U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 08:48 PM

17,711 posts, read 22,780,279 times

Advertisements

I started when working in a refrigerated meatcutting processing room..... all day and colder in the cooler.

we weren't suppose to but we brought coffee in the room.....it was warm and welcomed having hands in ice pack chicken parts and making sausage in a cooler...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 08:56 PM

4,676 posts, read 7,804,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I was reading the thread about coffee, and I wondered how those of us who devotedly drink the stuff came to drink it. I mean it isn't really good tasting at first. We have to want to learn to like it, no? I drink mine the way I always have--with cream, or some sort of cream like substance. These days I only use half and half. But in past years I've use other "creams."

Some of us like it with sweeteners and flavorings, but I never have liked a hot cup with sweeteners. If the flavor is added to the beans after roasting, then, yeah, I kind of like that for a change.

At any rate, I learned to drink coffee when I got my first job out of college. I would stop in Maryland Kitchen in downtown St. Louis and buy a cup to take up to work. I had barely had a cup before then. I knew I'd learn to drink coffee like a pro, and I did.

I did learn years later, that too much caffeinated coffee during a day will give me a roaring headache. And now, when I am concerned about my blood pressure, I drink decaf during the day. (Although I do drink regular tea during the day. And I enjoy doing it!)

Coffee for me does not come with any unusual or pleasant memories or anything like that. I've simply liked drinking it for years, and I cannot imagine a morning without it.

What about you?
I didn't start really drinking coffee until a few years ago, mid-late 30s (only the occasional weak cup at my in-laws house before that.) Got a cup at Sheetz convenience store instead of my normal tea for some reason I don't remember.

What I do remember is that cup of joe giving like 6 hours of pure energy and focus to clean and mop the basement. My wife and I got a coffee machine that Christmas and enjoy it regularly now. I am still a daily tea drinker, but I will drink about 2-3 cups of coffee a week when I can use the energy to get something done.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:59 PM

35,981 posts, read 40,463,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

I know people who put away whole big bottles of soda and get another, so maybe instead of the talking about how 'bad' coffee is, how many pepsi's have they had today???
I taught with a woman who would turn her nose up at the gross coffee drinkers, yet had pyramids of Red Bull cans in her office.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:05 PM

3,063 posts, read 1,354,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I was reading the thread about coffee, and I wondered how those of us who devotedly drink the stuff came to drink it. I mean it isn't really good tasting at first. We have to want to learn to like it, no? I drink mine the way I always have--with cream, or some sort of cream like substance. These days I only use half and half. But in past years I've use other "creams."

Some of us like it with sweeteners and flavorings, but I never have liked a hot cup with sweeteners. If the flavor is added to the beans after roasting, then, yeah, I kind of like that for a change.

At any rate, I learned to drink coffee when I got my first job out of college. I would stop in Maryland Kitchen in downtown St. Louis and buy a cup to take up to work. I had barely had a cup before then. I knew I'd learn to drink coffee like a pro, and I did.

I did learn years later, that too much caffeinated coffee during a day will give me a roaring headache. And now, when I am concerned about my blood pressure, I drink decaf during the day. (Although I do drink regular tea during the day. And I enjoy doing it!)

Coffee for me does not come with any unusual or pleasant memories or anything like that. I've simply liked drinking it for years, and I cannot imagine a morning without it.

What about you?
Started when I was 6-7 years old.Unable to come out of that habit still after decades.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:11 PM

67 posts, read 86,312 times
I drank coffee with lots of milk with my mother every morning from the time I was six. Never with sugar, and she drank it black. Toast and coffee is still my favorite breakfast. She was an artist and never worried much about a healthy breakfast for a child. I survived and have lots of happy memories of her.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:31 PM

53,138 posts, read 52,263,189 times
I grew up drinking tea. Still do, but when I was 20, I got a job in an office after secretarial school, and making the 100 cup pot of coffee in the morning was part of my job.

At some point I started drinking it. My father drank coffee, and it always smelled good, but we kids drank tea, as did my mother. I tried it in the office, and then I bought it at coffee trucks in the city, and forty years later, it's still an addiction. I am pretty cranky in the morning until the caffeine hits my bloodstream.

Half and half, no sugar.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:37 PM

920 posts, read 1,362,534 times
My first job after college. I may have had a few cups before that but I started regularly during my first job. I think it was because I wanted the caffeine boost since I was always falling asleep at my desk. Didn't really like the taste at first but it grew on me. Still drink one or two cups almost every day, usually with cream, sometimes with a creamer that also contains sugar but I prefer cream or half and half only. I'll probably be drinking coffee until the day I die, unless health reasons prevent me from doing so.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:41 AM

6,404 posts, read 3,472,166 times
I'm of French ancestry, so of course I started drinking coffee young. At about age 10, I think. At home. With milk. I didn't have to "learn" to drink it, though! LOL! It was already in my blood!

I LOVE coffee. I don't buy expensive coffee, either, although I have on occasion. I'll buy almost anything on a really good sale, but my preference is Starbucks (any of the brown varieties, but Pike's Peak is a good one, as is Italian). I make it home. With an old fashioned percolator. Mmmmmmm. (I don't buy it at Starbucks.)

Old 02-05-2019, 05:28 AM

9,909 posts, read 3,376,536 times
First coffee I ever drank was probably some awful instant coffee, which we had at home, this was later replaced by a cafetiere and then a capsule Nespresso machine. Whilst in terms of public consumption it was possible in one of the big department store cafes as a child, when I was dragged along on some clothes shopping expedition with my parents.

Coffee had a strange histoy in the UK, indeed Coffee Houses fiest started to spring up around 1650's in Oxford and London, however the drink was seen as scandalous in certain quarters.

The Coffee Houses around the City of London became places where traders would meet and deals were done.

English Coffeehouses - Historic UK

Later when Britain developed an Empire, Coffee was exported from places such as Ceylon, however a fungal disease killed off the coffee crop and the British East India Company planted tea instead and encouraged the British to drink tea.

Tea Rooms such as Lyons Cornerhouse grew, indeed it was celebrity chef Nigella Lawsons mothers family who owned the Lyons brand.

However Coffee Houses did survive and in the 1950's and 60's trendy Coffee Bars started to appear in London and other UK cities selling Italian Expresso, some of wehich such as Bar Italia in London's Soho are still going strong and which have been in numerous song lyrics and have had a numner of celebrity customers.

Bar Italia – 22 Frith St, Soho, London W1D 4RF

The fascinating story of Soho's 1950s espresso revolution - Telegraph

The youth movements of the time embraced the coffee culture with the Beatniks sitting around drinking coffee whilst reading poetry and the Mods also embracing coffee along with amphetimine pills to keep them awake.

At the same motorways (highways) were being built and the service stations often sold lots of coffee (a stimulant) to tired motorists, and there were also famous cafes for bikers and truckers such as the Ace Cafe, a favourite haunt of rockers including the Rolling Stones.

Ace Cafe London

England's best and worst motorway services of 2018 named - BBC News

Coffee grew over the years in British cities, indeed the Costa Brothers opened their first coffee shop on Victoria Bridge Road in London in 1978. Today Costa Coffee is the largest coffee chain in Europe and the second largest coffee retailer in the world afer Starbucks operations in 32 countries, indeed Costa was recently aquired by Coca Cola for $5.1 Billion. It now looks like Coca Cola have big expansion plans and are taking the chain to the US.

A drop of history - Costa Coffee

Coca-Cola to buy Costa coffee for £3.9bn - BBC News

Coca-Cola Acquires Costa Coffee; Will Open First Costa Branches in the USA

Other British chains include Caffè Nero and Coffee Republic, however there are some 20,000 coffee outlets in the UK today.

Read Our Story - The Pursuit of Excellent Coffee - Caffè Nero UK

Coffee Republic – Our Republic | Italian-style coffee bars across the UK

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-05-2019 at 05:59 AM..

Old 02-05-2019, 09:46 AM
Status: "POTUS Trump promises - not hot air" (set 5 days ago)

14,266 posts, read 5,643,669 times
During college. I switched to ice coffee, and dropped the sugar (never once had it with milk) after college. Now I drink ice coffee all year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or