Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 09:04 AM

17,562 posts, read 15,220,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Do you also think that leaving butter out long enough for it to soften means it is rotting?

People need to stop being so finicky.

I've managed to exceed my 3 score years (if not 3 score and seven, LOL!) without being killed by eating leftovers that I've left outside the fridge. Now if I've left raw meat out, that gets tossed, but if I forgot to put a pork chop away or something, I just eat it when I find it the next day.

I also ignore the BEST USED BY dates on salad dressings and sour cream. Sour cream, in particular, has to be REALLY REALLY elderly before it goes bad/molds. Within reason. If I find something a year past its date in the fridge I WILL toss that, but if I'm working my way through a jar of blue cheese dressing and its 4 or 5 weeks past the due date, if it passes the sniff test (which it ALWAYS does), I'll just polish it off anyway.

But I agree, 5 days at room temp is a science experiment, not a meal.

Best by dates are just that.. Best by.. Not a "Use by".. There's a difference between those two that many people don't understand. And of course there's tolerances to them. Milk doesn't know when that date stamped on it comes and goes. It doesn't watch the clock and go "aaaaaand NOW i'm spoiled." though, that being said, they're pretty damn accurate with those dates.. And, just FYI.. I triple dog dare you to drink any of that organic ultra-pasteurized milk after the date. Oh.. my.. That doesn't spoil.. it just.. devolves. You just trust that date. It's better to throw it out than chance it. Not from an illness standpoint, either.

Canned goods.. I think everyone knows, if the can isn't swelled up.. Good to go.

Spices.. they don't go bad.. They may not be as robust in smell or flavor after a time, but they aren't going bad.

I did eat some microwave popcorn that was about 7 years past the 'best by' date a few months ago. Meh. Certainly wasn't the best popcorn I ever had, but it was edible.

Mayo.. I'm REAL careful with.. I'll toss mayo from my fridge after the best by date just because. Just as I wouldn't eat a sandwich that had mayo that had been left out for days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
The DANGER we face is fresh, raw vegetables.

yes.
that.

not pasta, bread, meat, cheese, etc.
VEGGIES are the killers.
i tell my wife that.
If you live and die by that.. Odds are, you'll be sickened by it.

Of course in today's world raw fruits and veggies are the biggest concern.. But, you get a whole lot of recalls of ground beef and pork and chicken as well. In general, the cooking process kills off anything that would hurt you, but.. that's not for certain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 09:13 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
When I was a child, we had a neighbor who did not have a fridge & saw no need for one, she would leave raw chicken on the table. She lived into her 90s.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
When I was a child, we had a neighbor who did not have a fridge & saw no need for one, she would leave raw chicken on the table. She lived into her 90s.

Raw chicken.. It's finger-lickin' good.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:04 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,430,438 times
Quote:
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

George Burns, who lived to be 100, would have made an excellent spokesperson for a cigar company. But perhaps other people would have had complications from smoking.

I approach it like this - there are three different types of people: 1.) will get sick no matter what precautions they take, 2.) will get away with the unthinkable despite the dangers, and 3.) the group on the fence whose habits directly affect their well being.

By age 40, you have pretty much figured out which one of these you fall under.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:07 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,630,789 times
Quote:
I lived in the mountains of Montana in the 90s (1990, not 1890 ) with no plumbing or electricity. Our leftover cooked dinner would be tucked in the cooler corner of the cabin it its cast-iron pan and we'd eat it the next day. DH hunted deer which we'd immediately smoke, dry or can. In season, we picked fresh greens and berries, but there was very little fresh produce. Lots of canned veg and packaged dry goods.

It was an interesting experience. For awhile! (the outhouse was the worst part of it)

Old 01-30-2019, 12:11 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,161 times
Quote:
Throw out that old spaghetti!
Yep, and not just stuff that has been left out. When I was young and stupid I ate leftover spaghetti and sauce that had been refrigerated, but was about 10 days old. Whoo, food poisoning, thought I was going to die and was looking forward to it.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:31 PM

7,020 posts, read 4,885,827 times
Quote:
My mom did the same thing But she's 89 now and that was a long time ago, before the mega-farms and specialization of butchering and selling just chickens or hogs happened. In smaller farms, livestock wasn't forced to live cheek by jowl and it didn't run the risk of illnesses the way livestock today does.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:07 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,774,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Might be a result of good medicine. In the day an infected hangnail on the prairie could kill you in a couple of days. Survival of the fittest. Although I hear some scientists have been pooh-poohing that principle lately.

I suspect that it was only the hardiest of folk who lived long enough to produce a lengthy list of descendants.

Now medicine helps people survive and breed who used to never live that long because of weak immune systems or disease.

A lot of people who lived in warm climates learned to eat their food with hot peppers or lime juice, both of which will help prevent food poisoning.

NEITHER of which do a thing to prevent food poisoning. That's a myth.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
NEITHER of which do a thing to prevent food poisoning. That's a myth.

Well.. If I put enough hot peppers on things, the kids won't eat it at all.. So.. In a way...

Old 01-30-2019, 03:37 PM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
We leave the sauce on the stove for a day or so and have never had a problem. The issue here was it wasn't a day or so, it was 5 days. I'm pretty casual about this but never close to 5 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink