U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2019, 12:33 PM

29,426 posts, read 18,657,092 times

Advertisements

My favorite bread (besides a locally made one) that is lower in carbs is Sara Lee 45, it's good for people who like fluffy soft bread. Otherwise you would need something like Ezikiel (sp), which is good, but not in the same way.

There are no pasta substitutes that are low in carbs that are good. The whole wheat pasta and protein pasta are okay, and I'll eat them, but being pre-diabetic they are not acceptable.

If you don't like skim milk, nut milk will be LESS palatable. Here's a hint: give it a few weeks, you do get used to it. Same with lowering sugar and salt.

But honestly? It sounds like it is all for naught, because she will just go out and eat bad stuff anyway.

We used to eat a huge variety of grains, black / red rice, quinoa, bulghur, spelt... you name it. All healthy and all non acceptable is diabetes is a concern. Sure you may be able to have a little, but the carbs are way too high.

Being pre-diabetic I prefer to just make things that do not require the carb component.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 02:38 PM

35,864 posts, read 44,024,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
The goal is to keep her blood sugar more stable and to reduce her cholesterol.

She has asked me to prepare healthier meals, it is not something I am imposing on her against her will.
Oh sure, I get that. You could try a trick that works with children....”The Doctor said”. ...(“I’d like to let you stay up until 9, but the doctor said that children need to be in bed by 7:30.)

Get some dietary guidelines from the doctor or a nutritionist, and follow it. “I’d like to make you macaroni and cheese tonight, Edith, but the doctor said I must follow this list of foods carefully.”

Old 02-08-2019, 04:23 PM

17,688 posts, read 22,768,823 times
carbs n sugars are the real food demons..

ive been on a keto diet and never felt better....on no medications

its funny how my "health nut" friends seems to be sick so often..

I haven't called in sick for 8 yrs......maybe a cold last yr nothing more..

results correlate with effort...…….. if you say one thing and doing another you are only sabotaging yourself....

Old 02-08-2019, 04:50 PM

1,100 posts, read 420,994 times
I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I now eat a limited carb diet, and it is difficult.

For milk, have you tried Fairlife milk? It is higher protein, lower sugar, and has a fattier mouthfeel--I use the 2%, and it is really good. I have never liked milk, so it's been strange for me to have a big glass of milk as a snack. It's satisfying and keeps me full. They have a chocolate milk, as well, which can be a once-in-awhile treat. I don't do skim, even in Fairlife.

I met with a nutritionist, and it was extremely helpful. I do a simple carb count--one slice of bread is about 15g of carbs, so that is my measure. I try to stick to about 5-7 carb servings a day. 1-2 for each meal, maybe one for a snack. I have carby days, though, and need to indulge. But, it's something that you can teach your body--I am infinitely more satisfied on fewer carbs now than I was before. I eat 1/4-1/2 cup of oatmeal in the morning (cooked) with some natural peanut butter, or scrambled eggs with cheese (no toast, usually). I eat nuts for snacks. I eat cottage cheese and avocados. I am crazy about fruit, so when my family is eating cake or cookies, I usually have an orange or an apple. It's funny how quickly you can feel better!

I love pasta, especially spaghetti. If I could, I'd eat it every day. Love it. I have three ways of dealing with the spaghetti dilemma:
1. Smaller portions of the regular stuff (I do use the Barilla in the yellow box that's higher in protein), but add vegetables on the side. Portions are a big deal.
2. Spaghetti squash. I love it. I grew some of my own this year, and it was just amazing. I like it with the same sauce I serve the fam (they are NOT fond of spaghetti squash!).
3. Veggie noodles. I love zoodles (zucchini noodles). I find them so good sauteed with some garlic & canned diced tomatoes. I can eat a HUGE portion if I want. Of course, everyone feels differently about them.

Ultimately, while whole grains are more nutritious, I approach it as a carb is a carb is a carb. If I start doing fancy math to basically increase my carb consumption, I'll never stop. So every time I eat carbs, if I can make a healthy, whole-grain choice, I do. But my body still recognizes the carbs as carbs.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:42 PM

29,426 posts, read 18,657,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
carbs n sugars are the real food demons..

ive been on a keto diet and never felt better....on no medications

its funny how my "health nut" friends seems to be sick so often..

I haven't called in sick for 8 yrs......maybe a cold last yr nothing more..

results correlate with effort...…….. if you say one thing and doing another you are only sabotaging yourself....

That's you. If I do keto, I am all but crippled from my RA flaring up.

BUT, it is pretty universally agreed that we eat too much sugar, and it is no good for you, and simple carbs are not really healthy.

I'm definitely a generalist when it comes to diet, variety, variety, variety.

I take immune suppressors. The key side effect? Infections of all kinds, all the time, and I am rarely sick with an infection despite taking the highest dose. So your example is countered by mine.

You lean mostly meat, and I lean mostly veggie. Neither of our experiences prove anything.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 02-09-2019, 08:21 AM

15,936 posts, read 18,990,535 times
There are a ton of diabetes related recipe sites online. It helped me quite a bit to know what was higher in carbs....then adjust my carb intake....And, you have to have some carbs because that is energy related....The goal is balance.

The diabetes related websites help. Also, does your friend have the type medical insurance that offers Diabetes related classes for cooking etc. Or these can also be found free at your local senior center. Please check. And, your friend will need to get involved....investing in this is the best way for them to get on the right track.

I learned many years ago....when you crave sweets you are actually craving protein.....Many protein sources....with or without carbs. And....it is ok to cheat a lil bit occasionally.....But try to differentiate between healthy carbs (veggies) and empty carbs (pastries)

There were lots of links when I searched "diabetic recipes" Please do some more searching, below is just one.
https://www.farxiga.com/managing-typ...ANFQ&gclsrc=ds

Old 02-09-2019, 08:24 AM

15,936 posts, read 18,990,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I now eat a limited carb diet, and it is difficult.

For milk, have you tried Fairlife milk? It is higher protein, lower sugar, and has a fattier mouthfeel--I use the 2%, and it is really good. I have never liked milk, so it's been strange for me to have a big glass of milk as a snack. It's satisfying and keeps me full. They have a chocolate milk, as well, which can be a once-in-awhile treat. I don't do skim, even in Fairlife.

I met with a nutritionist, and it was extremely helpful. I do a simple carb count--one slice of bread is about 15g of carbs, so that is my measure. I try to stick to about 5-7 carb servings a day. 1-2 for each meal, maybe one for a snack. I have carby days, though, and need to indulge. But, it's something that you can teach your body--I am infinitely more satisfied on fewer carbs now than I was before. I eat 1/4-1/2 cup of oatmeal in the morning (cooked) with some natural peanut butter, or scrambled eggs with cheese (no toast, usually). I eat nuts for snacks. I eat cottage cheese and avocados. I am crazy about fruit, so when my family is eating cake or cookies, I usually have an orange or an apple. It's funny how quickly you can feel better!

I love pasta, especially spaghetti. If I could, I'd eat it every day. Love it. I have three ways of dealing with the spaghetti dilemma:
1. Smaller portions of the regular stuff (I do use the Barilla in the yellow box that's higher in protein), but add vegetables on the side. Portions are a big deal.
2. Spaghetti squash. I love it. I grew some of my own this year, and it was just amazing. I like it with the same sauce I serve the fam (they are NOT fond of spaghetti squash!).
3. Veggie noodles. I love zoodles (zucchini noodles). I find them so good sauteed with some garlic & canned diced tomatoes. I can eat a HUGE portion if I want. Of course, everyone feels differently about them.

Ultimately, while whole grains are more nutritious, I approach it as a carb is a carb is a carb. If I start doing fancy math to basically increase my carb consumption, I'll never stop. So every time I eat carbs, if I can make a healthy, whole-grain choice, I do. But my body still recognizes the carbs as carbs.
We are all different...I followed my Dietician orders...I found having a few visits with the dietician offered in my plan was extremely helpful to my adjustment. She recommended for me 45 carbs per breakfast, lunch, dinner 15 carbs per snack am and pm.....that is the carb limits....you can eat as much healthy meat as you want....so my carbs are mainly my side dishes....unless it's pasta night....Your Dr. or Dietician which is part of your plan at your clinic will guide you based on your individual needs, weight, age, etc.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:20 AM

726 posts, read 985,014 times
Fresh foods, nothing from a box. Go only around the store along the walls. All the food in the middle is mass produced and

full of hidden "things". There are so many books , You Tube topics for any kind of diet. Lookup Dr.Berg, he is very

informative and a pleasure to watch/listen.

As for your title' about Onions: one of my interests. The sweet onion, has very thin skin and usually in a bag. They used

to come out in the spring , but now you can usually find all year round. They are so sweet you could eat like an apple.

Where as Red onions have a very peppery taste, and are too strong for some. The trick is to slice them as thin as possible,

like they do in the delis. Just one other thing about onions and the whole family, leeks and garlic's, they are very good for

your heart and have a lot sulfur, a nonmetallic element active against parasites and fungi.

You have good advise about using a veggies in place of pasta, look for special bread made for diabetes'.

if she changes to a diet of mostly dark greens with lots of other fresh goodies with just a few drops of balsamic vinegar,

as her main meal and a grilled 3oz of chicken breast,stake,fish or grilled veggies. WOW! there is so much healthy food to

eat!

I wish you luck, these kings of changes aren't easy, but ask yourself, would I rather pay more at the store or shall I give

my money to the DR. an d Big Pham.

At any rate if she does it all the way, she'll have rid herself of most , if not all of theses growing health problems.

Cutting out carbs is as hard as giving up any Drug, because it is addictive. And if your into the Spiritual side, it's the best

way to come face to face with your "EGO" and the fight it will put up.

Wishing you the best.....

Old 02-09-2019, 09:21 AM

132 posts, read 49,407 times
Default Lay off grains for a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post

The thing I really want to try is more whole foods - whole grains, less processed or refined stuff - and a bit of a shift to more plant-based entrees. I am not vegan, nor am I likely ever to be, but I think there would be some serious benefits in eating at least some vegan meals, and not only for her.
You could reverse diabetes if the person stops using carbs as fuel for body. Use fats and protein in moderation.

Be careful and do your changes gradually- she may need to do her insulin adjustment, otherwise she may end up in low blood sugar situation- diabetic shakes and coma.
Replacing refined grains has its own set of issues.
Brown rice could be high in arsenic- due to the facts that the soil may contain it and rice takes it in ( white rice is polished and the outer layer with arsenic is mostly removed.

The best would be to ditch the grains all together- just due to the way the grains are produced- google” round-up ready” grains.

However, considering her age- take it down a notch- sorry to say, but you won’t create a new able body person. We, the people just die, nobody lives forever.

She does not need to replace a white bread with” healthier” bread: make her light, easily digestible meals, like meat based soup with veggies, scrambled eggs with wild salmon or small amounts of uncured ham or ground sausage, baked chicken ( with skin) or fish filet accompanied by low glycemic index vegetable and maybe a quarter of a potato- due to her still taking her insulin.
Your biggest challenge should be managing her insulin reduction if you want her to eat healthier.
Talk to her doctor first.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:03 AM

5,810 posts, read 4,640,748 times
Are you ultimately responsible for her health? Does she pay you to cook?

If not, i would just let her do what she wants and then send her off to her family or a home to look after her.

She is an adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink