U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM

14,176 posts, read 10,375,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Pretty sure some recipes were created out of starvation. Nobody said, "Hey, let's see how this snail tastes with butter and garlic" for any reason except that there wasn't anything else to eat.
That's why it kills me when people get all wrapped up around "It's not TraDITIONal!" Lol Who cares? They made it because it tasted good. If you find a way to make it taste BETTER, then GO for it! What else is the point?? lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:12 AM

916 posts, read 1,360,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
That's why it kills me when people get all wrapped up around "It's not TraDITIONal!" Lol Who cares? They made it because it tasted good. If you find a way to make it taste BETTER, then GO for it! What else is the point?? lol...
Same here. Same with the word "authentic". I really don't care as long as it tastes good and to a lesser extent I worry about how healthy or unhealthy it is. I've been to China and tasted "authentic" Chinese food there and to me Americanized Chinese food taste better. That's just my own subjective opinion but I do know that being authentic or traditional isn't going to be a factor on whether I like the food or not.

Old Today, 04:11 AM

11,780 posts, read 3,297,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Same here. Same with the word "authentic". I really don't care as long as it tastes good and to a lesser extent I worry about how healthy or unhealthy it is. I've been to China and tasted "authentic" Chinese food there and to me Americanized Chinese food taste better. That's just my own subjective opinion but I do know that being authentic or traditional isn't going to be a factor on whether I like the food or not.
I enjoy some Americanized Chinese food, and some of our "Chinese" is unlikely to be found anywhere in that country. That's fine. What I do not like is the fact that some places use waaaaayyy too much sugar, particularly in dishes that are supposed to be spicy-hot. Interestingly, the worst offenders seem to be restaurants that have two menus: one authentic and one Americanized. I always stick to the authentic stuff in such establishments.

Leftovers on pizza? I guess it depends on what. A little leftover chicken or sausage, sure. Cooked vegetables, not so much. I think they'd be cooked to mush by the time the pizza was done.

Old Today, 07:22 AM

53,091 posts, read 52,217,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I enjoy some Americanized Chinese food, and some of our "Chinese" is unlikely to be found anywhere in that country. That's fine. What I do not like is the fact that some places use waaaaayyy too much sugar, particularly in dishes that are supposed to be spicy-hot. Interestingly, the worst offenders seem to be restaurants that have two menus: one authentic and one Americanized. I always stick to the authentic stuff in such establishments.

Leftovers on pizza? I guess it depends on what. A little leftover chicken or sausage, sure. Cooked vegetables, not so much. I think they'd be cooked to mush by the time the pizza was done.
I don't like the sugary Chinese food, either. I came to realize after ordering a few things that the place nearest me, which a friend of mine loves, has a base of non-Chinese mixed vegetables, like green peppers and carrots and those mini ears of corn, and then they just throw whatever else you ordered on top. So if you are having chicken, you get chicken with that vegetable mix. If you order shrimp, you get shrimp with that same vegetable mix. I like kung pao chicken or shrimp, which is supposed to be mainly peanuts and little dried hot peppers, but when I ordered it there, I got that vegetable mix with a few peanuts thrown in and some hot sauce sprinkled on it. It all pretty much tastes the same no matter what you order.

Now how did I get there in a thread about pizza? LOL.

Throw the Chinese veget mix on the pizza!

Old Today, 08:35 AM

41 posts, read 7,859 times
Leftovers can be used on pizza, in soups and stews, and in omelets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink