U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 04:19 AM

916 posts, read 209,432 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite ways of doing a beef roast is to preheat the oven to 500F, sear the roast for 5 minutes and then drop the temp to 200F for 1 hour per pound. Obviously it can't be done starting with the roast in a cold oven. I also do one pot dishes that start on the stove and finish in the oven. Don't want the heat loss from putting the already hot pot into a cold oven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 06:28 AM

14,220 posts, read 7,749,441 times
Preheating is more important for baked items like cookies and cakes because the timing is more critical. You want your starting point to be at the point the temp. is where it should be - otherwise your time could be off by as much as 15 minutes. Cakes, cookies, pies, etc. are not forgiving - cookies only take 10-15 minutes anyway so to start them in a cold oven is suicide.

For meat it doesn't matter so much - it'll take you more time (but you have that whether you preheat or are "preheating" with the meat already in there. Also, if the cooking time is more than say 45 minutes, you have more variation built in anyway.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:57 AM

540 posts, read 59,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Why isn't it correct to turn on the oven, set it to the right temp and just put the item in? What am I missing?
Preheating the oven is to have all foods cooking at a consistent temperature throughout the oven.

Example:

Oven Turned Off: [_______________________] No heat

Non-Preheated: [_____V___V____V____V__] This will cause food to cook unevenly.

Pre-Heated: [_V_V_V_V_V_V_V_V_V_V_] Food will cook more evenly throughout.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:57 PM

3,459 posts, read 1,403,650 times
Put meat or veggies in a heating oven, and the inside and outside reaches the same degree of soggy doneness at the same time.

Put them in a preheated oven, and the outside of the food gets crispy and seals in the moisture, leaving the insides tender and moist.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:27 PM

2,592 posts, read 953,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm cooking some frozen chicken wings in the oven and as usual it says to preheat it. I'm not sure why chicken wings or most things need a preheated oven. Why isn't it correct to turn on the oven, set it to the right temp and just put the item in?
I realize preheating is important when baking breads, cakes and things like that, but why do directions say to preheat for other foods. What am I missing?

The instructions tell you how long to cook them in such and such temp for so many minutes.
If you put the wings in a cold oven how long do you cook them for? It won't be the same time in the instructions. Follow the instructions for the best taste and quality. That's what they are there for.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:48 AM

11,223 posts, read 4,546,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
The instructions tell you how long to cook them in such and such temp for so many minutes.
If you put the wings in a cold oven how long do you cook them for? It won't be the same time in the instructions. Follow the instructions for the best taste and quality. That's what they are there for.
Well, an oven even with frozen chicken wings in it, shouldn't take more than 3-4 minutes to heat up, at least mine doesn't. None of this is rocket science, IMO.
BTW, my wings came out perfectly cooked and crispy the way I like them without preheating. I didn't preheat to see if there was any difference. A quick look at them told me they were ready and it was about the same time the directions said it would take plus or minus a couple of minutes. So as far as chicken wings go, I didn't find any reason to preheat the oven. I'm sure other foods will vary.

Last edited by marino760; 02-08-2019 at 09:01 AM..

Old 02-09-2019, 08:46 AM

769 posts, read 1,084,907 times
I just like having the oven at it's highest temp ready when I'm about to throw in anything. Regardless of it being cake, cookies, meat or chicken, I know how long a chicken needs to cook for if the oven is already at 415 degrees. If I prepared my food before I turned the oven on, I'll have to wait for the oven to get to temp, maybe with the food inside or outside.

Tip for pizza: If you have a (by this I mean if you currently own) stone pan, place that in the oven while it's getting hot. Prepare the pizza on an aluminum tray and then place the tray on the stone. This creates a crispy crust on the bottom of the pizza.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:18 AM

4,676 posts, read 2,375,502 times
I always follow directions to preheat. Putting food in a nonpreheated oven strikes me as similar to putting a steak in a cold frying pan. No thanks.

Old Today, 10:03 AM

6,212 posts, read 3,330,114 times
If I am actually cooking something I preheat properly, whether it's a fry pan, grill, oven, or boiling water. On the other hand if I'm just warming up a pre packaged box of frozen misc food like product, I just put it in and go by thermometer. Doesn't seem to affect taste or texture either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or