U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM

4,925 posts, read 7,498,029 times

Advertisements

I have been noticing that many Italian chain restaurants have stopped serving veal parmigiana (Olive Garden dropped it many years back, and more recently Buca di Beppo has dropped it). I'm guessing low sales and the high price of veal could be to blame. Could this be a sign that veal parmigiana could be on its way out? Veal parmigiana has historically been in the shadow of its more popular cousins eggplant parmigiana and chicken parmigiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM

17,680 posts, read 22,758,015 times
always a little pricey for me...veal is very mild tastes a bit like chicken or pork for double the price..

I will say I sell 3x as much veal stew as I did 10 yrs ago ...could be because the cost is down … to 4.99lb

Old Today, 04:10 AM

9,847 posts, read 3,357,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I have been noticing that many Italian chain restaurants have stopped serving veal parmigiana (Olive Garden dropped it many years back, and more recently Buca di Beppo has dropped it). I'm guessing low sales and the high price of veal could be to blame. Could this be a sign that veal parmigiana could be on its way out? Veal parmigiana has historically been in the shadow of its more popular cousins eggplant parmigiana and chicken parmigiana.
Cost factors are extremely important in terms of quick service ot fast casual restaurants, and they rely on not being too expensive.

More traditional Italian restaurants and find dining establishments will still be serving Veal parmigiana.

Last edited by Brave New World; Today at 04:53 AM..

Old Today, 04:28 AM

34,840 posts, read 53,396,715 times
I noticed that some restaurants replaced veal with pork and still call it Veal Parmigiana...
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Today, 05:14 AM

9,847 posts, read 3,357,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I noticed that some restaurants replaced veal with pork and still call it Veal Parmigiana...
Veal is expensive because many countries banned veal crates which prevented much of the export trade. Britain banned them in 1990 and the EU in 2006. Live Animal exports are also seen as cruel by many. A couple of US States also have similar legislation in place.

Veal has joined a list of controversial foods such as foie gras, sharks fin soup, ortolans, boiled lobster etc as well as numerous protected species, and Veal is rarely on the menu in all but a few restaurants in most countries.

I personally wouldn't eat any of these foods, and try to buy free range and proper organic produce as much as possible.

I was surprised US Italian restaurant chains sold veal in the first place according to the OP, however some fine dining Italian restaurants in the US may possible still sell veal.

Last edited by Brave New World; Today at 05:39 AM..

Old Today, 06:34 AM

We can buy veal in grocery stores here, in Texas. Available, but bit expensive.
Or order foie gras, sharks fin soup, or boiled lobster in a restaurant. Not sure about ortolans. Never heard of it outside France...

I had Wienerschnitzel in Charlottenburg (Berlin) last year. Quite popular in Germany and Poland.
People still eat it across the EU.
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Last edited by elnina; Today at 06:59 AM..

Old Today, 07:04 AM

959 posts, read 357,757 times
Quote:
Or order foie gras, sharks fin soup, or boiled lobster in a restaurant. Not sure about ortolans. Never heard of it outside France...

I had Wienerschnitzel in Charlottenburg (Berlin) last year. Quite popular in Germany and Poland.
Wienerschnitzel is a really good dish, that wit red cabbage and potato pancakes or spaetzle.

Unfortunately where we are in Virginia, there are no German restaurants at all!

Old Today, 07:23 AM

8,591 posts, read 4,305,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Wienerschnitzel is a really good dish, that wit red cabbage and potato pancakes or spaetzle.

Where are you in Virginia? If youíre anywhere near Madison or Fredericksburg, go to the Bavarian Chef (I prefer the Madison location personally). Itís even worth a road trip!

Old Today, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post

Make it at home. Isn't different than any other breaded piece of meat or fish. Same technique.

Old Today, 07:29 AM

8,591 posts, read 4,305,075 times
Quote:
Possession or sale of shark fin is illegal in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or