Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 11:01 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,344,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

What about you?
Took a sip of a cup once, and never had it again. It tastes horrible. If you have to dump a bunch of sugar, fat, cream, flavors into it, you need to ask yourself why you are drinking it in the first place. Can't stand the smell of it brewing either. You need to be alert, get more and better sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 11:14 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,154,862 times
Probably aquired a taste for it when I was 5 or 6. At my grandparents the adults would play cards, eat cookies and drink coffee. They would dunk cookie in coffee so I tried it and liked it. So I would sneak over to their coffee cups and dunk my cookies. Yeah, I'm sure they probably saw me do it. Sometimes the cookie would get too soft and end up in their cup.

Didn't start to drink it until high school.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:41 PM

19,238 posts, read 15,111,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I've been drinking coffee since I was ten or so. My dad had one rule "coffee is served black, no sugar, no cream!" I violated that rule as soon as I could. I put 1.5 tsp sugar in 8 ounces. I've been drinking it for over 50 years and will until my dying day. I have one rule. No coffee after 11 am. I'm a bit of an insomniac so that is an important rule for me. Occasionally I like to get one of those little Starbucks Double shot drinks. They have quite the jolt!

When I smoked, a cup of of coffee and a cigarette first thing in the morning were heaven. That was 45 years ago. That first cup of coffee is still great though!
After paying attention, I've discovered that up to around 2:00 pm is the latest I should go. Recently I had some as late as 4:30 pm or so, and getting to sleep was hard.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:58 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,532,160 times
I started drinking it occasionally in high school and regularly in college. For most of my adult life I enjoyed and drank a lot of coffee. Now at 70, I still love it but not after 2pm or I won't sleep. I really miss that afternoon cup, but oh well.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:01 AM

23,814 posts, read 33,310,621 times
Been drinking coffee since I was little. I had to be about 4 when I started making my fathers coffee and drinking some. It then became a thing for me. I used to work with my dad since age 11, we always had a party perk so I would drink at least 6 cups a day and continued that until about 2 years ago when I could only drink one in the morning. Lately coffee has been sounding good to me so I had a 2nd cup and boy did I regret it. It made me really jittery all day. I can't believe I'm now a coffee light weight after drinking it most of my life; about 50 years.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:07 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,904,968 times
As a child, I lived with my paternal grandparents who, having come here from England were tea drinkers except for one cup of "coffee" in the morning.

I was too young to be interested in "coffee", but during WWII, when so many items were rationed and coffee was one of them, my grandparents drank Postum in the morning. I tasted it once and yuk.

By the time coffee became readily available, I was about 11 or 12 and the smell of coffee brewing encouraged me to try it. For a couple of years, when I did have a cup it was with milk and sugar. One day, we were out of milk so I discovered I liked it better with just a bit of sugar.

I drink two cups a day. One is a "wake-up cup" and the second is with my breakfast.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:07 AM

1,199 posts, read 647,941 times
I was a teenager, maybe 14? I wasn't a regular coffee drinker back then though. I cut out all caffeine (even chocolate) in my late 20s due to irritable bowel syndrome, but in my thirties when I became anorexic I started drinking it again and discovered that coffee could provide artificial energy on a serious calorie deficit. I became hooked on it.

I still drink coffee now in my late 40s but am trying to cut back to 1 or 2 per day (from 3-4). I do have bad bones and more than one or two really isn't good for me. I've tried going off completely but it's not too pleasant lol. I usually drink it black but in the last few years have been adding a little cashew milk in it.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:32 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,262,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I was reading the thread about coffee, and I wondered how those of us who devotedly drink the stuff came to drink it. I mean it isn't really good tasting at first. We have to want to learn to like it, no? I drink mine the way I always have--with cream, or some sort of cream like substance. These days I only use half and half. But in past years I've use other "creams."

Some of us like it with sweeteners and flavorings, but I never have liked a hot cup with sweeteners. If the flavor is added to the beans after roasting, then, yeah, I kind of like that for a change.

At any rate, I learned to drink coffee when I got my first job out of college. I would stop in Maryland Kitchen in downtown St. Louis and buy a cup to take up to work. I had barely had a cup before then. I knew I'd learn to drink coffee like a pro, and I did.

I did learn years later, that too much caffeinated coffee during a day will give me a roaring headache. And now, when I am concerned about my blood pressure, I drink decaf during the day. (Although I do drink regular tea during the day. And I enjoy doing it!)

Coffee for me does not come with any unusual or pleasant memories or anything like that. I've simply liked drinking it for years, and I cannot imagine a morning without it.

What about you?
everyone is different. I have never had a problem with too much coffee during the day and I have been
drinking it for 70 years.

When I was about 10 grandma would give up a cup but mostly with cream and sugar, not much coffee. In high school I started having a cup before I left for classes and by college it was certainly my drink of choice. well that was before I discovered wine.

By the time I got married and became a stay at home mom I was pretty much drinking it all day, just like y parents had.

Now, just drink it in the mornings but enjoy every sip. I drink it with cream. Spoiled brat drinks his black.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:37 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,262,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I've been drinking coffee since I was ten or so. My dad had one rule "coffee is served black, no sugar, no cream!" I violated that rule as soon as I could. I put 1.5 tsp sugar in 8 ounces. I've been drinking it for over 50 years and will until my dying day. I have one rule. No coffee after 11 am. I'm a bit of an insomniac so that is an important rule for me. Occasionally I like to get one of those little Starbucks Double shot drinks. They have quite the jolt!

When I smoked, a cup of of coffee and a cigarette first thing in the morning were heaven. That was 45 years ago. That first cup of coffee is still great though!
oh for sure: the coffee and the cigarettes were the perfect pair. I was lost when I first quit smoking and didn't have that cigarette with the coffee. The only time I didn't smoke and drink coffee at the same time was really early in the morning. I didn't smoke until I had eaten something.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:42 AM

23,331 posts, read 23,730,329 times
I was 12-13 years old. Used to accompany my Dad to Mc Donald’s for breakfast on Saturday’s
and that’s how I started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink