U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:09 AM

94 posts, read 13,192 times

Advertisements

See this thread fro 01/07/2019:

What's the best way to get stainless steel garlic out of its skin-by garlic press?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:25 AM

42,596 posts, read 50,694,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'll be the outlier and note that, for some applications, jarred/minced is fine...usually when it's not a main, showcased ingredient. Much of the time, it's worth the extra prep time to go with fresh, but there are times when, for me, a timesaving cheat really makes negligible difference.
Yup.
I go through the minced garlic bottle so fast, it tastes just fine for most of the applications I use it for.

Old Yesterday, 05:56 AM

9,400 posts, read 4,198,738 times
I buy the minced garlic in olive oil and once it's opened I put it in the fridge. I think it tastes fine. I cook so seldom these days that fresh garlic would go bad before I ever used it.

Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM

983 posts, read 730,997 times
I used to use minced garlic in a jar. While it certainly was not as good as fresh it helped make cooking easier. For the past ten years I have been buying fresh heads and processing as needed. I eat a clove daily for health..

---

Storing garlic in olive oil has a very short shelf life (4 days). Even refrigerated. You can get very sick or even dead (botulism). Do a Google. "University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources" warns of such. I am sure a Google search will also bring up additional resources.

http://ucfoodsafety.ucdavis.edu/files/250352.pdf

---

I clean my garlic press by shaking around in soapy water in wash basin. Also use a toothpick..

Last edited by NJBoy3; Yesterday at 06:34 AM..

Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM

23,441 posts, read 22,428,641 times
I no longer mince garlic. I takes too long. I just smash it and chop it up a bit.

Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM

3,761 posts, read 4,349,306 times
I use both, and feel there are purposes for both. Most of the time, if I'm cooking a meal, I use fresh garlic. But there are some recipes that need garlic, where the bottled stuff is just fine. Examples:

I do fresh corn-on-the-cob almost every time I cook something on the grill or smoker. I like to husk it, apply butter, garlic and a steak seasoning, wrap in foil and throw it on the grill. I find bottled minced garlic works just fine for this. I also make a home-made garlic bread, and the spread I apply has (duh) garlic. Fresh is better, but bottled gives you 90% of the same flavor.

Sometimes it comes down to whether I'm using garlic in the main course. If I am, and it's critical, I will use fresh. And if there are other courses that use garlic, I'll go ahead and make enough for them. But if the main course doesn't call for garlic, but a side dish does, I might just use bottled.

Short version: It's not as good as fresh, but can often work almost as well.

Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

14,017 posts, read 7,591,185 times
I use "Priya" garlic paste - I use it by the heaping tablespoon for Indian dishes:

Ingredients: garlic, salt, refined rice bran oil, acetic acid and citric acid.

Here's a link so you can see it but try any Asian market for it or something similar:
https://www.zifiti.com/aff-detail/pr...AaAmgiEALw_wcB

Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM

20,099 posts, read 4,271,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I no longer mince garlic. I takes too long. I just smash it and chop it up a bit.

Me too....

Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM

70,137 posts, read 80,826,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Looking for ways to cut down on preparation time. I mince fresh garlic by hand to use in marinates. I saw minced garlic sold in bottles and wondered if I should use it to save some time. Anyone use bottled garlic? Is the taste/flavor the same as fresh garlic?
From time to time I just buy a huge package of fresh garlic, sit at the table watching TV and preparing garlic. When I get a lot of it freshly minced using a food chopper, I put them in a little paper cup (the size the dentist used) and freeze them. I usually make enough for 3 months.. Otherwise I buy the large jars of minced and use that. It isn't nearly as good in my opinion but a lot easier. I like garlic paste also but it isn't always easy to find.

Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

70,137 posts, read 80,826,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Good topic as I've wondered the same thing. I've tried bottled garlic and it's not the same. It tastes watered down to me and much of the flavor is gone. I found out I need to use more of it in order to get close to the same flavor as fresh garlic. I tried it, was disappointed and won't buy it again.

That's it: watered down. I use about 2 or 3 more times what I would when using fresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or