U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 11:37 AM

8,503 posts, read 7,798,292 times

Advertisements

When I cook cauliflower crust piazza from Trader Joes I have to preheat the oven and pan to 452 degrees so I can get a super crispy crust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 02:11 PM

11,055 posts, read 19,599,924 times
Which is kind of baking - like we said, that makes a difference. (how do you get to 452?

Old 02-06-2019, 06:58 PM

8,024 posts, read 2,551,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm cooking some frozen chicken wings in the oven and as usual it says to preheat it. I'm not sure why chicken wings or most things need a preheated oven. Why isn't it correct to turn on the oven, set it to the right temp and just put the item in?
I realize preheating is important when baking breads, cakes and things like that, but why do directions say to preheat for other foods. What am I missing?

The purpose is so you will be able to time the period the food is exposed to the full heat. If you put it in a cold oven, the time it takes to reach full heat may be difficult to determine.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:17 PM

19,087 posts, read 12,514,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm cooking some frozen chicken wings in the oven and as usual it says to preheat it. I'm not sure why chicken wings or most things need a preheated oven. Why isn't it correct to turn on the oven, set it to the right temp and just put the item in?
I realize preheating is important when baking breads, cakes and things like that, but why do directions say to preheat for other foods. What am I missing?
Placing something "cold" into a cold oven means the thing must first not only reach the desired temperature itself, but has the extra load of heating that cold food as well.

Depending upon what is being cooked, roasted, baked, or whatever this may or may not be a good thing.

For baking because of precise reactions that should/must take place it is best to pre-heat.

By pre-heating before roasting/baking meat or poultry it allows the initial hit of high heat to form a crust which makes for the crispy skin many desire. That "crust" also helps seal in juices. Also the faster meat or poultry bakes or roasts lessens the chances of a dried out result.

Things like cakes, soufflés, breads, and so forth also should be placed into a pre-heated oven.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:09 PM

1,858 posts, read 668,679 times
Scrat (above) wins:
"When it comes to bread making (and baking in general) it makes a huge difference."

with meat, veggies, and just about everything else...no purpose.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:27 PM

983 posts, read 867,662 times
Preheating is very important for the baked goods, as others noted. But this question is not about that, so I looked it up a bit.

Similar question on CD from 2010 (some nonsense in the comments IMO):
Preheating the oven

Simple explanation on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlike...eat_oven_when/

I think bottom line is if you have direction on the package then it makes more sense to follow them. If oven is not preheated the food will likely still be edible but just not that good.

As a side note, however, I’ve seen a couple of cases when the package directions were way off.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:11 PM

7,151 posts, read 12,625,255 times
About the only thing I do preheat for is our Digiorno pizza. I cook Grands frozen biscuits every morning and never preheat like it says to. Never bother with timing the biscuits. I know what they're supposed to look like when they're ready. Sometime the eye is the best timer.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:33 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,289,990 times
Timing.

Also, one should almost always take out meats early to come to nearly room temperature to cook for the best results.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:20 AM

9,396 posts, read 18,339,105 times
Haven't a clue why ovens should be pre-heated and what with the cost of propane (no natural gas in Hawaii and don't even think about using electricity for an oven, it's way too expensive), I don't want to run the oven longer than necessary.

Bread gets baked about twice a week. It's put in the bread pans, put in the oven and the oven is set on a delay start to let the bread rise a bit. Then the oven turns itself on and the bread is in there as it heats up. Works a treat, haven't a clue as to why the oven should be pre-heated.

This is for the basic wheat/white enriched breads. For the more crusty rustic loaves, then sometimes I'll pre-heat and add some water to make steam before putting in the bread. But that's only for one or two special recipes. The rest of the time, it makes no difference.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:08 AM

5,405 posts, read 2,443,580 times
I do custards and pies. Can't imagine not preheating the oven for the dough.
Mind you it does take about 20 mins to reach correct setting. I absolutely love gas ovens. The calibrating though to keep it even thru out has teetered from time to time.
My roasted veggies brown easier if correct temp is set. Soggy veggies otherwise..blah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or