U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2019, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Crook County, Illinois
3,162 posts, read 1,351,788 times
Reputation: 3869

Advertisements

Whenever I see descriptions of food components on Taco Bell menus, I see a pattern. If anything contains sour cream, it's always reduced-fat sour cream. Why?

First off, Taco Bell is far from a healthy food joint, and they make no bones about it, either. Their foods contain high-fat ground beef, nacho cheese sauce, refried beans, rice cooked in oil, greasy taco shells, etc. But the sour cream is reduced-fat. With everything being quite unhealthy, does it really make a difference to use reduced-fat sour cream? Especially with the new studies out, saying that full-fat dairy is healthier than low-fat dairy. Along with the fact that crema (variant of sour cream) in authentic Mexican dishes is usually full-fat.

Is there any benefit, to Taco Bell or to the consumer, in using reduced-fat sour cream? Is it cheaper than normal sour cream? Does it mesh better with other ingredients? Or it a "health halo" thing, like ordering a triple bacon cheeseburger, extra large fries, and a Diet Coke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2019, 07:30 PM
 
17,545 posts, read 22,600,282 times
Reputation: 32225
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Whenever I see descriptions of food components on Taco Bell menus, I see a pattern. If anything contains sour cream, it's always reduced-fat sour cream. Why?

First off, Taco Bell is far from a healthy food joint, and they make no bones about it, either. Their foods contain high-fat ground beef, nacho cheese sauce, refried beans, rice cooked in oil, greasy taco shells, etc. But the sour cream is reduced-fat. With everything being quite unhealthy, does it really make a difference to use reduced-fat sour cream? Especially with the new studies out, saying that full-fat dairy is healthier than low-fat dairy. Along with the fact that crema (variant of sour cream) in authentic Mexican dishes is usually full-fat.

Is there any benefit, to Taco Bell or to the consumer, in using reduced-fat sour cream? Is it cheaper than normal sour cream? Does it mesh better with other ingredients? Or it a "health halo" thing, like ordering a triple bacon cheeseburger, extra large fries, and a Diet Coke?


same reasons I see "organic" signs all over the produce section of some stores...these are not specific item signs but signs around the area..

while they may have 2-3 organic items the rest are not ...but its all aesthetics.....marketing..

if I label the beef I sell grass fed in big letters and grain finished in small letters ..I will sell twice as much (as long as the price is still decent) because the customer sees grass fed ..
and yes a halo word/phrase..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
8,386 posts, read 7,693,584 times
Reputation: 17736
Reduced fat anything is worse for you than the real thing.

It usually contains sugar to make up for the fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
10,679 posts, read 17,028,112 times
Reputation: 26308
My guess would be because itís runnier than thick full fat sour cream, and therefore easier to quickly scoop onto the food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Charlotte county, Florida
4,180 posts, read 5,091,813 times
Reputation: 12109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
My guess would be because itís runnier than thick full fat sour cream, and therefore easier to quickly scoop onto the food.
They squirt it out with a caulking type gun..

As for the reduced fat, Consumers scream that they want lighter, healthier choices so that's one of the ways they do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Long Island,NY
934 posts, read 483,215 times
Reputation: 1552
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Reduced fat anything is worse for you than the real thing.

It usually contains sugar to make up for the fat.
Not applicable to sour cream. Full fat Daisy contains one ingredient - Cream. The light version has 3 none of which are sugar or unhealthy.

I personally use light sour cream and find it very satisfying. I suspect Taco Bell uses it for efficiency/cost savings as it is easier to spread which probably results in using less product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 10:34 PM
 
1,489 posts, read 522,221 times
Reputation: 2784
reduced by 1% is still reduced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
10,679 posts, read 17,028,112 times
Reputation: 26308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
They squirt it out with a caulking type gun..

As for the reduced fat, Consumers scream that they want lighter, healthier choices so that's one of the ways they do it.
OK, well I still think my explanation makes sense. You couldn’t squirt full fat sour cream out of a gun efficiently, and they can use less product as Ralph suggests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2019, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Crook County, Illinois
3,162 posts, read 1,351,788 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
OK, well I still think my explanation makes sense. You couldn’t squirt full fat sour cream out of a gun efficiently, and they can use less product as Ralph suggests.
This makes a lot of sense. I highly doubt Taco Bell cares about making their food healthy. But being able to say "hey, it's reduced fat!" gives them a health halo, which means a revenue boost. They're basically benefiting from vestiges of the anti-fat hysteria, left over from 1990's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2019, 03:39 AM
 
Location: Eugene, Oregon
7,690 posts, read 2,432,905 times
Reputation: 10625
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Whenever I see descriptions of food components on Taco Bell menus, I see a pattern. If anything contains sour cream, it's always reduced-fat sour cream. Why?

First off, Taco Bell is far from a healthy food joint, and they make no bones about it, either. Their foods contain high-fat ground beef, nacho cheese sauce, refried beans, rice cooked in oil, greasy taco shells, etc. But the sour cream is reduced-fat. With everything being quite unhealthy, does it really make a difference to use reduced-fat sour cream? Especially with the new studies out, saying that full-fat dairy is healthier than low-fat dairy. Along with the fact that crema (variant of sour cream) in authentic Mexican dishes is usually full-fat.

Is there any benefit, to Taco Bell or to the consumer, in using reduced-fat sour cream? Is it cheaper than normal sour cream? Does it mesh better with other ingredients? Or it a "health halo" thing, like ordering a triple bacon cheeseburger, extra large fries, and a Diet Coke?

There's a type of non-fat sour cream, that is actually just a type of thicker yogurt that has a more tart taste. There's no more than a small amount of residual fat in it. You'd never get me to accept that full-fat dairy products were healthier or to eat any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top