Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 02:22 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,006,280 times

Advertisements

I'm confused--which spices do you want to omit in favor of peppers? I mean, you can't sub turmeric or cinnamon or smoked paprika or coriander with pepper and expect the same flavor profile. It's like saying "Can I just use potatoes instead of any other vegetable?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 02:48 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,175,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I'm confused--which spices do you want to omit in favor of peppers? I mean, you can't sub turmeric or cinnamon or smoked paprika or coriander with pepper and expect the same flavor profile. It's like saying "Can I just use potatoes instead of any other vegetable?"
Well, it could be the culinary equivalent of the Schwa Project whose objective was to replace all the vowels in English with the "schwa" or "uhhh" sound.

Or you could just go all Iowa and limit your spices to two, salt and black pepper - and they're not quite sure about black pepper, either.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,950,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Here is a great table about pairing spices:
https://delishably.com/spices-season...-Pairing-Guide
This a great reference!

Old 02-04-2019, 05:30 PM

797 posts, read 437,866 times
I use only the following:
cumin, oregano, basil, cayenne, garlic, salt and pepper. Sometimes thyme, sometimes curry. Sometimes soy sauce.
I find that these and combinations thereof work for just about everything and as to which to put in what, experiment. It's just a matter of what YOU like.
If it's beans I use more cumin, if it's pasta I use more oregano, etc.
I'm certainly not a cook and not a foodie, I just cook when I have to and make stuff I like.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:55 PM

48,311 posts, read 34,449,879 times
Only 15?!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-05-2019, 12:52 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,763,796 times
OP, I don't understand where all these people are going with their answers but to succinctly answer your question - organic peppers can replace...peppers!

Old 02-05-2019, 10:19 AM

10,981 posts, read 9,627,403 times
Exactly, use peppers to replace peppers. Could you imagine replacing cinnamon in your oatmeal with peppers? Peppers taste like peppers. Other things taste completely different. Some spices work well in sweet dishes, others work well in savory and most taste nothing like each other. Some taste lemony, grassy, onion-y, garlic-y, some taste lick licorice, and others have smoky, or very herbaceous flavors. Often the bottle of spice will say specifically what it goes well with right there on the back label. Like on a bottle of ground coriander it might say "goes well with chicken or fish", etc. Some spices are used in desserts most frequently, but also go well with vegetables and starches. Different cuisines from other countries use various spices differently. Read recipes and you will soon learn what spices are typically paired with which foods.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:26 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,295,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Here is a great table about pairing spices:
https://delishably.com/spices-season...-Pairing-Guide
thanx for posting

Old 02-05-2019, 02:00 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,523,146 times
Sichuan hot oils are perfect examples of how peppers and spices together can create really good hot pepper sauces or oils that are used for dipping, sauces, soup bases, or as a marinade.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:22 PM

23,884 posts, read 32,174,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, when you find out what kind of organic peppers taste like thyme, rosemary, comino, or cinnamon, let us know, won't you?
THIS^^^!

Other than imported paprika, cayenne pepper and chili powder, I can think of few spices that taste anything like peppers - organic or not.

And, I don't even think those three peppery spices taste exactly alike.

You have 15 spices? I have a closet full! Maybe 40 at any given time.

I am curious, how did you come up with this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink