Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 01:03 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
how about a serrated electric knife, like for carving turkeys.

I tried that once with an older model GE electric carving knife and it destroyed the knife blades and nearly burned out the motor. The ice broke the serrations right off the blades. It was structurally not strong enough to bear up under a lot of pressure or effort either. Most electric carving knives for ordinary household use are designed to effortlessly slice without sawing through soft stuff only, not rock hard stuff. I don't know what a newer, more modern electric knife or industrial electric knife would be like but I don't think I'd want to risk having to replace the blades.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 01:07 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
So, I moved away from home (Philadelphia) almost 30 years ago.

And other than a few visits, I have not had any Scrapple for a very long time.

So I created a thread asking who sells it in my area... I finally found some - the exact brand too; however it is sold in a 1 pound block that is frozen solid. Folks, this block of food is so hard it is as if it had been in deep space for the past 20 years.

The label says to keep frozen, but I was hoping I would be able to slice off and cook a little each day.

Right now the only way I see to cook it is to actually let it thaw and cook it all at the same time, putting the uneaten portions in the fridge and eating a little every morning.

Is there another way?

I am assuming that thawing, cutting and then re-freezing is not a good idea safety wise, and I don't like the idea of cutting it on my table saw (maybe if I had my band saw), anyway, do you believe I should strictly obey the "keep frozen" notice, or is thawing in the fridge, cutting, and then refreezing permitted?
I'm confused - the title refers to food, the description refers to scrapple.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:18 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,655,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
So, I moved away from home (Philadelphia) almost 30 years ago.

And other than a few visits, I have not had any Scrapple for a very long time.

So I created a thread asking who sells it in my area... I finally found some - the exact brand too; however it is sold in a 1 pound block that is frozen solid. Folks, this block of food is so hard it is as if it had been in deep space for the past 20 years.

The label says to keep frozen, but I was hoping I would be able to slice off and cook a little each day.

Right now the only way I see to cook it is to actually let it thaw and cook it all at the same time, putting the uneaten portions in the fridge and eating a little every morning.

Is there another way?

I am assuming that thawing, cutting and then re-freezing is not a good idea safety wise, and I don't like the idea of cutting it on my table saw (maybe if I had my band saw), anyway, do you believe I should strictly obey the "keep frozen" notice, or is thawing in the fridge, cutting, and then refreezing permitted?

Let it almost, but not quite, thaw in the fridge. It will be easier to slice and then you can refreeze the portions with little loss in quality. Instead of cutting it into one day portions, cut it into several days worth that can be thawed and eaten in smaller portions before it would go bad in the fridge. Less cutting and rewrapping that way.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:44 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,757,354 times
If you want slices you may have to go with the circular saw! My first thought would be grating it while it's still frozen.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:22 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,072 times
Sawzall, end of story. Please no paranoid people need reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink