U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM

3,919 posts, read 7,404,475 times

Advertisements

Looking for ways to cut down on preparation time. I mince fresh garlic by hand to use in marinates. I saw minced garlic sold in bottles and wondered if I should use it to save some time. Anyone use bottled garlic? Is the taste/flavor the same as fresh garlic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM

10,722 posts, read 17,044,659 times
The bottled minced garlic and ginger both have a funny off taste from the preservatives necessary.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

10,924 posts, read 4,391,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
The bottled minced garlic and ginger both have a funny off taste from the preservatives necessary.
Good topic as I've wondered the same thing. I've tried bottled garlic and it's not the same. It tastes watered down to me and much of the flavor is gone. I found out I need to use more of it in order to get close to the same flavor as fresh garlic. I tried it, was disappointed and won't buy it again.

Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM

20,867 posts, read 26,964,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Looking for ways to cut down on preparation time. I mince fresh garlic by hand to use in marinates. I saw minced garlic sold in bottles and wondered if I should use it to save some time. Anyone use bottled garlic? Is the taste/flavor the same as fresh garlic?
I don't like it.

Cuisinart works. But this is how I do it. It's all in the knife skills.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/art...o-mince-garlic

Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM

3,919 posts, read 7,404,475 times
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I won't buy bottled garlic then.

Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM

4,517 posts, read 5,042,466 times
A related question: bottled whole peeled garlic vs. bottled dry minced (or powdered) garlic, which is better?

Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM

34,481 posts, read 52,994,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I won't buy bottled garlic then.
I prefer fresh, but found this
https://thrivemarket.com/p/amore-gar...UaAl2qEALw_wcB
pretty acceptable. It's the only prepared garlic brand/form I use.
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM

3,365 posts, read 1,347,606 times
I used to get Christopher Farms peeled garlic in a big jar, but haven't seen it lately.
Now I usually just put unpeeled cloves in a very sturdy cast aluminum garlic press. After squeezing, the peels and some flesh are left in the press. Warning: flimsy garlic presses will break doing this. My heavy model will also press fresh ginger slices.

Old Today, 01:11 AM

35,893 posts, read 40,158,796 times
I'll be the outlier and note that, for some applications, jarred/minced is fine...usually when it's not a main, showcased ingredient. Much of the time, it's worth the extra prep time to go with fresh, but there are times when, for me, a timesaving cheat really makes negligible difference.

Old Today, 05:01 AM

854 posts, read 190,629 times
Fresh all the way, except for black garlic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or