U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 12:00 PM

53,075 posts, read 52,201,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Cauliflower pizza crusts are very tricky. You have to read labels closely. Yesterday I was looking at Trader Joe's version. They're somewhat smallish ... I'd say one could serve one or two people. I looked at the label ... 17g of carbs. Okay, not ideal, but not horrible. Then I looked at the serving size ... 1/6 of the pizza! So half a pizza, not counting sauce, cheese and toppings, is 51g of carbs!! YIKES!!!
I know. I bought one of those, too, and laughed out loud at the serving size. I ate it in two meals.

When buying packaged foods, it's a better idea to ignore the misleading "serving size" (serving for whom? A seven-year-old?) which I suspect are carefully designed to make the food fit recommended nutrition guidelines and instead just calculate the nutrition information for the entire package. Then you'll know what you're getting by how much of the product you eat.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 PM

11,774 posts, read 3,292,558 times
Quote:
Boy, ain't that the truth!?!? I have been known to spend a half hour in the tomato sauce aisle comparing labels! That's one food where you can see a wide disparity in carb counts. It's kind of amazing.
Oy, I am super picky about pasta sauces. If it has added sugar, it doesn't come in the house. Health issues aside, it tastes nasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Thanks, coconut milk was one of the things I was thinking of for soups. I think coconut is gaining some traction as an ingredient in savory dishes. I know I love it in Thai food.

I don't have an immersion blender. Could I do the same thing in a standard food processor?
There's also a thicker coconut cream. I've used it in my coffee to cut calories.

I just cooked my oatmeal in almond milk.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Boy, ain't that the truth!?!? I have been known to spend a half hour in the tomato sauce aisle comparing labels! That's one food where you can see a wide disparity in carb counts. It's kind of amazing.
Quote:
Oy, I am super picky about pasta sauces. If it has added sugar, it doesn't come in the house. Health issues aside, it tastes nasty.
YES. I'm not a person who knows what "craving pasta" feels like, but I occasionally enjoy some. The last time I went sauce shopping, I was in the aisle for a long, long, time. I never realized how much sugar is in those sauces until I started to look for it.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know. I bought one of those, too, and laughed out loud at the serving size. I ate it in two meals.

When buying packaged foods, it's a better idea to ignore the misleading "serving size" (serving for whom? A seven-year-old?) which I suspect are carefully designed to make the food fit recommended nutrition guidelines and instead just calculate the nutrition information for the entire package. Then you'll know what you're getting by how much of the product you eat.
Agreed. The serving sizes on lots of pre-packaged stuff is a complete joke, with no basis in how real people behave. I understand the importance of portion control, but that's really not usually an issue here. Housemate doesn't overeat, she just eats too much of the wrong things.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
YES. I'm not a person who knows what "craving pasta" feels like, but I occasionally enjoy some. The last time I went sauce shopping, I was in the aisle for a long, long, time. I never realized how much sugar is in those sauces until I started to look for it.
I have a list of "go-to" brands. It's very short.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
There's also a thicker coconut cream. I've used it in my coffee to cut calories.

I just cooked my oatmeal in almond milk.
Are there any other whole grains you enjoy as a breakfast dish? The ideal thing would be a blend that could also be used as a savory side.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Agreed. The serving sizes on lots of pre-packaged stuff is a complete joke, with no basis in how real people behave. I understand the importance of portion control, but that's really not usually an issue here. Housemate doesn't overeat, she just eats too much of the wrong things.
I understand, and it's painful to give up foods you love. When my doctor told me he that he really should be putting me on blood sugar and cholesterol meds, I said, "Noooo, give me six months to get them down with diet and exercise. (I did it, too. Lost 24 pounds and lowered both back to normal levels.)

I knew damn well that this was a result of eating ice cream every day. I had to stop and I knew it, but I mourned that ice cream for a while. Went from April to Labor Day with NO ICE CREAM WHATSOEVER. The entire summer. And I live near the ocean where there are many ice cream places open in summer, including one a mile from my house that I used to stop at on the way home from my train station after work. I finally treated myself on Labor Day weekend, but I still stayed off of it until my October doctor's appointment, and now it's an occasional treat.

I didn't turn my whole diet upside down. I made smaller changes one at a time. For example, the first thing I did besides swearing off ice cream was add a salad to my diet every day. Just that. A salad as either a meal or as part of a meal, once a day. When you eat a bunch of raw vegetables, something else doesn't get eaten. Then I had days, one a week to start, where I decided it would be a "plant-based" day wherein I ate no animal products. I still do that.

Bought dark chocolate instead of the sweet stuff and learned to like it.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Are there any other whole grains you enjoy as a breakfast dish? The ideal thing would be a blend that could also be used as a savory side.
No. Just oatmeal. I eat eggs a lot and tend to always keep hardboiled ones in the fridge because they are high protein, low-calorie and stop me from eating worse things.

Occasionally I have a piece of whole-wheat or rye toast with peanut butter for breakfast, and maybe a piece of fruit alongside it, but I try not to keep bread in the house all the time because if it's there I'll keep eating it, and it just blows me up.

I used to have a book called This Is Why You Are Fat, which was basically about the problem of sugar, and the author recommended that the first change be that no matter what else you eat, every day for two weeks eat two hardboiled eggs and a serving of oatmeal.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:21 PM

3,264 posts, read 1,573,513 times
My mom had similar health issues later in life, as do I. These are suggestions that I used for both of us. Note, I am focusing more on a diabetic diet.

- For starters, cut the amount of bread consumed in half. If you routinely have bread or rolls with meals, try to cut them out. For things like sandwiches or burgers, remove half of the bun, or make it half a sandwich with more filling inside. Just doing this made a huge difference for me when I was first diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.
- I wouldn't worry so much about whole milk unless several glasses are consumed a day. I would be more concerned about the cereal it goes on. Cereal is something diabetics have to be very careful about. I cannot eat cereal at all because of the blood sugar spikes, including plain oatmeal. For her diabetes, eggs would be a much better alternative for breakfast if she likes them.
- You mentioned rice pilaf. White rice can be very bad for diabetics. She should only be eating small amounts of it.
- Try serving smaller portions instead of cutting out some foods completely. I found the diabetic portion plate explanation to be very helpful for my mom. She could understand this.
- Some favorites can still be eaten with modifications. For example, I love pizza, it's probably my favorite food. When I'm really craving it, I will get it with a very thin crust to minimize the carbs and then make sure there's a decent amount of meat and veggies on it. I have to limit myself to one slice, though, and that's hard!

Good luck with everything. You can make a difference with the diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink