Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 11:31 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post

We live in the Phoenix area and have a large Asian supermarket called Lee Lee's a couple of miles away and there are many products you don't see in other places. Austin is likely to have a similar place, go try it out!

Lee Lee's is on;y one of the Asian grocery stores in the Phoenix area.

On Dobson Rd. is the Mekong Plaza Supermarket which focuses on Vietnamese groceries and has a lot of the Southeastern Asian specialties.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/mekong-supermarket-mesa

Mekong Supermarket
66 S Dobson Rd. Suite 117, Mesa, Arizona 85202
(480) 833-0095

In the past few months, Asiana Market has opened. It focuses largely on Korean specialties and has Arizona's best selection of Korean sliced meats as well as a very good food court.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/asiana-market-mesa

1135 S Dobson Rd
Ste 104
Mesa, AZ 85202
(480) 833-3077

The largest of the markets is AZ International Marketplace which has the largest selection of Asian and other imported foods. It has the broadest selection of fresh produce and meats.

https://www.azinternationalmarketplace.com/

1920 W Broadway Rd. Mesa, AZ 85202
(602) 633-6296
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 05:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
we eat the same vegetables all the time. variety of squashes, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, broccoli, green beans, asparagus, cabbage, onion, peppers of various colors and carrots. very occasionally we have peas, artichoke, corn, bok choy, and variety of potatoes.

I need some help from real cooks! my cooking skills are basic. everything is either steamed, grilled, or baked with simple seasonings such as garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil.

would the cooks here please suggest some vegetables we are missing out on that are tasty and simple to prepare? I'd appreciate it!
Other than Okra I can't think of many you have left off the list. It sounds like you have a good variety of healthy veggies. As to how you fix them, the only thing I can suggest is top with cheese or a sauce. But now you are adding calories. For seasoning I like to use tarragon, sometimes rosemary or thyme. WE do roast a lot of our veggies which is different from grilling them. I use a lot of lemon juice as well. Just last night we had roasted asparagus. I added garlic, sea salt, lemon zest and lemon juice plus some Olive Oil. It is probably our favorite veggy and our favorite was to fix it. Just don't over roast it.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:25 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
we tried eggplant and really liked it. I sliced thin medallions, baked with some olive oil and topped with grated cheddar cheese. eggplant is entering the veg rotation.

I also baked portabella mushrooms marinated in balsamic vinegar and soy sauce and topped with a light sprinkling of parmesan which was wonderful.

chopped raw leeks were used on our dinner salads for a few nights. the taste is better than plain onions. really liked them!

also, I've added some spices to my cooking as some have suggested.

thanks, city data cooks! really appreciated the advice you gave me in this thread.

PS. kale and fennel were gastronomical busts, however. Yuck!

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-20-2019 at 06:46 AM..

Old 02-20-2019, 07:00 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
What did you do with the fennel? I don't like it on it's own. I use it when I make bouillabaisse. I once made an Asian style spicy (not hot) pork dish with fennel. It worked with those.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:03 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
In the Yucatan they split them and throw them on the grill along with the meat. They're very good like that and look attractive on the plate, I think. That's where they also serve the whole roasted sweet onions as a vegetable.

Aaahhhh, now there's a thought. Basically a non-recipe recipe.

Somehow Yucatan doesn't come to mind when I think of leeks. Maybe too many Britishisms in my life, I always think of Wales.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
we tried eggplant and really liked it. I sliced thin medallions, baked with some olive oil and topped with grated cheddar cheese. eggplant is entering the veg rotation.

I also baked portabella mushrooms marinated in balsamic vinegar and soy sauce and topped with a light sprinkling of parmesan which was wonderful.

chopped raw leeks were used on our dinner salads for a few nights. the taste is better than plain onions. really liked them!

also, I've added some spices to my cooking as some have suggested.

thanks, city data cooks! really appreciated the advice you gave me in this thread.

PS. kale and fennel were gastronomical busts, however. Yuck!
We have tried egg plant any number of times and every way imaginable: we still can't stand it. Kale is ok. I just got some packaged Kale salad a few days ago at Aldi's. No, not our favorite but edible.
For us, Fennel is almost like a spice or ok in small amounts but no, not something I would serve as our main veggie. Mushrooms are one of my favorites but spoiled brat would just as soon give them to the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink