U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 03:36 PM

20,223 posts, read 13,280,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
It looks like some people misread the title of the thread. It is not titled do you like or drink coffee, it is titled when did you begin drinking coffee. When.

There's always a few in every one of these threads.

Q: What's your favorite fast food restaurant?
A: Oh, fast food is disgusting; I don't eat any fast food.

Q: What's your favorite soft drink?
A: Colas and other soft drinks are bad for you; I never drink them.

Q: When did you begin drinking coffee?
A: Never did. It tastes horrible.

To answer the OP's question....

I first started drinking it when I was 12 or so. My parents would take us kids out to the local deli for breakfast on Sundays and I wanted to emulate both my coffee-drinking parents, so I started drinking it like they did, with cream and sugar. However, unlike them, I soon grew out of that and began drinking it black. I have continued to have my daily cup(s) of black coffee ever since.
To the first part of your post, i know, I know! Those answers add nothing to the discussion, either. But moving along, thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 04:09 PM

47 posts, read 29,771 times
I was always a tea drinker. When I first tried coffee, in my 20's, I couldn’t stand it, it gave me a stomach ache and I would become very irritable. Fast forward to age 43, I had just moved to South Florida and was working in Miami. Twice a day my coworkers would bring around a tray with Cuban coffee for everyone in the office and I wanted to fit in so…when in Rome… That was back in ’03, been drinking it ever since.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:28 PM

5,147 posts, read 1,803,579 times
I was 15. My mom wouldn't let us drink tea or coffee until we were 14, because she said it was bad for young kidneys. lol

So, turned 14, and enjoyed a glass of iced tea once in awhile. Turned 15, and decided to try coffee. It was kind of a process. It needed lots of doctoring at first. Had my very first cup of coffee at a church function.

I drink coffee every day now. Usually black.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:08 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,095,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I was reading the thread about coffee, and I wondered how those of us who devotedly drink the stuff came to drink it. I mean it isn't really good tasting at first...
For some reason my grandparents thought it was a good idea to serve a preschooler coffee with breakfast, and that particular coffee smelled and tasted as if it had sat in the pot for a week.

Fast forward 20 years and my opinion of coffee hadn't changed, but it seemed to soothe the chronic sore throat I had from smoking 2-3 packs daily.

Then, at the age of 27, I quit smoking and, consequently, coffee began to taste wonderful. I begin every day now with three, 12 ounce cups.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:21 PM

14,188 posts, read 10,378,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Mom and Dad wore out perculators regularily, both being heavy consumers of the stuff. Mom didn't know but I'd tried it, and liked it with milk and especially a little sugar, but not plain. When I was in my senior year, I tended to stay up late, first ingrained adult thing, and loved to sit some nice STRONG black coffee with a tad of sweetness. It settled the stomach for some reason.

I got really sick with colitus, and wasn't supposed to have coffee, but I kept it to sips. The hot fluid helped. Most meds didn't so I'd try anything which did.

When I'd had treatment (major surgery) to fix it, I ask for coffee in the hospital. It was pretty bad stuff, but they brought me a couple of cups a day.

I didn't start drinking a LOT of it until college, or more my retrurn to it. New major (accounting) and LOTS of homework requiring you had to stay awake. I let the coffee do its thing and keep me awake. It was doubly useful when I changed my major to computer programming. There is a reason that the two were just made for each other.

I drink it now because of several reasons. One is, I LIKE it a lot. I like the way its possible to just sweeten it a tad, which my body likes, and you still get the hotness and taste. I use the pomegranite with V8 juice sometimes, just a hint of sweet and full coffee flavor. But, yes, I do drink a lot of it. I like how it keeps me focused when working on something needing that, and yet runs out after a reasonable time to actually relax and sleep.

When its cold, coffee seems to make me warm up better than anything I know. It doesn't take a lot when I've been out on a snowy day. I make sure the coffee is as hot as I can manage, and just sip it.

I *am* picky about what grounds I buy. I like yuban as its has a nice strong flavor, but then found Folgers Black Silk...and haven't used anything else since. Its got a wonderful taste, coffee for sure, but it almost tastes like spices too. And there is no bitterness at all, even though its not sweet.

First thing when I get up, regardless of when, if its an unusual early morning or more likely a later night, is coffee. I'll even have a nice warm one before bed. (and still sleep)

When I'm out, I put lots of sugar and 'cream' in the coffee since you can taste the harshness. Don't need it in the Black silk, though I use a small bit of flavored sweet.

I know people who put away whole big bottles of soda and get another, so maybe instead of the talking about how 'bad' coffee is, how many pepsi's have they had today???
You REALLY like coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
At some point in high school when we'd have 11:00 PM Hockey Practice. Freshman year in College I had a pot next to my desk in the dorm.
I misread this at first. lol

Old 02-04-2019, 05:58 PM

1,878 posts, read 1,134,796 times
I probably tried it off and on over the years when I joined the Army, but couldn't develop a taste for it at the time.

When I was living in Tulsa, I was out with some friends and we were at a coffee shop (not a Starbucks, for the record). Myself and another guy were non-coffee drinkers, but some of the things being served looked and smelled wonderful, so we asked the barista to recommend something for us. She gave us some very yummy drinks--looking back, I think that was probably my first latte. This would have been in my late 20's.

So I didn't become a 'dedicated' coffee drinker, but at least I had something to order when we met at the coffee house.

I started nudging towards it by degrees when I moved to Colorado. I did get hooked on some of the Starbucks specialties. But I still didn't have my own coffeemaker, or anything. That changed when I moved into my new house three and half years ago--somebody gifted me with a coffee machine.

So now I have a cup every morning. I can drink a cup at night and still sleep fine, but I try not to, because I do like to add creamer and flavored syrups to mine (so I try to limit my coffee intake to the one cup in the morning). I buy sugar-free syrups and just put in a splash, but recently I switched over to a dairy delivery that delivers their products in glass bottles, and I ordered some of their creamer.....and Oh...My....GOD, it is head and shoulders over anything I've ever bought in a grocery store--so much richer and smoother, and ironically, a point less on the WW systems than the store bought.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:10 PM

20,223 posts, read 13,280,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I probably tried it off and on over the years when I joined the Army, but couldn't develop a taste for it at the time.

When I was living in Tulsa, I was out with some friends and we were at a coffee shop (not a Starbucks, for the record). Myself and another guy were non-coffee drinkers, but some of the things being served looked and smelled wonderful, so we asked the barista to recommend something for us. She gave us some very yummy drinks--looking back, I think that was probably my first latte. This would have been in my late 20's.

So I didn't become a 'dedicated' coffee drinker, but at least I had something to order when we met at the coffee house.

I started nudging towards it by degrees when I moved to Colorado. I did get hooked on some of the Starbucks specialties. But I still didn't have my own coffeemaker, or anything. That changed when I moved into my new house three and half years ago--somebody gifted me with a coffee machine.

So now I have a cup every morning. I can drink a cup at night and still sleep fine, but I try not to, because I do like to add creamer and flavored syrups to mine (so I try to limit my coffee intake to the one cup in the morning). I buy sugar-free syrups and just put in a splash, but recently I switched over to a dairy delivery that delivers their products in glass bottles, and I ordered some of their creamer.....and Oh...My....GOD, it is head and shoulders over anything I've ever bought in a grocery store--so much richer and smoother, and ironically, a point less on the WW systems than the store bought.
And so the addiction progresses!

I know people who put whipping cream in their cups. Yeah, it tastes amazing. It makes subpar brew taste really good!

Old 02-04-2019, 06:56 PM

3,992 posts, read 6,916,468 times
About 7:45 this morning.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:18 PM

2,282 posts, read 540,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I was reading the thread about coffee, and I wondered how those of us who devotedly drink the stuff came to drink it. I mean it isn't really good tasting at first. We have to want to learn to like it, no? I drink mine the way I always have--with cream, or some sort of cream like substance. These days I only use half and half. But in past years I've use other "creams."

Some of us like it with sweeteners and flavorings, but I never have liked a hot cup with sweeteners. If the flavor is added to the beans after roasting, then, yeah, I kind of like that for a change.

At any rate, I learned to drink coffee when I got my first job out of college. I would stop in Maryland Kitchen in downtown St. Louis and buy a cup to take up to work. I had barely had a cup before then. I knew I'd learn to drink coffee like a pro, and I did.

I did learn years later, that too much caffeinated coffee during a day will give me a roaring headache. And now, when I am concerned about my blood pressure, I drink decaf during the day. (Although I do drink regular tea during the day. And I enjoy doing it!)

Coffee for me does not come with any unusual or pleasant memories or anything like that. I've simply liked drinking it for years, and I cannot imagine a morning without it.

What about you?
High school, when my small city of 30,000 got its first Starbucks. Then a second, as both were close to the interstate.

The evolution of my palette was as follows:

18 y/o: tall French Vanilla Cappuccino
20 y/o: tall Pike Place, cream, 2 raw sugars
22 y/o: venti triple White Mocha
24 y/o: grande Americano, cream, 2 raw sugars
26 y/o: tall Pike Place, cream, 2 raw sugars... still going

Old 02-04-2019, 08:30 PM

491 posts, read 758,521 times
I started drinking coffee to keep awake when I was working and finishing high school. Always took it black, no milk, cream or sugar. And still do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or