U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:10 AM
Status: "The best view is after the hardest climb." (set 10 days ago)

42,374 posts, read 33,847,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I purchase a The Galette des Rois or King Cake every year from my french bakery.

It is only available on the Epiphany. It isn't a cake, but more of a pastry. No fruit involved. It is a Catholic tradition, not a Protestant one so I don't believe England has Kings Cake.

I've never made it, but here a link https://frenchfoodintheus.org/1059

Ingredients:
cup of Sugar
1/3 cup of Butter
2 eggs
2 yolks
1 cup of Ground almond
2 rolls of puff pastry

For the frangipane

Whip the sugar and the butter at room temperature until the mix whitens. Add one whole egg while keeping whipping, then the ground almond and then the other egg. Mix well.

For the puff pastry

Cook or buy the equivalent of 2 rolls of puff pastry. Spread each puff pastry in the shape of a plate. On one of the puff pastry, pour the Frangipane in the middle and spread it on the pastry while avoiding the sides. Put the other pastry on top and roll the sides towards the inside to seal the galette. Then take a brush and spread some yolk on the whole cake to give it a golden color. Let the whole cake rest for 45 minutes. Spread again some yolk. With a knife, draw horizontal and vertical lines on the dough (without cutting it!) and put in an oven for 25 minutes at 400 F. Serve mild or hot and enjoy!
Yum! Pour copious amounts of cream cheese frosting over this and sprinkle it with green, gold, and purple sugar, top with a few strands of Mardi Gras beads and you've got yourself a New Orleans style King Cake!

You are right - they are typically closer to a pastry than a cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 08:38 AM

52,632 posts, read 51,779,752 times
I think I just gained two pounds reading the last few posts.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think I just gained two pounds reading the last few posts.
And right after all the holiday food! OMG.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And right after all the holiday food! OMG.
We're not done yet. My siblings/nieces/mother have our Christmas gathering every year after the New Year because it's too difficult to get everyone together during the actual holidays. So, it's next Saturday. We just do a $10 silly grab bag thing, and...eat. Everyone brings food. Too much food. We do call it our Epiphany party because it often hit around then, but it's a bit later this year.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:05 AM

295 posts, read 96,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We're not done yet. My siblings/nieces/mother have our Christmas gathering every year after the New Year because it's too difficult to get everyone together during the actual holidays. So, it's next Saturday. We just do a $10 silly grab bag thing, and...eat. Everyone brings food. Too much food. We do call it our Epiphany party because it often hit around then, but it's a bit later this year.
What a nice idea!

Old 01-06-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
What a nice idea!
Thanks. Yes, I am one of six living siblings, and we've been doing this for years/a couple of decades (and when there were still seven of us and my father was still living.)

About twenty years ago, maybe more, it just got too difficult for people to get together on Christmas what with everyone's extended families and so forth, so we started doing this. At first we had a $25 gift-name exchange between sibs and significant others and bought for my parents and the kids, but then some people had financial difficulties, and the kids grew up and wanted to be part of the adult thing, so we reduced it to the $10 grab-bag game.

My mother is 90, and every year someone can't make it for one reason or another (one BIL is suffering from MS and can no longer travel, a niece works weekends, my daughter will be in Europe, etc.) but we keep the get-together up. I imagine that once my mother is gone, this tradition will sadly end.

Meanwhile, we eat! Everyone brings something and we all end up taking home leftovers. This year I am making a carrot halwa, which is a Pakistani dessert (I work part-time for Paki engineers and the company president gave me her recipe after I tried it at an event). The basic recipe is grated carrot cooked in butter until soft, sweetened condensed milk, cardamom, and almonds. It is served warm. There are variations--some use different nuts, some add raisins, different spices. But it tastes sort of like carrot cake without the cake, and it works for the gluten-intolerant.

I actually think it would be good over vanilla ice cream.

Pakistani Epiphany Halwa. Hehehe.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:25 AM

3,577 posts, read 7,045,475 times
To tack on to what KathrynAragon said - if you get the baby then you are the one who should bring the King cake to the next party.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
To tack on to what KathrynAragon said - if you get the baby then you are the one who should bring the King cake to the next party.
Absolutely! King cakes for WEEKS!

Old 01-06-2019, 08:53 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"🙏 ❄⭐🎄⛄
2,707 posts, read 5,019,762 times
Talking Thank you so much!

Quote:
I purchase a The Galette des Rois or King Cake every year from my french bakery.

It is only available on the Epiphany. It isn't a cake, but more of a pastry. No fruit involved. It is a Catholic tradition, not a Protestant one so I don't believe England has Kings Cake.

I've never made it, but here a link https://frenchfoodintheus.org/1059

Ingredients:
cup of Sugar
1/3 cup of Butter
2 eggs
2 yolks
1 cup of Ground almond
2 rolls of puff pastry

For the frangipane

Whip the sugar and the butter at room temperature until the mix whitens. Add one whole egg while keeping whipping, then the ground almond and then the other egg. Mix well.

For the puff pastry

Cook or buy the equivalent of 2 rolls of puff pastry. Spread each puff pastry in the shape of a plate. On one of the puff pastry, pour the Frangipane in the middle and spread it on the pastry while avoiding the sides. Put the other pastry on top and roll the sides towards the inside to seal the galette. Then take a brush and spread some yolk on the whole cake to give it a golden color. Let the whole cake rest for 45 minutes. Spread again some yolk. With a knife, draw horizontal and vertical lines on the dough (without cutting it!) and put in an oven for 25 minutes at 400 F. Serve mild or hot and enjoy!
Hello YORKTOWNGAL!

Thank you for the recipe & link! I love everything homemade, so this is great! YUM!

A Blessed & Happy EPIPHANY SEASON to you & yours!

🎄 🌟 🎁 🔔 🙏 🎵🎄

Old 01-08-2019, 07:33 PM

17,898 posts, read 22,221,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
12th Night Cake

If you ever read or watched the movie by Charles Dickens a "Christmas Carol",

you probably heard or read the term "12th Night Cake". People all over the world

eat it on the 12th Night of Christmas. Which happens to be 12 nights after

December 25-Christmas Day. It is a huge celebration in a lot of homes around the world,

including in the US. I believe a lot of people eat & or bake it in Quebec, Louisiana & of course

other parts of the US. It is to celebrate when the Three Wise Men/ Three Kings visited & paid

homage to the Baby Jesus. Also called Epiphany. If I am not mistaken in places like

New Orleans, they will have the Kings Cake on the 12th Night & through Mardi Gras.

So, have you made a 12th Night Cake or a KINGS CAKE?

Do you eat it on the 12th Night of Christmas or afterwards as well?

Would you like to share your recipe with us? Thank you.

Here is a cool video with an old fashioned recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1CQlacX2U

A Blessed CHRISTMASTIDE 2018-2019🎄

A Blessed & Happy 12th Night of Christmas-Epiphany to ALL!🎄

🎄 🌟 🎁 🔔 🙏 🎵🎄

Thank you SO much for posting this! I have not personally baked one, but I have had King's Cake and Epiphany Cake at Epiphany Parties. Alas, not in NOLA.

I've needed a recipe.

I'm not sure what your background is, but many people DO continue to celebrate Christmas tide even AFTER 12th night.

There are some people who keep decorations up until Candlemas - Feb 1st. There seems to be a biblical reason for that, as well as a church tradition that was popular in the middle ages.

So, I am doing that this year.

King's Cake is really delicious and I love the folk lore surrounding it. The little charms and the coin that "predict the fortune" of the coming year.

I just love traditions like this - let's search them out, and revive them all.

I do not celebrate "retail dictated holidays".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or