U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:00 AM

13,860 posts, read 7,833,163 times

Advertisements

For those of you lucky enough to eat Chicago or New York style pizza, my hat is off to you. But what about the rest of us? Maybe it's just my area, but pizza chains have gone downhill. We ordered a Domino's pizza yesterday for pickup. The reason I quit ordering delivery is because of the nonsense "delivery fee" they started charging us years ago. What's this "delivery fee" anyway? The driver pays their own insurance. They pay their own car gas and maintenance on their vehicle. The only thing the pizza place pays is their salary, which is what they paid them before the delivery fee was instituted. After the delivery fee and tip, it adds $5 to the pizza cost of $20 max. I stopped going to Pizza Hut because they got my order wrong and Papa John's pizza is not good.

So I go to pick up the pizza and ask for Parmesan and pepper packets. The pizza place tells me that will be an extra charge; I don't get them free because they are a franchise. If I go to a corporate store, I can get them free however. "What if I had ordered for delivery? How would I have know you wouldn't have brought them to me?" I asked. Shrug. Closest corporate store is 30 minutes away. What's the point of ordering pizza from a pizza place? Is there any advantage? I might as well buy a frozen one and bake it at home. It's cheaper, often tastier, and I have to buy my own cheese and peppers anyway. Plus I don't have to pay extra for delivery. I get that restaurants are more expensive than eating at home and they have to make a profit but no other restaurant (that I know of) charges for the customer's first serving of condiments. I eat at restaurants a lot but sometimes the nickel and diming can really be annoying. Do your pizza places charge for cheese (if you go)? Do you ask for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:15 AM

4,328 posts, read 6,679,315 times
I started making my own pizza more the a decade ago and outside of vacations to (NYC, Naples, Italy) where buying local pizza is just part of the experience, I'm not sure that I've bought a pre-made pizza (including from a store). Mostly I started because I like to cook and it's something I like to eat, but it's morphed into a refusal to pay someone else because the cost vs quality/reward just isn't there. Like you said, you spend $20 for a pizza that's no better than the $5 frozen pizza you can buy at a grocery store. Move upscale a little, we've been known to spend $40~50 for a pizza on occasion, and it's good food but not worth the hassle or cost when compared to doing it yourself. I can make the same quality at home (as the $40~50 pizza) for under $10 and less than a half-hour of effort. That's less time than just the drive TO the closest upscale, and less cost than all but the cheapest of options... for something that's as good as anything I've ever bought.

There is a learning curve... the standard in the US of a "hand tossed" isn't too difficult, but pulling of a neapolitan is a bit more complex (I'm getting close after 3 attempts).

BTW, I feel this way about buying prepared food in general. Cost is too high for the quality/experience. If I eat at the same place twice (or more), that is high praise indeed as I'd rather just duplicate the food at home. Not terribly hard to do for even a hack home cook like myself.

Old Today, 09:19 AM

8,528 posts, read 10,324,765 times
As a bank robber once replied when asked, "Why do you rob banks?" -- "Because that's where the 'pizza'/money is."

Old Today, 09:25 AM

7,935 posts, read 3,124,202 times
I do it for large neighborhood events where we need 20+ pizzas, all hot at the same time.

Or at a large family gathering, as a lesser meal. The Friday after Thanksgiving, for example. 8 pizzas, different kinds, all hot at the same time.

I don't ever just buy one restaurant take out pizza for a regular meal. That, as others have mentioned, are what grocery store frozen pizzas are for.

Old Today, 10:47 AM

3,233 posts, read 1,560,053 times
Quote:
What's the Point of Buying Pizza from a Pizza Place?
So you don't have to make it yourself.

I only eat thin-crust pizza and if we try to get the level of crispiness that I crave in our own oven, it sets off the smoke alarm.

Old Today, 10:50 AM

20,015 posts, read 13,165,519 times
We pick ours up at Papa Murphy’s and bake it in our oven. Works for us.

One of these days I will buy some dough, and I’ll make one from scratch.

Old Today, 10:52 AM

14,602 posts, read 18,064,725 times
Aren't you the same guy who removed the auto-gratuities from your bill on the last cruise? I think you just have issues with tips and being 'nickle and dimed'. There's nothing particularly wrong with that - as long as you realize that there is a cost to convenience and somebody else's services and/or time.

Old Today, 10:54 AM

21,358 posts, read 22,506,444 times
Not all pizza places are bad. Stop going to Dominos and Pizza Hut and go to a well reviewed local place.

Old Today, 10:56 AM

876 posts, read 197,628 times
Because the taste of pizza from coal or wood fired ovens is excellent. Papa Johns, Pizza Hut and Domino's suck. I'm very particular where I get pizza from. Homemade, wood fired pizza is the best and pizza done in a BGE is a close second.

Old Today, 11:17 AM

12,320 posts, read 6,417,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

I don't ever just buy one restaurant take out pizza for a regular meal. That, as others have mentioned, are what grocery store frozen pizzas are for.

Grocery store frozen pizza? Eeeew!

Anywhere I've ever lived, there were at least several mom & pop pizza places that made flavorful pizza. Other than Uno's sitting at the bar with a side salad once in a while on a business trip since deep dish pizza isn't common in New England, I haven't had a national chain pizza in many decades. In the three New England zip codes where I am in three different states, I can get coal oven thin crust, wood fired, NY-style (not my favorite), and California-style. Sure, I make my own occasionally but take-out pizza is emergency food for when we don't feel like cooking where we order from the car 20 minutes before we get to town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink