U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:01 AM

11,808 posts, read 3,305,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Or you'd come to the realization that food isn't so important and you want to live.
Repped.

The goal here is both quality and quantity of life. I can understand the "eff it, I'll eat what I want" attitude when a person is terminally ill. My housemate is not. She won't live forever - no one does - but if a few changes can help her feel better and enjoy life more, why not try to make them?

This isn't about draining all the joy from eating, it's about making tasty meals that help ensure you live to have another tasty meal tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:13 AM

3 posts, read 123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Disclaimer: Please forgive me if this should be in another forum. It's certainly health-related, but my ultimate question is one of palatability, so I've come here because I know you all love tasty food.

I have an elderly housemate, for whom I cook. She has numerous health issues, including high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes. She recently had a mini-stroke, and we are going to have to make some changes around here, when it comes to food.

Rant first: She tends to take an "all-or-nothing" approach to healthier eating, wanting to eliminate virtually all carbs one moment, snacking on cookies, cake, and candy the next. For example, she frets about the sugar and fat in Greek yogurt topped with fresh fruit, then has an egg and sausage biscuit for breakfast instead, and follows it up with whatever sugary snack someone has brought to the parish hall on the days she has Bible study. When she does try to change her diet, she attempts to cut out carbs altogether, and speaks dispairingly of never having pizza or pasta again.

I know what to do, and how to prepare healthy meals, and that there is probably nothing at all she must give up entirely. My question is, what are good substitutes for some of the ingredients we both love? I think the starting point needs to be dairy. Not interested in skim milk, as we both hate it, but can anyone suggest specific non-dairy milks for specific uses? One might be good on cold cereal, another might make the best creamy soup, right? I'd like to find a couple of things I can use every day, reserving some of the dairy items we don't want to sacrifice as a special treat.

Next on the list would probably be the bread/pasta thing. Can anyone suggest whole-grain breads or pastas that have a taste/texture similar to the white stuff? I'm trying to use more whole-grain blends, like pilafs, as side dishes, too, with mixed results. Also, does anyone get good results with veggie noodles?

I suspect a lot of this is going to depend on acquiring some new tastes, but any is appreciated.
Healthy eating is not about strict dietary limitations, staying unrealistically thin, or depriving yourself of the foods you love. Rather, it’s about feeling great, having more energy, improving your health, and boosting your mood. If you feel overwhelmed by all the conflicting nutrition and diet advice out there, you’re not alone. It seems that for every expert who tells you a certain food is good for you, you’ll find another saying exactly the opposite. But by using these simple tips, you can cut through the confusion and learn how to create—and stick to—a tasty, varied, and nutritious diet that is as good for your mind as it is for your body.

Thank you.

Old Yesterday, 04:20 AM

3 posts, read 123 times
Default Why are balance exercises so important?

Why are balance exercises so important?

Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM

7,595 posts, read 5,605,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsson View Post
Why are balance exercises so important?
Because its one of those things that can help stave off a fall that makes an elderly person go from "she still gets around" to "she's at the rest home now..."

Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM

35,725 posts, read 13,649,690 times
When the dietician showed me the plate method, it was an "ah ha" moment.

Diabetes Plate Method:
- half the plate with non-starchy vegetables
- one quarter of plate with whole grain or starchy foods
- one quarter of plate with lean protein foods.

Fruit and low-fat dairy on the side, as your meal plan and calorie needs allow.

That way you focus on the non-starchy vegetables and the protein, plus some whole grains with fruit on the side, so that the treats become a small part of your eating plan.

Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM

912 posts, read 445,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
To be honest, I am at least as concerned about her cholesterol as her sugar. Those breakfast biscuits have 40% of the RDA for cholesterol, and lots of salt, too. Forty. Percent. That's just nuts, IMO. Interestingly, they are also relatively low in carbs, at least for an entire meal, and all of those are from white flour, which makes me wonder if that's why she has such a strong inclination to binge on sweets at her morning church functions. A cup of yogurt with fresh fruit and a little granola, or maybe one of those baked avocado/egg things with a slice of whole-grain toast and a handful of berries both sound like better choices to me.

One thing I know for sure is that I am banishing most, if not all, canned soups, particularly condensed ones, from the pantry. Too much sugar, too much salt, they don't taste very good, and anyway, why deprive myself of one of my greatest kitchen pleasures - a lovely pot of homemade soup, simmering away on the stove?
The homemade soup sounds great.

I can tell you what it's like to have wonky blood sugar. You eat too many carbs and your blood sugar goes way up. The insulin from your pancreas knocks it down too low and makes you hungry enough to eat the carpet. That's why your roommate hoovers up sweets at church: she's eating biscuits for breakfast, her blood sugar goes up, and by the time church is over, it's tanked and she's hungry. And I'm afraid a breakfast a yogurt, fruit, granola and toast is going to be just as bad: it's all carbohydrate. Eggs and avocado are much better; she might be able to tolerate full-fat, no-sugar yogurt with a few berries. The only way to know is for her to test her blood sugar before and then one hour after meals.

A low-carb diet normalizes cholesterol. (Nobody is suggesting a no-carb diet.) In particular, it reduces triglycerides. That's common experience; it was my experience as well. Most of the cholesterol in your body is made by your liver. Eat less cholesterol, and your liver makes more. If this sounds counterintuitive, look up "vegan with high cholesterol." All of their cholesterol is being made by their livers.

Salt is a necessary nutrient, and too little of it can lead to sugar cravings and feeling light-headed. Some people are sensitive to salt and should avoid eating too much; the rest of us can relax. If your roommate reduces her carb intake, she'll need to eat more salt, since a lot of salt passes out of your body at the beginning of a low-carb diet.

Old Today, 09:29 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,055,821 times
Re: "Next on the list would probably be the bread/pasta thing. Can anyone suggest whole-grain breads or pastas that have a taste/texture similar to the white stuff? I'm trying to use more whole-grain blends, like pilafs, as side dishes, too, with mixed results. Also, does anyone get good results with veggie noodles?"

Most whole wheat pastas are ok if you put a yummy red sauce on them.

I heard that the only reason the regular pasta is bad for you, is the American style of cooking it. If you cook it al dente it is not as high in glucose. Never verified that but seems possible. I love it al dente anyway. Wait I see this. My Sicilian mama taught me right.

" Pasta that is cooked al dente has a lower glycemic index than pasta that is cooked soft."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink