U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 07:27 PM

20,860 posts, read 4,391,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
https://www.wspa.com/news/student-di...tti/1736676634

I have to admit.. I'm bad about this. I'll leave food out, room temp, and eat it the next day.

Now.. FIVE days is a bit excessive. One day, sure.. Two days is a maybe.. Past that.. Nope, it's tossed.

I've got some corn chowder in the fridge that's been in there a week.. It's going out today. That might still be good, but it's too far gone for me to try. Even if it smells fine.

No eating of foods left out overnight....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 07:41 PM

12,805 posts, read 14,922,231 times
My husband leaves food out all night all the time and then eats it. Doesn't matter what it is. I won't touch it.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:50 PM

7,979 posts, read 3,145,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
No eating of foods left out overnight....
Honestly, if it's cooked, you're good.

It's "healthy" raw vegetables, that's where the danger lies. It's the raw salad that will get you.

Watch for health alerts. It's the romaine or the tomatoes that will kill you, not the pizza.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:15 PM

2,055 posts, read 841,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip :) View Post
If food has been left out for more than a couple hours I toss it. People need to learn to use refrigerators.
Do you also think that leaving butter out long enough for it to soften means it is rotting?

People need to stop being so finicky.

I've managed to exceed my 3 score years (if not 3 score and seven, LOL!) without being killed by eating leftovers that I've left outside the fridge. Now if I've left raw meat out, that gets tossed, but if I forgot to put a pork chop away or something, I just eat it when I find it the next day.

I also ignore the BEST USED BY dates on salad dressings and sour cream. Sour cream, in particular, has to be REALLY REALLY elderly before it goes bad/molds. Within reason. If I find something a year past its date in the fridge I WILL toss that, but if I'm working my way through a jar of blue cheese dressing and its 4 or 5 weeks past the due date, if it passes the sniff test (which it ALWAYS does), I'll just polish it off anyway.

But I agree, 5 days at room temp is a science experiment, not a meal.

Last edited by Pyewackette; 01-29-2019 at 08:28 PM..

Old 01-29-2019, 08:15 PM

1,739 posts, read 616,831 times
The DANGER we face is fresh, raw vegetables.

yes.
that.

not pasta, bread, meat, cheese, etc.
VEGGIES are the killers.
i tell my wife that.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:21 PM

2,055 posts, read 841,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I leave butter out on the counter, in a covered butter dish in the winter when the house is 68 degrees. Until the stick of butter is gone.

I think everything with mayonnaise needs to be refrigerated, unless you intend to eat it within the next 6 hours. That's how we all lived through taking lunchmeat sandwiches to school in a paper sack.

I leave pizza out on the counter over night and eat it the next morning without reheating it.

I've accidentally left restaurant to go cartons in my car over night (fully cooked food), and eaten them without reheating them the next morning.

And I've lived to tell the tale.

The DANGER we face is fresh, raw vegetables. That's what seriously sickens, and kills people. Not cooked food. Also raw oysters. Fully cooked food - you have a LOT of grace period.
I leave butter out in a covered glass dish intended for sugar (because here in the West butter is short and fat instead of long and skinny like in the East, but all the butter dishes are for Eastern butter). YEAR ROUND. We have AC so it doesn't matter.

I've found using anything that seals tightly, like Lock 'n Lock or a snap lock container or really most any plastic lidded container, will drastically shorten the life of the butter at room temperature. Trust me, when butter goes bad, there will be NO doubt. YOU WILL KNOW.

Growing up AC was only to be found in giant department stores and a few office buildings. We still left butter out in a covered butter dish even in the summer until it was gone - though I will grant you, with a family of 7, a stick of butter didn't last all that long.

I am a single person and don't actually eat that much butter any more given I've had to cut both potatoes AND bread (the 2 things I most often use butter for) almost entirely out of my diet, and the butter STILL doesn't go bad before I can use it all up.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:35 PM

2,547 posts, read 1,770,006 times
Quote:
I've accidentally left restaurant to go cartons in my car over night (fully cooked food), and eaten them without reheating them the next morning.

And I've lived to tell the tale.
You've gotten lucky and I hate when I forget about food like that too. Still, I wouldn't recommend eating something left out that long at room temperature.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:44 PM

7,903 posts, read 2,509,027 times
Quote:
Honestly, if it's cooked, you're good.

It's "healthy" raw vegetables, that's where the danger lies. It's the raw salad that will get you.

Watch for health alerts. It's the romaine or the tomatoes that will kill you, not the pizza.

I wash all fresh fruits and vegetables I eat, except those picked and eaten off the tree or vine and then spray them with a mist of distilled vinegar, to hopefully zap any lingering bacteria. But over the past 5 years, I've had to stop eating all types of lettuce, as there's no way you can effectively wash and disinfect it. There's been too many cases of salmonella and E-coli poisoning to feel safe about lettuce any longer. That also applies to raw sprouts.

As far as unrefrigerated food is concerned, I won't touch it, after being at room temperature more than an hour or being even a little over 40 degrees F for more than 4 hours. I keep my refrigerator at about 34 F. Those who do eat things unrefrigerated overnight, must be blessed with powerful immune systems. But someday, as they age or develop conditions that weaken their immune functions, they may be caught by surprise.

On the other hand, how did our ancestors survive, before refrigerators, ice chests and cold cellars were invented? Has our resistance to bacteria devolved drastically in that relatively short segment of our species' existence?

Old 01-29-2019, 09:53 PM

5,649 posts, read 3,220,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
On the other hand, how did our ancestors survive, before refrigerators, ice chests and cold cellars were invented? Has our resistance to bacteria devolved drastically in that relatively short segment of our species' existence?
Might be a result of good medicine. In the day an infected hangnail on the prairie could kill you in a couple of days. Survival of the fittest. Although I hear some scientists have been pooh-poohing that principle lately.

I suspect that it was only the hardiest of folk who lived long enough to produce a lengthy list of descendants.

Now medicine helps people survive and breed who used to never live that long because of weak immune systems or disease.

A lot of people who lived in warm climates learned to eat their food with hot peppers or lime juice, both of which will help prevent food poisoning.

Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM

13,571 posts, read 11,239,192 times
Funny story for this group: LOL.
A friend worked and had kids...so I cleaned her refrigerator for her...very old salad dressings in the back on the top shelf.
I played a game, already expired, I left them there with a note..."Left here June 2002 to see when this note is discovered. Miss H".
I got a msg 5 YEARS later my note was found...so what was that? 7 yr old bottles back there! Hahahah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or