U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 11:43 PM

29,645 posts, read 16,382,164 times

Advertisements

Leftover pineapple-teriyaki chicken with brown rice
Salad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 12:11 AM

14,227 posts, read 4,608,927 times
A combo pizza with pepperoni, tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic & olives. Salad. Drank Apocalypse IPA.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:19 AM

10,478 posts, read 4,544,213 times
West African inspired groundnut and yam stew over jasmine rice.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:36 AM

3,458 posts, read 970,326 times
I had doordash bring me Fish & Chips from a local pub.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:09 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,950,959 times
The husband's goose last night was a thing of beauty. He stuffed it with mirepox and lemons. He scored the skin and rubbed it with lemon zest. He finished that baby with a raspberry maple glaze. It was one of the best things I have eaten in a long time!

Tonight will be grilled kielbasa with a cucumber salad.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:23 AM

70,488 posts, read 81,472,477 times
Looks like the partying is over and now it is time to get back in a regular routine. Tonight we are having scallops over pasta and a nice spinach salad. Just a regular meal, no left overs, no party plates, no football, just a nice cool Wednesday in Jan.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:34 AM

5,773 posts, read 3,279,683 times
That is one glamorous goose! The glaze is making my mouth water.

It's still grazing time around here. I made a fruit salad and we've got the fixings for a tossed salad. I think just salad will be sufficient for me for a while.

It's a tendency of my heritage, I'm afraid, to be suspicious of too much of a good thing. LOL. Was just talking with a friend on the phone about this earlier this week. We both come from cold and hungry people near the Arctic Circle looking for something better.

I don't know if it's from being of immigrant origin, the old folks fleeing starvation in Norway, a stereotyped characteristic of stoic Norwegians in general or a remnant of old style religion but there is a wariness of overdoing on anything which might bring joy.

We had such a good example of this during our holiday meal. Background: Some impatient driver in the drive-through line at a fast food place had backed up and into son's new car. He had a case in with the insurance company and they called right in the middle of our meal.

Son returned to the table all excited with the good news. They were going to pay an outrageous amount for the damage and since son had a friend in the business he could get the work done for pennies and pocket the rest.

So all was joy and cheer for a while. Then a long silence. Son broke the silence with words that must have echoed his skeptical forefathers. "Now I suppose something bad is going to happen."

The old gods are watching. I just know we're all going to have to pay dearly for all this feasting and celebration.

Last edited by Lodestar; 01-02-2019 at 09:55 AM..

Old 01-02-2019, 10:04 AM

11,905 posts, read 3,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
West African inspired groundnut and yam stew over jasmine rice.
Yum. I have a couple of recipes for this, but haven't made it for a long time. Soon. Very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
The husband's goose last night was a thing of beauty. He stuffed it with mirepox and lemons. He scored the skin and rubbed it with lemon zest. He finished that baby with a raspberry maple glaze. It was one of the best things I have eaten in a long time!

That looks and sounds delicious. I have never roasted a goose, but always wanted to try, so thanks for the inspiration!

Tonight's dinner will be leftovers from yesterday: purple hull peas, which I prefer to black-eyed, greens, and cornbread. I am hopelessly addicted to Chinese food and could eat it every day, but this is one traditional American dish I simply cannot leave alone, and about the only thing I sit and eat until I actually feel stuffed. Housemate will also have a slice of ham, but I'll pass on that. The meat I used to flavor the peas is plenty for me, and I have plans for the extra ham.

Keyword for tomorrow's dinner: light, and maybe citrus-y. Probably fish or seafood with pasta or rice and a salad.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:46 AM

10,478 posts, read 4,544,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post

Next time a goose in the park rudely honks at me, I'll be tempted to try this dish out. It looks divine!

Old 01-02-2019, 01:03 PM

11,924 posts, read 14,462,015 times
Baked salmon fillets, a salad and dinner rolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or