U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 12:39 PM

10,220 posts, read 4,412,165 times

Advertisements

I bought a container of this a few days ago, and on the surface I'm seeing a bunch of small white bumps/dots.

I googled around and it seems it's either worms or coagulated fat/protein from the fish, but I'm not sure which is more likely in the case of lox.

I really hate wasting food, but I don't want worms either.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 12:44 PM

1,573 posts, read 765,161 times
It's normal and okay to eat.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:34 AM

243 posts, read 69,079 times
Costco and Whole Foods customers found worms on the packaged salmon recently (last summer). Store staff said that was normal for fish to have worms. It would be hard for me to eat it now, where before it was on my menu at least one or two times per month.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:40 AM

70,123 posts, read 80,779,203 times
Oldgarderer thanks. I didn't know that. Settled0 I wouldn't let this stop me as I have heard fish do have worms. I have been eating fish my entire 81 years, don't think I have gotten worms from the seafood yet.I have heard that Cat fish is awful for you because they eat from the bottom of the lakes. Though I am not a lover of Cat fish, many I know eat it weekly.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:29 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,805,783 times
"I have heard that Cat fish is awful for you because they eat from the bottom of the lakes."......yes, wild catfish do indeed eat clams from the lake bottom, as well as anything else the in water column from top to bottom, including the boneless/skinless chicken breasts that I put on my hooks. Farm raised catfish eat commercial pelleted food that is consumed long before it reaches the bottom of the pond, and are no better tasting than wild catfish. IMO, there is no finer eating fresh water fish, except trout and walleye....

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-06-2019, 08:09 PM

17,560 posts, read 22,612,194 times
if we could see the microscopic critters all over us daily.....we'd be horrified..

if their are worms in fish and I don't see them...im ok with that..

I love soft fruit.... but if too ripe the little fruit flies magically appear.....which leaves me wondering.....if all of us are eating fruit fly larvae ….. with most soft fruits?? and this doesn't seem to be a deterrent..

ive filleted a ton of fish....use to work in a fish market … and as a seafood manager... the warmer water fish seem to have more worms...…. the worms ive seen are quite apparent

Old 01-06-2019, 09:38 PM

243 posts, read 69,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
if we could see the microscopic critters all over us daily.....we'd be horrified..

if their are worms in fish and I don't see them...im ok with that..

I love soft fruit.... but if too ripe the little fruit flies magically appear.....which leaves me wondering.....if all of us are eating fruit fly larvae .. with most soft fruits?? and this doesn't seem to be a deterrent..

ive filleted a ton of fish....use to work in a fish market and as a seafood manager... the warmer water fish seem to have more worms.... the worms ive seen are quite apparent
Interesting that you've confirmed what I heard. So are all meats apt to have worms??? or just fish. And one more question, do you eat fish after working in the industry?

Old 01-07-2019, 01:03 PM

15,112 posts, read 16,929,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
Interesting that you've confirmed what I heard. So are all meats apt to have worms??? or just fish. And one more question, do you eat fish after working in the industry?
If you eat salads, fruit and vegetables, I assure you that you have probably consumed pounds of invertebrate eggs, larvae, and insect parts in your lifetime.

Some insect eggs can hardly be scrubbed off a lettuce leaf much less the type of rinse most salad greens get, and fruits and vegetables usually have some eggs or larvae buried into the subsurface of the flesh.

It is just a fact of life.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:13 PM

70,123 posts, read 80,779,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If you eat salads, fruit and vegetables, I assure you that you have probably consumed pounds of invertebrate eggs, larvae, and insect parts in your lifetime.

Some insect eggs can hardly be scrubbed off a lettuce leaf much less the type of rinse most salad greens get, and fruits and vegetables usually have some eggs or larvae buried into the subsurface of the flesh.

It is just a fact of life.
as or meat and fish, isn't this the reason we are supposed to make sure they are fully cooked, so we won't ve eating raw eggs or worms of whatever. You are right and how many of us remember our parents or grandparents worrying about how many worms we eat per week or day?

Old 01-07-2019, 01:18 PM

15 posts, read 1,053 times
OP. You wrote it was lox. Lox is salt cured, but uncooked; there is no way worms would survive a salt cure. I think you are seeing fat lumps as lox comes from the belly of a salmon which is very fatty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or