U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

17,688 posts, read 22,763,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Veal is expensive because many countries banned veal crates which prevented much of the export trade. Britain banned them in 1990 and the EU in 2006. Live Animal exports are also seen as cruel by many. A couple of US States also have similar legislation in place.

Veal has joined a list of controversial foods such as foie gras, sharks fin soup, ortolans, boiled lobster etc as well as numerous protected species, and Veal is rarely on the menu in all but a few restaurants in most countries.

I personally wouldn't eat any of these foods, and try to buy free range and proper organic produce as much as possible.

I was surprised US Italian restaurant chains sold veal in the first place according to the OP, however some fine dining Italian restaurants in the US may possible still sell veal.
veal cutlets are on many menus...even in maine…

most of my stores sell veal cutlets and veal stew

lobster is a controversial food??

never heard that one...maybe from the vegans and peta ...but that's less than 5% of the population..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

14,187 posts, read 10,375,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

never heard that one...maybe from the vegans and peta ...but that's less than 5% of the population..
I think it might be the whole "boiled alive" thing.

Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,247,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sorry, but I have to call the bluff. Do you feel the same about Lamb or Chicken given the practice you're referring to has largely been phased out?
No bluff. Is it true that they no longer raise veal that way? I haven't given it a second thought since I decided it was off limits to me.

I don't eat lamb and don't get me started about chickens. One Easter Dad brought me home a baby chick. I loved that little birdie. Soon there were five more. Then the number was forty! Little did my tender heart guess what was in store for my pets.

Our small town had a dog pound that no one used. The dogs ran free and everyone knew whose they were and their names. So Dad asked someone if he could use the pound to put the chickens in. It was basically a fenced in grassy area with shelter.

I'd go down every day and call them to come eat. The original six had names and would sit in my lap to be petted.

I won't talk about the inevitable but to say that I witnessed carnage and Sunday dinners were tough for me for a long time. I never could understand why my dad, being generally a good-hearted man, didn't think to save the six for me.

But he was of a different era and mind-set and while those chickens lived they lived good lives.

Since I am still a moderate meat eater I recognize the cognitive dissonance and live with it. But some kinds of cruelty certainly affect my decisions more than others. Like my dad would have said, "Yeah, it ain't easy."

Not even for animals.

Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,247,022 times
Quote:

LOL Reminds me of lunching with a friend who didn't eat meat. She had told me she could never eat anything with a face. That day she ordered whole lobster and it lay there looking at me with its beady eyes all through the meal.

I wanted to ask, "What the heck do you think that is on the end opposite the tail, anyway?"

Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM

11,766 posts, read 7,004,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sorry, but I have to call the bluff. Do you feel the same about Lamb or Chicken given the practice you're referring to has largely been phased out?
Could you provide some information to back this up? Seems like the living conditions for the calves are still poor.

Old Today, 12:12 AM

6,299 posts, read 3,514,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I noticed that some restaurants replaced veal with pork and still call it Veal Parmigiana...
Please explain the how and why of that. It has to be illegal.

Old Today, 12:19 AM

34,851 posts, read 53,413,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Please explain the how and why of that. It has to be illegal.
Well. They keep the name, but also explained that's a breaded pork cuttlet. So, no crime there. Otherwise I would be first to set them straight.
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Today, 12:24 AM

6,299 posts, read 3,514,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well. They keep the name, but also explained that's a breaded pork cuttlet. So, no crime there. Otherwise I would be first to set them straight.
You mean...

"VEAL PARMIGIANA (made with pork) with linguini and marinara...$23.95"

Really? Where is this?

Old Today, 03:27 AM

917 posts, read 1,360,686 times
I used to like to eat veal parmigiana as a kid but when I found out how veal was made I immediately stopped. I realize most of us are omnivores and there's nothing wrong with killing animals for food but I don't want to buy meat where the animal is made to suffer unnecessarily.

Old Today, 04:36 AM

9,863 posts, read 3,362,285 times
Quote:

I said such foods were controversial, and they are, in terms of Lobster it is how it is killed that raises the controversy.

Whilst some legislation is in place in many parts of Europe, whether you eat such foods is often down to your own personal views.

In terms of Veal, home grown Rose Veal is more ethical than live calfs shipped in crates which is largely banned, however veal isn't popular where I live and accounts for just 0.1% of the meat with fewer than one in 100 households consuming it.

Foie gras is not produced in many western nations, indeed it would be illegal to produce under animal welfare laws due to the welfare problems associated.

It really depends on the country, and their laws as well as the values held by much of the population.

Last edited by Brave New World; Today at 04:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or