U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM

96 posts, read 42,128 times

Advertisements

I've never heard of a 12th Night Cake either. King cake I heard of. Never made either one, but you bet after reading 3 mouth watering pages I sure will next year!

TU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM

21,009 posts, read 26,187,958 times
Before this thread I thought 12th night only referred to a play by Shakespeare.

Old Today, 11:57 AM

9,495 posts, read 3,231,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Before this thread I thought 12th night only referred to a play by Shakespeare.

The play was set on the eve of the 12th night, hence the name, you also have the famous verse The 12 days of Christmas, and it is mentioned by numerous authors including Charles Dickens. The Theatre Royal on Drury Lane in London has produced a Twelth Cake every year since 1794 for the ladies and gentlemen to enjoy in the Green Room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Library

As late as 1930 the Yorkshire Post was advising its readers that the Twelfth Cake should be made from a rich fruit mixture and that it was essential that the cake should contain a bean or a silver penny or charm.

The tradition of the Twelfth Cake lives on at London’s Theatre Royal Drury Lane where the Baddeley Cake ceremony takes place every year on 6 January. Actor Robert Baddeley who died in 1794 made a bequest in his will that the interest on £100 in 3% consolidated bank annuities was to be used each year to purchase a Twelfth Cake with wine and punch. The ladies and gentlemen of Drury Lane Theatre were to enjoy these in the Green Room.

Twelfth Day - British Library

Old Today, 12:08 PM

257 posts, read 52,044 times
3 kings cake yes. Had it in Puerto Rico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or