U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 08:51 PM

4,498 posts, read 2,275,821 times

Advertisements

Do people ever put an edible baby in the cake instead of a plastic doll?

I wonder what would retain its appearance through the baking process. The idea of a plastic thing being baked inside is not appealing to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 08:56 PM

11,492 posts, read 6,870,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Do people ever put an edible baby in the cake instead of a plastic doll?

I wonder what would retain its appearance through the baking process. The idea of a plastic thing being baked inside is not appealing to me.
You don't bake the baby into the cake, you put it in after.

You can use a coffee bean or raisin if you want to make it in.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:29 AM

4,498 posts, read 2,275,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You don't bake the baby into the cake, you put it in after.

You can use a coffee bean or raisin if you want to make it in.
So the baby is hidden between cuts in the cake or in the frosting?

Old 01-09-2019, 01:21 PM

11,492 posts, read 6,870,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
So the baby is hidden between cuts in the cake or in the frosting?
No, it's hidden in the cake before it is cut.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:23 PM

3,196 posts, read 1,543,689 times
I've never even eaten any, much less made one. Something for the bucket list.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:30 PM

6,094 posts, read 7,309,276 times
Years ago we regularly hosted a Mardi Gras themed party the weekend before Fat Tuesday. No reason for the theme other than it was that time of year and gave us an excuse in the cold Chicago winter to do something fun.

I ordered King Cake from Haydel's Bakery to be delivered. It was the "early days" of online shopping so it was pretty amazing I found the place. It was fun and tasty, especially then next morning when we had slight hangovers.

Also order Zapp's chips and some other foods from New Orleans.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:31 PM

21,009 posts, read 26,187,958 times
In Quebec the tradition of having another Christmas-type party at the Epiphany (Fête des Rois) has largely died out, but if you do happen to have people over during that weekend for whatever reason, it's still very much de rigueur to serve a galette des rois as dessert.

Generally you hide something like a bean or a coin in the cake.

Old Yesterday, 05:00 AM

9,004 posts, read 8,339,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
I find the history of all of these cakes, recipes, traditions fascinating. And I love to hear of different family recipes & or traditions

Thank you for your input.

A Blessed 12th Night-A Blessed Epiphany-A Blessed Christmas Season to ALL!

�� �� �� �� �� ����
Here's a post from American-pastry-chef-in-Paris David Lebovitz's Instagram. He made une galette des rois pour l’Epiphanie. He's eating it with Grand Marnier. https://www.instagram.com/p/BsYyndrA14P/

Here is his recipe: https://www.davidlebovitz.com/galett...s-cake-recipe/

And a happy belated 12th Night to you!

Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

434 posts, read 393,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In Quebec the tradition of having another Christmas-type party at the Epiphany (Fête des Rois) has largely died out, but if you do happen to have people over during that weekend for whatever reason, it's still very much de rigueur to serve a galette des rois as dessert.

Generally you hide something like a bean or a coin in the cake.
Pretty much everyone I know who has kids here in Montreal did serve a galette des rois on January 6th - my Facebook feed showed many pictures of kids wearing the crown (there's a trinket - not a baby! - in the cake ; the one who finds it is the "king of the day").

My own kids really, really enjoy this tradition and look forward to it.

What's traditional in Montreal is what English wikipedia calls the "French king cake (Northern style)". It's sooo good! More (and better) pictures here.

I discussed this with my colleagues, and it seems that every one who grew up in Montreal is familiar with the galette des rois tradition and their families did it while they were kids, but colleages who grew up elsewhere, not so much. Some didn't even know about this tradition. Might be a Montreal-specific thing that's spreaded elsewhere in Quebec. My parents, who grew up in Montreal, don't remember a time when this was not a tradition - their parents did serve a gâteau des rois when they were young, but not the flaky puff pastry layers with a dense center of frangipane that is now the norm - and always was in France. A "regular" cake with a bean was the norm 60 - 70 years ago.

Apparently the galette des rois tradition is getting more and more popular, according to this Radio-Canada news item.

Last edited by begratto; Yesterday at 12:33 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM

295 posts, read 96,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Pretty much everyone I know who has kids here in Montreal did serve a galette des rois on January 6th - my Facebook feed showed many pictures of kids wearing the crown (there's a trinket - not a baby! - in the cake ; the one who finds it is the "king of the day").

We get a trinket too. This year, it was 3/4 inch owl. Last year, it was a tiny French women in traditional dress.

It's ceramic, not plastic. It's baked into the galette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or