U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 03:34 PM

8,972 posts, read 8,935,043 times

Advertisements

Was there a time when big brands like Folgerís and Maxwell House had a lot of arabica beans in their blends, then switched to lower-quality robusta as specialty coffee increased in demand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 08:28 PM

17,655 posts, read 22,738,193 times
I use to buy dunkin donuts coffee....then switched to folgers …. its cheaper and I like it in my ninja coffee maker

Maxwell house ….I do think have changed thru the years...very bland

Old 02-01-2019, 09:59 PM

6,164 posts, read 7,376,015 times
I used to be fine with Folger's. Sam's Club also used to have a ground Columbian coffee that was good. They stopped selling it years ago.

The I started drinking darker roasts and grinding the beans before I brewed the coffee. Folger's tastes like swill to me now.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:38 AM

70,427 posts, read 81,205,862 times
At our age and growing up with Folgers, Maxwell house, etc we are perfectly happy withe any of them. WE do like a quality coffee on weekends, preferably a flavored one.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:44 AM

9,050 posts, read 8,392,170 times
I never liked Maxwell House. It's what my mother drank. I called her coffee "swill," as it was half coffee, and a quarter each of sugar and evaporated milk. Everyone else in the NY metro area called it "coffee regular," so I had no idea coffee could actually taste good.

I only started drinking coffee on my own when a friend turned me on to McNulty's Coffee in Greenwich Village, where we both lived. He bought the beans and ground them himself, and made the coffee in a Melitta coffee pot (what the hipsters named "pourover" in this century). I've gone through different permutations and variations of coffee pots and coffee makers, but two things have not changed: I never liked coffee that came in cans and I've always, always drunk it black.

During my catering days, I ordered coffee from Thanksgiving Coffee in Mendocino, CA. A friend who worked for me hated it. Too dark. It was mixture of Sumatra and French Roast. He brought in his own can of Folger's. I found it weak, watery, not worth drinking. But he wanted it, so I paid for it, plus a second pot, just for his use. Everyone should drink something they like while they're cooking, I think.

There's a restaurant here in Pittsburgh that for a while served coffee so insipid, so Folger's 1988-esque, I stopped drinking it there. Eventually, I just stopped eating there. I learned subsequently I wasn't the only person to notice the difference. I was there about two months ago, and found out that the coffee people didn't like was, you guessed it, Folger's. And that they went to something better.

I'm old and geezerly now, and I don't bother grinding the beans any longer—too much mess—but I still prefer non-Folger's, non-Maxwell House coffee. My current favorite is Peet's. As usual, I get a dark roast, either Sumatra or Major Dickason's Blend. I'd buy McNulty's if I still lived in New York, but I don't. I send that friend a pound of their Celebes Kalossi every December, to thank him for bringing coffee into my life. Maybe I'll buy me a pound this month.

Thanks, Frank.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:40 AM

21,224 posts, read 4,439,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I never liked Maxwell House. It's what my mother drank. I called her coffee "swill," as it was half coffee, and a quarter each of sugar and evaporated milk. Everyone else in the NY metro area called it "coffee regular," so I had no idea coffee could actually taste good.

I only started drinking coffee on my own when a friend turned me on to McNulty's Coffee in Greenwich Village, where we both lived. He bought the beans and ground them himself, and made the coffee in a Melitta coffee pot (what the hipsters named "pourover" in this century). I've gone through different permutations and variations of coffee pots and coffee makers, but two things have not changed: I never liked coffee that came in cans and I've always, always drunk it black.

During my catering days, I ordered coffee from Thanksgiving Coffee in Mendocino, CA. A friend who worked for me hated it. Too dark. It was mixture of Sumatra and French Roast. He brought in his own can of Folger's. I found it weak, watery, not worth drinking. But he wanted it, so I paid for it, plus a second pot, just for his use. Everyone should drink something they like while they're cooking, I think.

There's a restaurant here in Pittsburgh that for a while served coffee so insipid, so Folger's 1988-esque, I stopped drinking it there. Eventually, I just stopped eating there. I learned subsequently I wasn't the only person to notice the difference. I was there about two months ago, and found out that the coffee people didn't like was, you guessed it, Folger's. And that they went to something better.

I'm old and geezerly now, and I don't bother grinding the beans any longerótoo much messóbut I still prefer non-Folger's, non-Maxwell House coffee. My current favorite is Peet's. As usual, I get a dark roast, either Sumatra or Major Dickason's Blend. I'd buy McNulty's if I still lived in New York, but I don't. I send that friend a pound of their Celebes Kalossi every December, to thank him for bringing coffee into my life. Maybe I'll buy me a pound this month.

Thanks, Frank.

I really never could drink coffee, never thought it was good, until Starbuck's came along. I know there are other similar companies but I just was hooked on their coffees from the beginning.

Sumatra is my favorite. I no longer grind beans but do buy the 20 oz sizes from Amazon at a decent price.

Tried Folger's, MH...but just not enough flavor...weak, tasteless to me. Wish I DID like them!

Old 02-02-2019, 09:56 PM

12,114 posts, read 8,093,572 times
The problem is that cafes have become more popular and made mass produced coffee forget-able. The main reason Starbucks popularized coffee is they can bring a dark roast coffee with very intense caffeine content. The avg caffeine content in packaged coffee is less than 1/2 of Starbucks fresh brew.

Once Americans are used to this high caffeine coffee from Starbucks, how can they go back to Maxwell House or Folgers that are weak in both caffeine and flavor.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:18 PM

8,972 posts, read 8,935,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The problem is that cafes have become more popular and made mass produced coffee forget-able. The main reason Starbucks popularized coffee is they can bring a dark roast coffee with very intense caffeine content. The avg caffeine content in packaged coffee is less than 1/2 of Starbucks fresh brew.

Once Americans are used to this high caffeine coffee from Starbucks, how can they go back to Maxwell House or Folgers that are weak in both caffeine and flavor.
Actually, dark-roasted coffee has a little less caffeine than coffee with a lighter roast. Robusta beans, which are the inferior-quality beans typically found in canned coffee, have more caffeine than the higher-quality arabica beans.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:39 PM

9,170 posts, read 6,187,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Actually, dark-roasted coffee has a little less caffeine than coffee with a lighter roast. Robusta beans, which are the inferior-quality beans typically found in canned coffee, have more caffeine than the higher-quality arabica beans.
Exactly. It's kind of counterintuitive, but true.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:14 PM

19,029 posts, read 12,462,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

Exactly, and thank you.

Far too many think "dark" equals good coffee with a high caffeine kick; when that is not usually true. What it has done is get a larger share of American coffee market devoted to French, Italian, and other supposed "dark" roasted coffees.

Sadly often what is sold in this country under such labels is over roasted burnt tasting dreck (am looking at you Starbucks).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or