U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 09:45 AM

10,144 posts, read 8,078,376 times

Advertisements

Wheat Thins claim to be using the original recipe now - at least for the plain variety. That's great for me and others with soy allergies - soy is found in an overwhelming number of commercially made and marketed crackers, but now, Wheat Thins originals are soy-free!

As for the taste, they seem a little dryer than previously, perhaps due to the use of canola oil rather than soybean oil. Adding a little cheese takes care of that. Otherwise, the taste is as I remember it from childhood.

Side note: I remember when Wheat Thins were introduced, back in the mid '50s. I was with my parents in a Safeway in the Washington, D.C. area, and free samples of Wheat Thins and Hawaiian Punch, also new, were offered. I liked them both, so my parents bought a box of Wheat Thins and a large can of Hawaiian Punch (not sure it's still available in cans). Delicious! Or so I thought, at age nine or ten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 06:52 AM

7,565 posts, read 4,125,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I remember Sociables, which had poppy seeds in them. My grandma liked to get them for the hors d'oeuvres after Christmas Eve service, to be served with little tubs of Merkt's or Kaukana spreadable port wine cheese. Fancy, upper Midwest style!
Well, I ALMOST remembered those accurately... Thanks!

Old 02-27-2019, 10:09 AM

15,170 posts, read 17,179,636 times
I hadn't had Wheat Thins in many, many years (20+) until I spent some time at an Airbnb a couple of weeks ago that provided some in the pantry.

I ended up nibbling on them on and off for a week. They tasted ok, but I don't remember them being so sweet. Almost sugary. Not quite at the dessert level of sweetness, but definitely a sweet, sugary taste.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:44 PM

14,879 posts, read 30,460,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I hadn't had Wheat Thins in many, many years (20+) until I spent some time at an Airbnb a couple of weeks ago that provided some in the pantry.

I ended up nibbling on them on and off for a week. They tasted ok, but I don't remember them being so sweet. Almost sugary. Not quite at the dessert level of sweetness, but definitely a sweet, sugary taste.
They use to taste like pie crust to me. I don't eat crackers anymore, I don't really like them now to be honest.

Old Yesterday, 12:56 AM

956 posts, read 1,736,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I quit buying the Wheat Thins and the Triscuits since I can buy the ALDI equivalents for about half the price and they are quite good. Tomorrow's snack will be slices of bleu cheese on ALDI Woven Wheat Crackers and apple wedges.
I must be one of those few with Aldi phobia, due to the fact that years ago the damage was done to me, and I became super skeptical of Aldi food items due to all the times I ate things at a friend's house that were from Aldi, and too often that food sucked. I've had some things in more recent years from Aldi that were not as terrible and actually were surprisingly good(i.e. some sort of salmon), so maybe it's time I give them another shot and end my quiet boycott I had against Aldi items for so many years? I think eventually I'll give them new shots, and see if their food items have actually improved, vs. my memories of Aldi items too often not being good years ago. I want to like them, and maybe someday I'll develop an appreciation for Aldi? Not there yet, though.

Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

13,985 posts, read 23,458,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I must be one of those few with Aldi phobia, due to the fact that years ago the damage was done to me, and I became super skeptical of Aldi food items due to all the times I ate things at a friend's house that were from Aldi, and too often that food sucked. I've had some things in more recent years from Aldi that were not as terrible and actually were surprisingly good(i.e. some sort of salmon), so maybe it's time I give them another shot and end my quiet boycott I had against Aldi items for so many years? I think eventually I'll give them new shots, and see if their food items have actually improved, vs. my memories of Aldi items too often not being good years ago. I want to like them, and maybe someday I'll develop an appreciation for Aldi? Not there yet, though.

I will be the first to admit that ALDI was never my favorite place to shop initially. What turned me off was that the cashiers seemed to have some pleasure at throwing things into the basket rather than placing the three items in the box that I carried it up in.

My "eureka" moment came when the DW asked me to stop and buy saltine crackers. The Jewel-Osco store brand was $2.49. I never buy those crackers but that price seemed ridiculous. I went and bought the saltines at Aldi for $0.85. I found them to be very acceptable.

ALDI generally does not appeal to the 25% of the market who wants to shop at one store for groceries, PERIOD. Generally, their selection is not broad enough to be the one stop shop. Personally, I am less than impressed with their meats.

Personally, I cannot wait until they open their stores in Phoenix later this year as my stops are limited to 2-3 times a year when I am back in the Midwest or when I head to SoCal.

Old Today, 10:47 PM

21,361 posts, read 26,558,768 times
Quote:
I will be the first to admit that ALDI was never my favorite place to shop initially. What turned me off was that the cashiers seemed to have some pleasure at throwing things into the basket rather than placing the three items in the box that I carried it up in.

My "eureka" moment came when the DW asked me to stop and buy saltine crackers. The Jewel-Osco store brand was $2.49. I never buy those crackers but that price seemed ridiculous. I went and bought the saltines at Aldi for $0.85. I found them to be very acceptable.

ALDI generally does not appeal to the 25% of the market who wants to shop at one store for groceries, PERIOD. Generally, their selection is not broad enough to be the one stop shop. Personally, I am less than impressed with their meats.

Personally, I cannot wait until they open their stores in Phoenix later this year as my stops are limited to 2-3 times a year when I am back in the Midwest or when I head to SoCal.
Aldi's main competitor in Europe arrived in the US almost 2 years ago. Try Aldi again.

Last edited by southbound_295; Today at 11:01 PM..

Old Today, 11:21 PM

13,985 posts, read 23,458,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Aldi's main competitor in Europe arrived in the US almost 2 years ago. Try Aldi again.

And LIDL has discovered, like Tesco, that opening stores in the United States in the EASY part. Family members who have been to LIDL have not really liked it. And considering that they have really cut back on their expansion plans, many agree.

Old Today, 11:33 PM

21,361 posts, read 26,558,768 times
Quote:
And LIDL has discovered, like Tesco, that opening stores in the United States in the EASY part. Family members who have been to LIDL have not really liked it. And considering that they have really cut back on their expansion plans, many agree.
I live near one of the first group of Lidls to open. They had real problems. They've been working on it.

I do most of my shopping at Aldi and Lidl. I like both. Now they're back to building and expanding again.

In the mean time, Aldi is expanding. Their inventory is expanded. It's a win/win for shoppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink