Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 11:22 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Are you ultimately responsible for her health? Does she pay you to cook?

If not, i would just let her do what she wants and then send her off to her family or a home to look after her.

She is an adult.
Boy, aren't you a gem? Thank goodness there are people like the OP in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 12:03 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Boy, aren't you a gem? Thank goodness there are people like the OP in the world.
I was wondering if anyone would say something.

I would really like the backstory to this. She is stressing herself out. And that is not right.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:16 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Quote:

I would really like the backstory to this. She is stressing herself out. And that is not right.
She describes it as a 'housemate for whom she cooks' and she's here seeking help with making changes to both their diets. To me that indicates some sort of relationship or reciprocal agreement, not a situation that she wants to get away from.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:32 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
You could reverse diabetes if the person stops using carbs as fuel for body. Use fats and protein in moderation.

Be careful and do your changes gradually- she may need to do her insulin adjustment, otherwise she may end up in low blood sugar situation- diabetic shakes and coma.
Replacing refined grains has its own set of issues.
Brown rice could be high in arsenic- due to the facts that the soil may contain it and rice takes it in ( white rice is polished and the outer layer with arsenic is mostly removed.

The best would be to ditch the grains all together- just due to the way the grains are produced- google” round-up ready” grains.

However, considering her age- take it down a notch- sorry to say, but you won’t create a new able body person. We, the people just die, nobody lives forever.

She does not need to replace a white bread with” healthier” bread: make her light, easily digestible meals, like meat based soup with veggies, scrambled eggs with wild salmon or small amounts of uncured ham or ground sausage, baked chicken ( with skin) or fish filet accompanied by low glycemic index vegetable and maybe a quarter of a potato- due to her still taking her insulin.
Your biggest challenge should be managing her insulin reduction if you want her to eat healthier.
Talk to her doctor first.
She is not on insulin, and in the past (within the last year or two), her doctor has told her she could probably stop the diabetes medicine she does take if she improved her eating habits. I think one thing I'm going to help her do is to keep a food diary, including blood sugar levels so I can get a better handle on what's going on. Her sugar doesn't always respond the way I would expect - it seems relatively unaffected by "bad" foods sometimes, and at others, it will be a bit high for what she's eaten.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:

The backstory is none of your business. I am not stressing myself out, I am helping someone who has helped (and continues to help) me, and that's all you need to know.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
She describes it as a 'housemate for whom she cooks' and she's here seeking help with making changes to both their diets. To me that indicates some sort of relationship or reciprocal agreement, not a situation that she wants to get away from.
Bingo. My parents are both gone, and I was an only child. She is the closest thing to family that I have, and we take care of each other. I am not being ill-used in any way whatsoever.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:07 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
The backstory is none of your business. I am not stressing myself out, I am helping someone who has helped (and continues to help) me, and that's all you need to know.
Good luck 🍀👍

Old 02-09-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Good luck 🍀👍
Thank you, I think.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:26 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Dreamfields makes a higher fiber lower carb pasta that doesn’t have that awful wheat taste. I’ve kicked brown rice to the curb too and eat mostly wild, basmati, and jasmine fortifying with beans. Personally i subscribe to the tree section plate from childhood the half is for veggies, the two quarters are for protein and starch.

I’m not diabetic but I’ve found that eliminating sweets makes things worse. I give myself one or two sweet treats a day, small servings not more than 150 cals per.

There are a lot of really yummy light meat dishes. Someone recommended man pleasing chicken and omg it’s awesome google it.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:23 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Someone recommended man pleasing chicken and omg it’s awesome google it.
Here it is!! It's my favorite!

Man-Pleasing Chicken | Witty in the City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink