, 03:29 PM

3,281 posts, read 3,967,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
bacon works best, although I must tolerate the flavor in other foods.

I love it when I have to tolerate the taste of bacon.

Old Today, 03:48 PM

1,600 posts, read 514,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I love it when I have to tolerate the taste of bacon.
Depends on what's mingled with it, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or