U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2019, 02:20 PM
 
1,533 posts, read 694,526 times
Reputation: 1727

Advertisements

Act II Butter Lovers!!

Skinny Pop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2019, 10:03 PM
 
Location: NYC
12,162 posts, read 8,139,892 times
Reputation: 13273
I just got a good popcorn popper and I can't eat packaged popcorn anymore. Buying kernels and seasonings is dirt cheap and you can make so many batches easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 03:58 AM
 
Location: Florida
18,981 posts, read 19,169,817 times
Reputation: 22117
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just got a good popcorn popper and I can't eat packaged popcorn anymore. Buying kernels and seasonings is dirt cheap and you can make so many batches easily.
Not only that but I love that it's still warm and with real butter.
Anything leftover ( cold) gets thrown out.
Those crunchy just barely opened kernels are great! (Umm, haven't had one, though, after cracking the second tooth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 11:06 AM
Status: "Passed my RICA!" (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,194 posts, read 21,534,395 times
Reputation: 23051
Every Christmas I joke to the family that I should own stock in Popcornopolis, since I buy it exclusively. I usually give away over $100 worth of the stuff each year.

Just walked past their Costco roadshow booth yesterday and bought the strawberries and cream. Was hoping for the key lime, still haven't had a chance to try it. The toffee almond is great too, and the apple pie. Their cheddar and white cheddar are the best we've ever tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 12:17 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
21,559 posts, read 26,997,132 times
Reputation: 40910
I use an air popper and buy the popcorn from the bulk bins. Freshly popped popcorn with freshly melted real butter on it.



I tried the Orville whatshisname and don't like it. The kernels are really big but the hulls are tough. I like the cheaper popcorn with the smaller kernels better.


The only time I buy ready popped popcorn is the zebra stripped popcorn at Costco with white and dark chocolate on it. I don't know what the brand is. It's more of a candy purchase than a popcorn purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Floribama
14,089 posts, read 30,270,811 times
Reputation: 12722
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post


The only time I buy ready popped popcorn is the zebra stripped popcorn at Costco with white and dark chocolate on it. I don't know what the brand is. It's more of a candy purchase than a popcorn purchase.
Oh I think that may be Black & White by Popcorn Indiana. I get it sometimes from Sams, and yes it is good!

Black & White | Popcorn, Indiana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Denver 'burbs
21,392 posts, read 22,578,917 times
Reputation: 36323
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I buy big bags of this at Sams Club...
https://www.ghcretors.com/products/the-mix

I didn’t think I’d like the cheese and caramel mixed together, but now I’m addicted to it.
This, for a treat.

If I am just craving popcorn, I prefer popping my own on the stovetop and adding actual, real butter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 05:55 PM
 
Location: So Cal
14,195 posts, read 10,391,036 times
Reputation: 12781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
https://www.popcornopolis.com

Especially the zebra flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Every Christmas I joke to the family that I should own stock in Popcornopolis, since I buy it exclusively. I usually give away over $100 worth of the stuff each year.

Just walked past their Costco roadshow booth yesterday and bought the strawberries and cream. Was hoping for the key lime, still haven't had a chance to try it. The toffee almond is great too, and the apple pie. Their cheddar and white cheddar are the best we've ever tried.
I always joke that I'm a popcorn "purist," I only want butter and maybe a little salt on it, but I just went to their website and some of the flavors I'm dying to try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Ooooh! I forgot Boom Chicka Pop. So good! And also pre-popped so just open and eat.
I was just recently introduced to this by my mom. Very good. And isn't it supposed to be pretty natural and with just a few basic ingredients? Popcorn, butter, salt?

Also, I thought it might be named after the "Chick-A-Boom" song from the '70s, but it looks like there are other similarly titled songs out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I use an air popper and buy the popcorn from the bulk bins. Freshly popped popcorn with freshly melted real butter on it.

I tried the Orville whatshisname and don't like it. The kernels are really big but the hulls are tough. I like the cheaper popcorn with the smaller kernels better.

The only time I buy ready popped popcorn is the zebra stripped popcorn at Costco with white and dark chocolate on it. I don't know what the brand is. It's more of a candy purchase than a popcorn purchase.
This is funny because the last couple times I made a huge -- I mean, moderate bowl of popcorn for myself to enjoy, I didn't get any pleasure out of it. There was plenty of butter, of course, salty enough too, but the usual joy was missing. I believe it's because my SO bought the cheaper, bagged kernels, having forgotten my strict rule of Orville Redenbacher's only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,353 posts, read 25,995,232 times
Reputation: 25717
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post



I was just recently introduced to this by my mom. Very good. And isn't it supposed to be pretty natural and with just a few basic ingredients? Popcorn, butter, salt?
Yup! Their tag line is "Real, Simple Ingredients" and they say "Long ingredient list? Not here. Our Sea Salt Popcorn contains just popcorn, sea salt and a little bit of sunflower oil (got to get the corn to pop, after all)."

Skinny Pop uses those same three ingredients, nothing more. I just finished a bag of Boom Chicka Pop -- I typically buy Skinny Pop -- and I found it saltier. And significantly more expensive. So I'll be going back to my Skinny Pop when I'm too lazy (i.e. usually) to make popcorn "from scratch."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2019, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
53,178 posts, read 52,304,759 times
Reputation: 62606
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I was going crazy over the popcorn from Trader Joe's and 2 weeks ago I went to Dollar Tree and bought a big package of Movie Theatre Popcorn made by Blim's of Tennessee. Oh my God! The butteriest, most taseteful popcorn I've ever eaten! And I've been eating it every day since. Just went over to Dollar Tree today and brought back 8 packages of it, and one bag can last you 3 days.

How about you?
Ha, I might try that. I have a friend who always buys the honey wheat pretzel twists from Dollar Tree, and they are really good!

I like the Trader Joe's Olive Oil popcorn, and I like the Popcorn Indiana Sea Salt one, too.

I won't do microwave popcorn ever since I heard about "popcorn lung" even though the microwave popcorn manufacturers supposedly removed the chemical from their products that caused it.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top