Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cooking style do you fall in?
I am a free spirit and rarely follow recipes closely. I enjoy concocting my own dishes out of the blue. 21 55.26%
I sometimes alter recipes but only because an ingredient is missing or someone is allergic. Not for novelty or curiosity. 13 34.21%
I toe the recipe line most of the time. Why reinvent the wheel? 3 7.89%
I never change a recipe unless the creator suggests other versions. I don’t like surprises. 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 08:04 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

I rarely follow a recipe verbatim. I tend to look at a recipe online, TRY to remember the ingredients and measures, and go from there. Or I knowingly add or expand an ingredient that we really like (garlic, onions, shallots, vegetables to a stirfry).

Example: I made crack chicken last night for a party. I did follow a recipe, but added some thinly sliced scallions just before serving. I'm not sure they added any significant flavor, but they sure did make it look 'prettier'

Baking? Follow the recipe EXACTLY. Another reason I hate to bake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 08:11 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I tweak, usually without trying first because sometimes you can just look at a recipe and know you want to add more onions, or more garlic, or you want to use sharp cheddar instead of mild, or you can't stand the texture of celery so you use celery leaves instead of the stalk and throw in an extra carrot instead. Baking is different, I don't tweak that unless I have tried it and I have a decent idea of how to adjust it without mangling it.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:11 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Baking, I seldom alter anything, unless it's "I'm adding walnuts to the chocolate chip cookie recipe" type alteration. Baking depends more on exactness than most of the cooking I do.

I tend to lean more toward starting with a recipe in cooking, and then improvising as I go, unless I'm very specifically trying a certain dish and deliberately want it as written, am bringing it to an event and it is something I've never tried before, etc.

My husband eschews recipes entirely. Always has. He is very much an experimenter. Sometimes this works out very well, sometimes not so much. But he's overall got more successes than failures.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:40 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Baking, I seldom alter anything, unless it's "I'm adding walnuts to the chocolate chip cookie recipe" type alteration. Baking depends more on exactness than most of the cooking I do.

I tend to lean more toward starting with a recipe in cooking, and then improvising as I go, unless I'm very specifically trying a certain dish and deliberately want it as written, am bringing it to an event and it is something I've never tried before, etc.

My husband eschews recipes entirely. Always has. He is very much an experimenter. Sometimes this works out very well, sometimes not so much. But he's overall got more successes than failures.

I'd agree

Baking-Never

Everything else-Always

Old 01-08-2019, 08:51 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times
Professionally trained as a chef in AC. I regularly look at recipes for ingredient ideas.

I look at manufactures websites for ideas. They all do it. Crisco, Tropicana, Hershey's, Knorr, Angus Beef, etc..

Also tons of ideas on YouTube when approaching something for the first time..

Old 01-08-2019, 08:53 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
The poll showed up second but I had tried to delete this one. Couldn’t do it.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:59 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Please use this if you would like to be included in the poll. The question-only post should have been deleted.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:02 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
It depends.

Usually the first time I make something I try to adhere to the recipe, only changing/omitting items I don't have on hand and I don't feel are integral to the success of the dish. After that I may change a few things up from time to time.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:03 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
I have to tweak because I usually can't get all the ingredients. Even baking. Last night, I made a key lime pie with coconut milk and sugar because no condensed milk. Turned out good but had to bake way longer so there is that issue too. I made a coconut cream pie with flour (3 times as much, whew) because no cornstarch. It was still delish.

Thank God for googling "substitutions for..." and for the converting calculations---metric to oz. etc.
And for kitchen scales for the same reason.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:16 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I used to "tweak" recipes based on if I liked the ingredients (like anchovies). I then saw a comment from a chef, saying if people didn't follow the recipe exactly, they shouldn't complain about how it tastes. I now follow it exactly the first time, then tweak if needed.
Was it chef boy r dee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink