U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 05:39 PM

11,405 posts, read 6,528,908 times

Advertisements

we eat the same vegetables all the time. variety of squashes, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, broccoli, green beans, asparagus, cabbage, onion, peppers of various colors and carrots. very occasionally we have peas, artichoke, corn, bok choy, and variety of potatoes.

I need some help from real cooks! my cooking skills are basic. everything is either steamed, grilled, or baked with simple seasonings such as garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil.

would the cooks here please suggest some vegetables we are missing out on that are tasty and simple to prepare? I'd appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 06:19 PM

17,703 posts, read 22,774,397 times
if I must eat a veggie I will steam some broccoli and spinach leaves...….then melt butter and coconut oil together and drizzle on... melting some shredded cheese is also good

bacon wrapped broccoli makes it taste better too

Old 02-11-2019, 07:46 PM

6,185 posts, read 7,395,066 times
I notice carrots missing from your list. I like to roast them with a bit of grated ginger, garlic and butter. We don't eat a lot of spinach except in a soup or salad, but I do sometimes saute it with a bit of olive oil, some lemon juice and garlic. If I have mushrooms I might toss a few of those in there.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:48 PM

3,074 posts, read 6,805,766 times
Sometimes simple with veggies is what works best.

In the winter I roast on high heat with salt, pepper and olive oil and in the summer pretty much the same thing on the grill. I do like to add to the mix you have, arugula, sun chokes, and parsnips. Sometimes I'll puree the cauliflower, sauté snow peas in sesame oil and harissa, throw cooked carrots in the blender with ginger and curry powder for a sauce. Roasted or grilled mushrooms is another big hit.

Last edited by Dogmama50; 02-11-2019 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: forgot

Old 02-11-2019, 08:09 PM

5,714 posts, read 3,253,245 times
Have you ever roasted sweet onions? My family loves them. Peel them and score the top, salt and pepper, baste with butter and roast in an oven proof dish with a little broth in the bottom of the pan.

I make a scalloped corn casserole with some shredded Swiss cheese in it that everyone likes.

Stir-fry an assortment of sweet peppers, onion slices and sliced button mushrooms. You can serve this as a side or on top of the meat.

Make a calico bean casserole. This is a colorful and tasty way to stretch meat and get lots of protein.

I like to stir-fry zucchini and summer squash coins and serve them with a little Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning on top. This adds some color to a meal.

Stir frozen baby peas, a little lemon zest and some cracked pepper into your rice before serving. This is a bright-tasting dish and goes well with teriyaki or fish.

Saute finely chopped favorite veggies a bit and roll them in egg roll wrappers to fry and serve with a cheese sauce.

In the summer give your family raw veggie kabobs with a salad or sandwich. If you like marinate them first in your favorite Italian dressing.

Cut tomato "roses" and nestle in a few mozzarella balls and basil leaves. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil for an attractive salad.

If you like cooked cabbage you may also like rutabaga which is similar to a large turnip. Peel and slice and boil in a little sugar water until tender. Drain and mash with butter.

Do you ever make a cream sauce for your vegetables? Cabbage done this way with buttered cracker crumbs on top turns a humble veggie into something a little more special.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:06 PM

2,894 posts, read 1,112,936 times
Anyone who loves veggies should get an Indian vegetarian cookbook. See if your library has an Indian cookbook with a vegetable section even. They'll give you some great ideas.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:39 PM

8,062 posts, read 3,210,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
we eat the same vegetables all the time. variety of squashes, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, broccoli, green beans, asparagus, cabbage, onion, peppers of various colors and carrots. very occasionally we have peas, artichoke, corn, bok choy, and variety of potatoes.

I need some help from real cooks! my cooking skills are basic. everything is either steamed, grilled, or baked with simple seasonings such as garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil.

would the cooks here please suggest some vegetables we are missing out on that are tasty and simple to prepare? I'd appreciate it!
Walk through Central Market and Whole foods and see if anything appeals to you that you aren't already eating.

Honestly, the only things I don't see here on your list that's common is eggplant or any lettuces or greens like kale, spinach, or turnip greens.

I would cut corn. I don't think humans are really supposed to eat that.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:50 PM

21,385 posts, read 22,563,603 times
It looks like you eat a variety of veggies...perhaps just expand your methods of preparing them?

Old 02-11-2019, 10:54 PM

23,716 posts, read 22,674,098 times
Yes, as ClaraC mentioned, you could add some leafy greens. Other than the eggplant, the only thing I can think of at the moment are root vegetables like beets and parsnips. Okra?

Old 02-11-2019, 11:05 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,390,422 times
How about collard greens, kale, I usually julienne them and either steam or sauté with garlic.
We love puré celeriac. Plus we eat a lot of aragula, Belgian endive, fennel, frisée salad, etc.. you can eat them raw or slightly sautéed them with oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or