Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 11:04 PM

961 posts, read 2,026,006 times

Advertisements

I was thinking can spinach, pineapples or onions be “inorganic”? Real food is real food for fruits and veggies right?

Now on meat I’m on the fence due to environmental reasons and because of the whole slaughterhouse thing I’m only beginning to read more on. Also I understand regular meat is full of cancer causing omega 6s but I don’t know if that’s propaganda. My problem with food is there’s something to back up ever position which makes this hard.

Last but easiest is boxed foods. Here I find it easier to separate organic from standard, over processed foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 03:11 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,775,132 times
https://www.realclearscience.com/art...es_110755.html

Suggested reading..

Old 01-28-2019, 03:46 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,775,132 times
https://pesticides.news/2017-12-05-c...l-impacts.html

Quote:
"Copper: Copper hydroxide, copper oxide, copper oxychloride, includes products exempted from EPA tolerance, provided that copper-based materials must be used in a manner that minimizes accumulation in the soil and shall not be used as herbicides"

"List of known side effects
Copper oxychloride is bad for the mucous membranes. Large doses of copper oxychloride may retard the growth of plants. It is also extremely toxic to bees, birds, fish, and invertebrates.

Body systems affected by copper oxychloride
Copper oxychloride is bad for the ocular system. It can corrosion of the cornea.

Copper oxychloride is bad for the circulatory system. It can cause the rupturing of blood cells, thereby resulting in circulatory collapse and shock.

Copper oxychloride is bad for the excretory system. A reduction in liver weight has been detected in people who have been exposed to the compound, which is usually indicative of organ failure.

Copper oxychloride is bad for the male reproductive system. It can cause damage to the male reproductive organ, specifically testicular atrophy."
----------

Quote:
List of major substances

Bacillus subtilis

Bacilus thuringiensis

Beauveria bassiana

Boric acid: Structural pest control, no direct contact with organic food or crops.

Coniothyrium minitans

Copper: Copper hydroxide, copper oxide, copper oxychloride, includes products exempted from EPA tolerance, provided that copper-based materials must be used in a manner that minimizes accumulation in the soil and shall not be used as herbicides of major substances
https://www.agdaily.com/technology/t...ic-production/

For the complete list
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...se7.3.205_1601

Old 01-28-2019, 06:55 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
I refuse to pay inflated prices for organics and remember
They can still use a smaller amount of pesticides

If. Conventional beef is harmful - I should have been dead
10 years ago

I eat 3-4 steaks a week for over 30 yrs
I’m 54 and healthy as a horse ( my dr stated keep doing what I’m doing-
He’s nearly grass fed and said he’d like to have my
Bloodwork results
I haven’t called in sick for 8 years and rarely get a cold

The real food demons are sugars n carbs
Not meat not healthy fats

Buy more local than organic support your
Local farmers

Organics represent only 5% of total food sales
They’ve been push organic s for 30 yrs

And ironically the big agriculture companies
The organic folks use to protest are now the
Biggest producers of organics on a mass scale

I sell organics - and yes it’s usually good product s
But I’ve also refused many organic food programs after seeing
The production lines - what many think it is and reality
Can be two different worlds

I’d also like to sell more organics because I can get much higher margins
The organic customer isn’t a price driven consumer

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 01-28-2019 at 07:04 AM..

Old 01-28-2019, 07:01 AM

334 posts, read 227,203 times
Here is another good article from a reputable scientific source:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...l-agriculture/

Old 01-28-2019, 07:11 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Why organics may not be healthier

From NPR

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...lthier-for-you

Old 01-28-2019, 10:25 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
For which foods does organic/non-organic matter?

None. The only difference it makes is to the bottom line profits of those businesses that produce, sell and promote the stuff.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:00 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

None. The only difference it makes is to the bottom line profits of those businesses that produce, sell and promote the stuff.
^^^^^THIS^^^^ Times 10!!!

Currently have an adult son on this Organic train to insanity! To the point that the soy milk must be organic and gosh forbid I drink milk or have cheese of any type!

I knew the day he brought home "Organic" water that was 4 dollars for 16 oz that he was deluded and conned by this market ploy.

Organic clothing now is his new mission..egads....Its truly taken on a bizzare turn ....

Old 01-28-2019, 01:01 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,238,477 times
There's a new list of the "dirty dozen" and "clean fifteen" every year:

https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/dirty-dozen.php

Old 01-28-2019, 01:38 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
I believe food that you can eat the skin should be organic, I don’t spray mine at home so that’s what I go by, like berries, apples, pears, spinach, etc..
Thick skin food like bananas, pineapples, etc.. don’t have to be organic because you are going to peel and cut the skin anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink