U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 03:18 PM

70,427 posts, read 81,220,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip :) View Post
If food has been left out for more than a couple hours I toss it. People need to learn to use refrigerators.
that is almost funny. I think nothing of eating something that is left out overnight except maybe fish or something that is known to spoil in a hurry. I wonder how some of you would have survived growing up in the 40s and 50s? We left things out cause our refrigerators were not big enough to hold that much food and many or most people didn't have a freezer. I was lucky my parents did have a freezer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 03:23 PM

70,427 posts, read 81,220,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I leave butter out on the counter, in a covered butter dish in the winter when the house is 68 degrees. Until the stick of butter is gone.

I think everything with mayonnaise needs to be refrigerated, unless you intend to eat it within the next 6 hours. That's how we all lived through taking lunchmeat sandwiches to school in a paper sack.

I leave pizza out on the counter over night and eat it the next morning without reheating it.

I've accidentally left restaurant to go cartons in my car over night (fully cooked food), and eaten them without reheating them the next morning.

And I've lived to tell the tale.

The DANGER we face is fresh, raw vegetables. That's what seriously sickens, and kills people. Not cooked food. Also raw oysters. Fully cooked food - you have a LOT of grace period.
completely agree with you. I would never think of leaving something other than something like butter out 5 days, but this panic over something out over night is over the top in my opinion It is the same as tossing everything with an expired date

Old 01-31-2019, 05:28 PM

1,742 posts, read 574,158 times
I think leaving something out over two nights is too long. Mold has time to start growing at that point.

I have cooked food late - like a big pot of chili or stew, and left it on the stove because you cant put it away while its still hot. In the morning, I package it up and freeze or refrigerate it. I haven't died yet.

I know people that will eat leftovers "as long as I don't see anything growing on it" and that's easily something that's been refrigerated for 5 days. Maybe some things depend on what shape the flora and fauna in your gut are in, and what your body is used to?

Old 02-01-2019, 03:54 PM

2,755 posts, read 2,147,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I think leaving something out over two nights is too long. Mold has time to start growing at that point.

I have cooked food late - like a big pot of chili or stew, and left it on the stove because you cant put it away while its still hot. In the morning, I package it up and freeze or refrigerate it. I haven't died yet.

I know people that will eat leftovers "as long as I don't see anything growing on it" and that's easily something that's been refrigerated for 5 days. Maybe some things depend on what shape the flora and fauna in your gut are in, and what your body is used to?

Leaving something out overnight, will have bacteria and mold on it. If you are a smoker or a heavy drinker, your sense's are not quite as good. So eat up. I try not to waste so much. After 3 days in the fridge, its garbage.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:03 PM

5,905 posts, read 3,639,024 times
Cooked food left out over one night is completely OK, unless maybe it's the dog days of summer and your kitchen is 90 degrees. Longer than that, and I would throw it out.

Refrigerated food, I'll leave for at least 5 days if it's going to be heated up to boiling again.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:22 PM

3,273 posts, read 905,210 times
I don't understand why people are leaving leftovers out. It's almost like some people are bragging about how tough they are.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:17 PM

901 posts, read 205,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Leaving something out overnight, will have bacteria and mold on it. If you are a smoker or a heavy drinker, your sense's are not quite as good. So eat up. I try not to waste so much. After 3 days in the fridge, its garbage.
Dry aging and cured meats usually stay in the fridge a lot longer than 3 days. BTW, I've been leaving dinner leftovers out overnight for decades.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:46 PM

18,707 posts, read 17,858,169 times
I remember an allergist who was teaching her patients about mold. She had us leave a glass of (orange juice? something) out for 24 hours and then take a look at it. Sure enough, there was mold growing on the surface. For those of us who are sensitive to mold, that was a good lesson!

Stuff is floating around in the air and falls onto the food. I just habitually put food away in the fridge, especially things like eggs and anything with tomato. At this point in time, I don't even remember why!

Old 02-04-2019, 02:27 PM

3,273 posts, read 905,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I've been leaving dinner leftovers out overnight for decades.
But why? Too lazy to put it in the fridge?

Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM

14,813 posts, read 30,274,083 times
I don't usually leave stuff out overnight, but might leave it out for several hours. I do leave pizza out. I often eat food that has been in the fridge a VERY long time along with things way past expiration and have never seemed to have a problem. I am 69, seem very healthy. My doc said I have an excellent immune system. Never have a cold or flu. I recently read an article somewhere that said people in certain third world countries have stronger immune systems due to the fact that they tended to eat more old and spoiled food. Makes sense I guess......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or