U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 04:56 PM

2,238 posts, read 528,546 times

Advertisements

If it were common for leftovers not to be refrigerated, I can't imagine the number of people who would get by with a dorm-sized refrigerator to store the essentials.

I have always heard that bacteria multiply more quickly at room temperature than near freezing, hence why food is *supposed to* keep longer in the fridge. So that's what I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 05:13 PM

23,678 posts, read 22,625,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
My mom did the same thing But she's 89 now and that was a long time ago, before the mega-farms and specialization of butchering and selling just chickens or hogs happened. In smaller farms, livestock wasn't forced to live cheek by jowl and it didn't run the risk of illnesses the way livestock today does.
That's what I think, too.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Mayo.. I'm REAL careful with.. I'll toss mayo from my fridge after the best by date just because. Just as I wouldn't eat a sandwich that had mayo that had been left out for days.

...If you live and die by that.. Odds are, you'll be sickened by it.

Of course in today's world raw fruits and veggies are the biggest concern.. But, you get a whole lot of recalls of ground beef and pork and chicken as well. In general, the cooking process kills off anything that would hurt you, but.. that's not for certain.
Mayonnaise is as indestructible as ketchup... as long as you don't get any food bits in it. People who keep sticking a utensil back in the jar while preparing foods like tuna salad or sandwiches may as well throw it away sooner rather than later. It's the stuff you contaminate it with, not the mayo.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:29 PM

8,704 posts, read 6,426,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's what I think, too.
I'm suspecting that most of us had mothers who cleaned the whole house, but specifically the kitchen with bleach and/or ammonia religiously.

The old expression "you could eat off the floors" was far truer back in the day.

Many people didn't have A/C, which the vents and ducts there can harbor all kinds of moisture/spores/breeding grounds for bacteria and the like.

we're generally exposed to more people in a day than in the past.

bacteria are generally stronger than they were in the past with overuse of antibiotics.

I don't think you can point your finger at one specific reason. It's lots of reasons all rolled together.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm suspecting that most of us had mothers who cleaned the whole house, but specifically the kitchen with bleach and/or ammonia religiously.

The old expression "you could eat off the floors" was far truer back in the day.

Many people didn't have A/C, which the vents and ducts there can harbor all kinds of moisture/spores/breeding grounds for bacteria and the like.

we're generally exposed to more people in a day than in the past.

bacteria are generally stronger than they were in the past with overuse of antibiotics.

I don't think you can point your finger at one specific reason. It's lots of reasons all rolled together.
It is a lot of reasons, but if your chicken isn't contaminated with listeria, you're starting with an advantage.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:14 PM

7,975 posts, read 2,532,363 times
Tomatoes and peppers that have black mold spots on them, can be deadly. Never eat any part of them, if there are black spots on them. The big danger in eating food that's fallen on the floor, is that they may pick up microscopic parasite eggs, such as from roundworms. The Baylisascaris procyonis worms from raccoons will penetrate your brain and kill or disable you. They could be anywhere on the ground, where raccoons live and get tracked into a house, on your shoes. Look up that parasite name on Search, if you don't believe this. Following the so-called "5-second rule" about dropped food being safe, is asking for trouble.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:05 PM

7,975 posts, read 2,532,363 times
Quote:
Mayonnaise is as indestructible as ketchup... as long as you don't get any food bits in it. People who keep sticking a utensil back in the jar while preparing foods like tuna salad or sandwiches may as well throw it away sooner rather than later. It's the stuff you contaminate it with, not the mayo.
Don't count on mayonnaise not spoiling if left unrefrigerated. Most of it is made with raw egg yolks. The vinegar in its ingredients may retard bacterial growth, but not always. Some mayonnaise is made with lemon juice, which isn't as good as vinegar in its anti-bacterial effect. There's even some kinds made with whipped veal brains as a thickener. Read this article-----pay note to the part about salmonella at the bottom:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayonnaise

Old 01-31-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Don't count on mayonnaise not spoiling if left unrefrigerated. Most of it is made with raw egg yolks. The vinegar in its ingredients may retard bacterial growth, but not always. Some mayonnaise is made with lemon juice, which isn't as good as vinegar in its anti-bacterial effect. There's even some kinds made with whipped veal brains as a thickener. Read this article-----pay note to the part about salmonella at the bottom:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayonnaise

Hellmann's mayonnaise contains both vinegar and lemon juice and is quite acidic. The egg has been pasturized. It's shelf stable before it's opened.

If someone gets food poisoning from something containing mayonnaise, it's most likely caused by the food it was spread on or mixed into, the environment in which that food was prepared, and how it was handled.

https://scienceblogs.com/effectmeasu...d-poisoning-an

Old 01-31-2019, 08:32 AM

13,618 posts, read 11,274,554 times
Quote:
If someone gets food poisoning from something containing mayonnaise, it's most likely caused by the food it was spread on or mixed into...
Hahahahaha,....or like me when i was so stupid and young and put a sandwich
with Mayo on my dash in the SUN!!!!!
Hmm, warm sandwich...what an idiot!!!

Old 01-31-2019, 02:16 PM

15,127 posts, read 17,042,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
NEITHER of which do a thing to prevent food poisoning. That's a myth.
Citric acid, an organic acid found in many fruits, especially limes, lemons and grapefruit, increases the acidity of a microbe's environment, making it harder for bacteria and mold to survive and reproduce. It is literally the most common anti-microbial reservative used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or