Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2019, 10:22 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
If you ever find yourself in the New Haven CT area you MUST try the apizza. Holy Cow! I have tried pizza all over the US and New Haven style is by far my favorite! Seriously try the clam pizza words can't describe how good it is!

I have never run across a place charging for the take out packets. Not a huge deal to me though as if I am,just bringing it home I keep those things in my pantry.

I go to pizza places because they can make it so much better then I can make or get from the freezer section. I don't do pizza chains, there is no need where I live. In my area I have too many options from wood and coal fired to Greek style and everything in between. I seriously feel bad for those of you who live in pizza deserts!
I find clams on pizza to be very odd, but then again, I swore I'd never have ham and pineapple pizza, but I did and I liked it.

Don't the shells hurt your teeth, though?

Old 02-01-2019, 11:55 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I find clams on pizza to be very odd, but then again, I swore I'd never have ham and pineapple pizza, but I did and I liked it.

Don't the shells hurt your teeth, though?
Frank Pepe's in New Haven is noted for their white clam pizza, and as far as I'm concerned, rightly so. Seemed very odd to me, too, but was utterly delicious when I tried it.

You can make it even more decadent by adding bacon, too.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:36 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
The clam pie at Pepe's--and every clam pizza I've ever had, actually-- is a white pizza (no tomato sauce), if that makes it seem less odd. It's VERY garlicky.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Frank Pepe's in New Haven is noted for their white clam pizza, and as far as I'm concerned, rightly so. Seemed very odd to me, too, but was utterly delicious when I tried it.

You can make it even more decadent by adding bacon, too.
Just under three hours and 128 miles of NYC metropolitan area traffic to get there. I guess I'll just take your word for it.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
The clam pie at Pepe's--and every clam pizza I've ever had, actually-- is a white pizza (no tomato sauce), if that makes it seem less odd. It's VERY garlicky.
I'd be OK with very garlicky.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:39 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
For those of you lucky enough to eat Chicago or New York style pizza, my hat is off to you. But what about the rest of us? Maybe it's just my area, but pizza chains have gone downhill. We ordered a Domino's pizza yesterday for pickup. The reason I quit ordering delivery is because of the nonsense "delivery fee" they started charging us years ago. What's this "delivery fee" anyway? The driver pays their own insurance. They pay their own car gas and maintenance on their vehicle. The only thing the pizza place pays is their salary, which is what they paid them before the delivery fee was instituted. After the delivery fee and tip, it adds $5 to the pizza cost of $20 max. I stopped going to Pizza Hut because they got my order wrong and Papa John's pizza is not good.

So I go to pick up the pizza and ask for Parmesan and pepper packets. The pizza place tells me that will be an extra charge; I don't get them free because they are a franchise. If I go to a corporate store, I can get them free however. "What if I had ordered for delivery? How would I have know you wouldn't have brought them to me?" I asked. Shrug. Closest corporate store is 30 minutes away. What's the point of ordering pizza from a pizza place? Is there any advantage? I might as well buy a frozen one and bake it at home. It's cheaper, often tastier, and I have to buy my own cheese and peppers anyway. Plus I don't have to pay extra for delivery. I get that restaurants are more expensive than eating at home and they have to make a profit but no other restaurant (that I know of) charges for the customer's first serving of condiments. I eat at restaurants a lot but sometimes the nickel and diming can really be annoying. Do your pizza places charge for cheese (if you go)? Do you ask for it?
OP, the secret is to not buy them from a chain outfit. Look up the quirky, creative, locally-owned places. Some really do an amazing job! Great crust, fab toppings not found in the chain stores, wider selection of toppings, better cheese, whatever. Explore! Discover! Enjoy!

Old 02-01-2019, 03:10 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Grocery store frozen pizza? Eeeew!.
CiCi's is worse.

I'll take a frozen Red Baron pizza any day over CiCi's buffet.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:33 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Not all pizza places are bad. Stop going to Dominos and Pizza Hut and go to a well reviewed local place.
This. You (OP) literally listed the two WORST pizza chains, in my opinion... even chains like Round Table are better than those two options, and unless you live in a REALLY small town, I assume there are some non-chain pizza places around. Go to those, even if it costs a little more, and then maybe you'll understand why people buy them.

Also try picking it up yourself, if you are concerned about delivery charges + tips. I pretty much never get pizza delivered, unless maybe I'm stuck at work - but I also live in a large metro, where we have multiple options within a short driving distance. But yeah, Domino's and Pizza Hut are definitely not worth the money. A few of our locally-owned joints definitely are, however, plus you save the time & effort of having to make it yourself.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:53 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is a giant pile of hype. There is nothing unique about NYC tap water but it's somehow attributed as the key ingredient to bagels and pizza.
Sorry but I don't agree. And after reading this article I'm convinced even more. That said, after reading possible contaminants I'm not so sure it's a good thing!!! Another slice please!!!

https://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/food...r-bagels-pizza

Old 02-01-2019, 07:17 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
I don't understand how people can say pizza from chain restaurants are gross. How is it gross? Compared to what? Gross is a strong word to use, and to use it on a regular pizza from Dominos is weird to me.
I live in Chicago and have been to many local pizza restaurants around my neighborhood. Sure, they are delicious ...but I am to the point now after living here for some years that I gladly go buy a Digiorno's pizza from the grocery store, the cheese stuffed crust kind, and 2 for 10 dollars; instead of spending 40 dollars for a pizza from Giordano's. After all this time, in the end is just pizza. Special occasions I may spend money on the "real" stuff.

I seriously want to start making my own pizza and when we buy a house I'm going to get a pizza oven.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 02-01-2019 at 07:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink