U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:24 AM

5,905 posts, read 3,639,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I remember an allergist who was teaching her patients about mold. She had us leave a glass of (orange juice? something) out for 24 hours and then take a look at it. Sure enough, there was mold growing on the surface. For those of us who are sensitive to mold, that was a good lesson!

Stuff is floating around in the air and falls onto the food. I just habitually put food away in the fridge, especially things like eggs and anything with tomato. At this point in time, I don't even remember why!
What you have to do, obviously, is cover the food. Yes, there are mold spores, bacteria, etc., floating in the air. Of course any uncovered food is going to be less sanitary than if it had a lid or some plastic wrap over it. This goes for inside the refrigerator, too.

I have a waffle recipe that involves mixing up the batter the night before (including milk and butter) and letting it sit out overnight. I do cover it, of course. The batter has yeast in it, and the idea is that the yeast works slowly all night long at room temperature. In the morning, you stir it up, add an egg, and make the waffles. The crazy thing is that apparently many people here wouldn't touch these delicious waffles because the batter sat out all night without being refrigerated.

Last edited by saibot; Today at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or