U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 05:35 PM

13,887 posts, read 23,318,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Nearly all the popular supermarket/mass produced coffees in USA are owned by international conglomerates. Kraft owned Maxwell House for instance, but has since sold it off.

[/url]

As are most of the coffeehouse brands.

=============================

The only coffees that I purchase are Community Coffee or San Francisco Bay Coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 06:05 PM

2,616 posts, read 1,416,312 times
Absolutely no question that the quality of beans in mass produced coffee has deteriorated over the years as arabica & exotic varieties get funnelled to those willing to pay the premium price.

I still remember clearly that specific day 45 years ago when my cup of coffee to go from a diner was so vibrant & full of rich flavors that I went back in to find out the brand that they used (a normal food distributor brand). I had never tasted a cup like it before. There were no local roasters to speak of back then other than in the heart of some large cities. Back then the "best coffee" for regular folks was Dunkin Donuts or 8 O'Clock Coffee, definitely a step above the rest of the herd. In the last 2 years I've gone 2-3 times to DD & couldn't finish their regular coffee, actually poured at least one out on the gutter it was so bitter & unpleasant... vile tbh.

I keep trying different grocery brands to see if there is something to help my budget stretch now that I'm retired, I get Lavazza when it's on sale, New England is ok too, not as good as Lavazza but I would get it on sale again. I feel 8 O'Clock probably just buys whatever beans they can now to keep the price down, not my favorite.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:17 AM

510 posts, read 357,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Once Americans are used to this high caffeine coffee from Starbucks, how can they go back to Maxwell House or Folgers that are weak in both caffeine and flavor.
That's not true. Make a cup of Folger's using an AeroPress coffeemaker, especially the new Folger's 1850 coffees. It makes Starbucks taste like bitter and burnt swill. I'll take Folger's

The problems with Folger's and Maxwell House are Mr. Coffee, which is just a god-awful, horrendous coffeemaker, and other drip coffeemaker like it. They spray tepid water over the coffee and don't extract any flavor. Once you upgrade to a better coffeemaker or find a better method for making coffee, you'll see that Folger's actually produces some great coffee. But Mr. Coffee ruins it.

These old coffees like Folger's and Maxwell House probably tasted better when I was kid because we didn't have Mr. Coffee. I'm from the generation of percolators, which were probably better coffeemakers.

Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM

34,789 posts, read 53,342,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
That's not true. Make a cup of Folger's using an AeroPress coffeemaker, especially the new Folger's 1850 coffees. It makes Starbucks taste like bitter and burnt swill. I'll take Folger's

The problems with Folger's and Maxwell House are Mr. Coffee, which is just a god-awful, horrendous coffeemaker, and other drip coffeemaker like it. They spray tepid water over the coffee and don't extract any flavor. Once you upgrade to a better coffeemaker or find a better method for making coffee, you'll see that Folger's actually produces some great coffee. But Mr. Coffee ruins it.

These old coffees like Folger's and Maxwell House probably tasted better when I was kid because we didn't have Mr. Coffee. I'm from the generation of percolators, which were probably better coffeemakers.
Well, the cheap and quite primitive AeroPress makes state of the art coffee. I wrote about several times, when people asked for recommendations. It's not a shiny gadget that people would proudly display on their kitchen counters, but the coffee it makes is a divine.
And the Folgers 1850 is considered an upscale, premium coffee.
However, I can't imagine why anyone would even bother to try a more expensive Folgers in a world with so many coffees to choose from. People who want to pay more for better quality will most likely explore other brands, than stick with a brand that has reputation of mediocrity.
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Today, 11:00 AM

20,145 posts, read 13,231,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post

I have a Cuisinart drip coffeemaker, and it makes perfectly fine coffee. I do agree that the pour over method makes excellent coffee, but we drink several cups over a morning and after lunch. The pour overs work best for a cup or two. Then you have to repeat for more. Heaven help you if you have multiple coffee drinking visitors in your house!

Through the years people have consistently complemented my coffee.

I do think you need to start with good beans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or