Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 10:33 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,196,641 times

Advertisements

12th Night Cake

If you ever read or watched the movie by Charles Dickens a "Christmas Carol",

you probably heard or read the term "12th Night Cake". People all over the world

eat it on the 12th Night of Christmas. Which happens to be 12 nights after

December 25-Christmas Day. It is a huge celebration in a lot of homes around the world,

including in the US. I believe a lot of people eat & or bake it in Quebec, Louisiana & of course

other parts of the US. It is to celebrate when the Three Wise Men/ Three Kings visited & paid

homage to the Baby Jesus. Also called Epiphany. If I am not mistaken in places like

New Orleans, they will have the Kings Cake on the 12th Night & through Mardi Gras.

So, have you made a 12th Night Cake or a KINGS CAKE?

Do you eat it on the 12th Night of Christmas or afterwards as well?

Would you like to share your recipe with us? Thank you.

Here is a cool video with an old fashioned recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1CQlacX2U

A Blessed CHRISTMASTIDE 2018-2019🎄

A Blessed & Happy 12th Night of Christmas-Epiphany to ALL!🎄

🎄 🌟 🎁 🔔 🙏 🎵🎄
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 06:36 AM

1,371 posts, read 667,171 times
Soon to be ex-son-in-law always orders a King Cake from some famous bakery in NOLA. He was born just across the river and lived there until his mid 20s. To me, it's a yeasty tasting, coffee cake sort of texture. Not something I would go out of my way to eat, but more of a traditional thing.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:56 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
never heard of it...tho ive heard something called divinity...think it was a fudge...

Old 01-05-2019, 09:06 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
I belong to an Episcopal Church, which is one of the churches that observes Epiphany ("Christmas is a season") and so someone usually makes one of these cakes for coffee hour on the Sunday nearest Epiphany.

They bake a cake and hide a plastic baby in it, and the person who gets the plastic baby (and doesn't choke on it) "wins". It just always grossed me out to know that there was this ugly tiny plastic baby in the cake, lol.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:33 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
MightyQueen, that is what I heard about when I was in GA over the Christmas season one year. Except that the cake was not any specific recipe. The hidden baby was the essential element.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:36 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
MightyQueen, that is what I heard about when I was in GA over the Christmas season one year. Except that the cake was not any specific recipe. The hidden baby was the essential element.
Yes, same here. The cakes I've seen it in have been basic yellow cakes.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:52 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,196,641 times
Thumbs up Thanks! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
Soon to be ex-son-in-law always orders a King Cake from some famous bakery in NOLA. He was born just across the river and lived there until his mid 20s. To me, it's a yeasty tasting, coffee cake sort of texture. Not something I would go out of my way to eat, but more of a traditional thing.

Thanks for your post

If I am not mistaken, the Kings Cake from NOLA is a bit different from the typical 12th Night Cake. Although both are used to celebrate the
12th Night of Christmas, Epiphany. Part of the Christmas Season.

I believe that the 12th Night Cake is similar to what a Fruit Cake might be, but it tastes a lot better than a regular Fruit Cake. A lot of 12th Night Cake recipes are from England, and I think the American fruit cake probably came from that.

But, again, what I have noticed is that even though you might have dried fruits & similar ingredients in a fruit cake, a panettone, a Christmas Cake, a 12th Night Cake, a plum pudding, they are NOT the same thing.

I find the history of all of these cakes, recipes, traditions fascinating. And I love to hear of different family recipes & or traditions

Thank you for your input.

A Blessed 12th Night-A Blessed Epiphany-A Blessed Christmas Season to ALL!

🎄 🌟 🎁 🔔 🙏 🎵🎄

Old 01-05-2019, 08:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
If I am not mistaken, the Kings Cake from NOLA is a bit different from the typical 12th Night Cake. Although both are used to celebrate the 12th Night of Christmas, Epiphany. Part of the Christmas Season.

I believe that the 12th Night Cake is similar to what a Fruit Cake might be, but it tastes a lot better than a regular Fruit Cake. A lot of 12th Night Cake recipes are from England, and I think the American fruit cake probably came from that.
I always thought the fruit cake like dessert in England was Christmas Cake, which is different from a 12th night cake.

The 12th night, or king cakes, that I've had are more like a brioche type braided cake, or even a puff pastry, with icing and sugared sprinkles.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
A King Cake in New Orleans is pretty specific:

https://www.nola.com/expo/life-and-c...whats-new.html

They are typically braided and covered in icing, which is sometimes in Mardi Gras colors (green, purple and gold). But there are lots of different flavors.

King cakes are especially popular between Jan 6 and Ash Wednesday (this year March 6).

This year, Blue Bell ice cream has a Mardi Gras flavor out, and supposedly it's "king cake" flavored.

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Old 01-05-2019, 09:59 PM

7,329 posts, read 4,121,162 times
I purchase a The Galette des Rois or King Cake every year from my french bakery.

It is only available on the Epiphany. It isn't a cake, but more of a pastry. No fruit involved. It is a Catholic tradition, not a Protestant one so I don't believe England has Kings Cake.

I've never made it, but here a link https://frenchfoodintheus.org/1059

Ingredients:
– ½ cup of Sugar
– 1/3 cup of Butter
– 2 eggs
– 2 yolks
– 1 cup of Ground almond
– 2 rolls of puff pastry

For the frangipane

Whip the sugar and the butter at room temperature until the mix whitens. Add one whole egg while keeping whipping, then the ground almond and then the other egg. Mix well.

For the puff pastry

Cook or buy the equivalent of 2 rolls of puff pastry. Spread each puff pastry in the shape of a plate. On one of the puff pastry, pour the Frangipane in the middle and spread it on the pastry while avoiding the sides. Put the other pastry on top and roll the sides towards the inside to seal the galette. Then take a brush and spread some yolk on the whole cake to give it a golden color. Let the whole cake rest for 45 minutes. Spread again some yolk. With a knife, draw horizontal and vertical lines on the dough (without cutting it!) and put in an oven for 25 minutes at 400 F. Serve mild or hot and enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink