U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM

17,160 posts, read 20,225,252 times

Advertisements

I see veal parmigano at Italian restaurants by me. But I don't go to chain restaurants. Now last night my DH had a grilled veal chop that was so scrumptious at this restaurant we ate last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

59 posts, read 7,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Make it at home. Isn't different than any other breaded piece of meat or fish. Same technique.
Exactly! I prepare veal about once a month. Sometimes I top it with broccoli rabe and extra sharp provolone, sometimes I 'parm' it.

Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

20,660 posts, read 29,155,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Maybe people are more aware now of the cruelty involved with veal. And that's a good thing.
That's changing thanks to customer demand for humanely-raised product. I've been buying the Strauss brand of Veal for awhile due to their raising practices, which is now no different to how pasture-raised beef, pork and chicken is raised as well. You can find Strauss Veal at Whole Foods Market and Publix.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/13/d...e-methods.html

Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM

13,629 posts, read 24,696,638 times
I don't even know where to find veal anymore and it's probably too expensive. I know it's not at my local grocery store.

Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,247,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Years ago after reading how the expensive pale looking veal came to be like that I never touched it again.
My first taste of veal was my first big date with DH. I ordered veal cordon bleu and it came on a bed of wild rice with a perfect mushroom sauce. It was heavenly. After that I ordered it several times more. I remember being out with my aunt and uncle and ordering veal and hearing my aunt say, "OMG, she ordered veal" and not understanding what was wrong with that.

So I did a little research and when I found out how veal was raised I never ate another piece. Such a sacrifice for whatever good it does.

Don't anyone start in about any of my other favorites. Ignorance is bliss.

Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

6,199 posts, read 3,324,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Yes, butís itís pretty easy to come up with a very tasty chicken parmigiana if you carefully pound it and cook it properly and prevent it from drying out. It would be a real good runner up to veal parm since chicken is usually a little more tender.

Although Iíve noticed that veal does have a little stronger texture so itís excellent for using it to make a rollatini, stuffed with some cheese, spices in a brown mushroom sauce.
What tastes better than that in a good Italian restaurant❓❓
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I am afraid that this might be off topic so I will keep it short. For schnitzel, pound the meat thin, then dip in beaten egg with a tablespoon or two of mustard mixed in, then dip in flour salt and pepper and fry quickly in oil. If you don't know how to make gravy buy Knorr Hunter Sauce Mix (Jaeger Sosse) You should be able to find it in a local grocery store but if not you can buy it on Amazon, 12 packs for about $1.10 each. Or just follow one of the dozens of recipes online. I serve it over a bed of red cabbage (I get it at the Russian deli) and serve with Spaetzle.
Yes, thank you. I can knock out a pretty decent Italian chicken or veal. It's those German flavors that elude me, esp for something so simple. Maybe I need some good German bier to think it over.

Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM

4,383 posts, read 2,323,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
We can buy veal in grocery stores here, in Texas. Available, but bit expensive.
Or order foie gras, sharks fin soup, or boiled lobster in a restaurant. Not sure about ortolans. Never heard of it outside France...

I had Wienerschnitzel in Charlottenburg (Berlin) last year. Quite popular in Germany and Poland.
People still eat it across the EU.
Lucky you, I love Wienerschnitzel!

Of course, just like you had Wienerschnitzel in Berlin, and one can get Schweineschnitzel there too, but Berlin has its own special Schnitzel, which I have never had. Have you?

Berliner Schnitzel (Berlin-style cutlet) is made from cow udders (Kuheuter).

The most common Schnitzel in Germany, Schweine Schnitzel (aka Schweineschnitzel), is made with pork.
Sometimes it is called "aus Wiener Art" which means "in the style of Vienna".

Authentic Wiener Schnitzel (aka Wienerschnitzel) is made with veal.

(Now I'm getting hungry.)

Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,247,022 times
Ich bin ein Berliner Schnitzel.

Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM

20,660 posts, read 29,155,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
My first taste of veal was my first big date with DH. I ordered veal cordon bleu and it came on a bed of wild rice with a perfect mushroom sauce. It was heavenly. After that I ordered it several times more. I remember being out with my aunt and uncle and ordering veal and hearing my aunt say, "OMG, she ordered veal" and not understanding what was wrong with that.

So I did a little research and when I found out how veal was raised I never ate another piece. Such a sacrifice for whatever good it does.

Don't anyone start in about any of my other favorites. Ignorance is bliss.
Sorry, but I have to call the bluff. Do you feel the same about Lamb or Chicken given the practice you're referring to has largely been phased out?

Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM

6,181 posts, read 7,388,401 times
The local Italian place here makes Veal Scallopini but not Parm. Years ago I made it fairly regularly. I stopped when we moved, and I couldn't get good veal. I've only seen veal stew at the local butcher's, but I know they would sell me slices for Parm.

During our last visit to Boston's North End, all of the restaurants had it. I ordered it because I can't get it locally. Very good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or