U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cooking style do you fall in?
I am a free spirit and rarely follow recipes closely. I enjoy concocting my own dishes out of the blue. 21 58.33%
I sometimes alter recipes but only because an ingredient is missing or someone is allergic. Not for novelty or curiosity. 11 30.56%
I toe the recipe line most of the time. Why reinvent the wheel? 3 8.33%
I never change a recipe unless the creator suggests other versions. I donít like surprises. 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 11:49 AM

6,990 posts, read 9,042,110 times

Advertisements

I usually tweak because of my food allergies but sometimes I realize a recipe would be better with less of this or more of that, and go ahead and do the tweakage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 02:53 PM

12,159 posts, read 6,324,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Baking, I seldom alter anything, unless it's "I'm adding walnuts to the chocolate chip cookie recipe" type alteration. Baking depends more on exactness than most of the cooking I do.

I tend to lean more toward starting with a recipe in cooking, and then improvising as I go, unless I'm very specifically trying a certain dish and deliberately want it as written, am bringing it to an event and it is something I've never tried before, etc.

My husband eschews recipes entirely. Always has. He is very much an experimenter. Sometimes this works out very well, sometimes not so much. But he's overall got more successes than failures.
This is me pretty much.

With baking, itís chemistry and I learned long ago to diverge from recipes at my own peril.

To paraphrase a favorite Pirates of the Caribbean movie quote:

With everything else, itís like Pirate Law: More like guidelines.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:38 PM

305 posts, read 55,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Gemelli is hard to find too. Itís a nice sturdy pasta that doesnít get mushy in pasta salads.
Our stores quit carrying the gemelli for some reason., but they started carrying cascare (? Sp). It's a good sibstitute, Barilla collecione brand.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:35 PM

14,016 posts, read 7,591,185 times
Most times I try to follow the recipe pretty closely the first time I make it...then if necessary I'll tweak it. I used to rely heavily on reviews in deciding whether to try a recipe but found my tastes are too different, AND, people rate the recipe 5 stars but that's after they've changed the recipe so much it is unrecognizable!

Old 01-09-2019, 07:58 PM

10,685 posts, read 7,783,453 times
I like to follow the recipe. Proven results.
My judgement has been proven to be off more than once.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:09 PM

4,506 posts, read 2,281,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Gemelli is hard to find too. Itís a nice sturdy pasta that doesnít get mushy in pasta salads.
Farfalle works well in pasta salads.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:06 AM

329 posts, read 31,360 times
With first time recipes, I follow to the letter (as possible).

I'm especially careful with spices I'm not familiar with. Before I try, I'll see if I've tried a similar tasting spice.

Once I tried a new recipe I may make changes if needed.
If possible I like to try to put my spin on a recipe.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:17 AM

79 posts, read 17,819 times
I follow them exactly the first time, and am very deliberate about it. Then I might experiment with it after that, but most of the time I just go with tried-and-true formulas.

Old Today, 08:25 PM

478 posts, read 752,861 times
I am pretty much with most folks here, first time I follow the recipe as written (except for onion which my husband will not eat). Then, after that, I will modify as I see fit. Baking is pretty much by the recipe except for add ins which can vary, nuts, chips etc.

Old Today, 09:32 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,630,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I tweak, usually without trying first because sometimes you can just look at a recipe and know you want to add more onions, or more garlic, or you want to use sharp cheddar instead of mild, or you can't stand the texture of celery so you use celery leaves instead of the stalk and throw in an extra carrot instead. Baking is different, I don't tweak that unless I have tried it and I have a decent idea of how to adjust it without mangling it.
^This except I often ďtweakĒ a recipe when I bake. Last week I made an Orange Ricotta cake and used full fat buttermilk in place of ricotta. It was one of the best cakes Iíve ever made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or