U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 05:00 PM

323 posts, read 148,317 times

Advertisements

I love an excellent steak. I only eat grass-fed steaks, either rib-eye or New York. On special occasions, I'll get the tender dry-aged prime ribs (grass-fed), and it's expensive. I recently tried a new way (shown by a friend of mine) to achieve such a tender steak like the dry-aged one. I soaked the steak on papaya juice (I bought the green papaya from the Asian market, and juice it myself (you can buy papaya juice at some supermarket too) for 15 minutes, after leave it out to room temperature (about 45' to an hour). Then, I seasoned it in a big ziplock for 30' as I usually do (rub kosher salt and steak seasoning to it then in a mixture of some apple cider vinegar/soy sauce/ olive oil). The steaks come out much tender than without the papaya juice soaking. I read more on that, and it said papaya juice has an enzyme that breaks down protein, so it makes it tender and more easily digestible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 05:05 PM

3,496 posts, read 912,582 times
I use McCormicks meat tenderizer with good effect. It does not contain salt. Spread on meat and leave for an hour or so.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:49 PM

36,054 posts, read 44,209,789 times
If I spend the money for steak, I do not expect to need to tenderize it. You learn where to buy it and what to expect. I will say that I bought some top sirloin from Publix, usually reliable, and was disappointed at the result. I won’t make that mistake again.

We have a Food Lion here, which has Managers Specials. I watch for them, and their meat is always good. I also like Sam’s Club meat...it hasn’t ever disappointed me.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:17 PM

17,808 posts, read 22,859,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If I spend the money for steak, I do not expect to need to tenderize it. You learn where to buy it and what to expect. I will say that I bought some top sirloin from Publix, usually reliable, and was disappointed at the result. I wonít make that mistake again.

We have a Food Lion here, which has Managers Specials. I watch for them, and their meat is always good. I also like Samís Club meat...it hasnít ever disappointed me.
food lion ...I hear good things.... keep shopping there ( I have stocks in their parent company

Old 02-22-2019, 08:03 PM

996 posts, read 573,926 times
go to your local butcher shop..buy rib eyes with lots of marbling (..let it come up to room temp..put on hot grill (400*)..cook for 2 minutes, turn 45* for crosshatch grill marks for another 2 minutes..flip steak do same thing..take off grill let set for 10 minutes..eat..

Old 02-22-2019, 08:32 PM

3,098 posts, read 6,834,956 times
My go to is soy sauce, horseradish, dijon and some sambal if you want spice. Put it in a ziplock add steaks and let them sit for at least a couple hours.

Frankly if they weren't as expected I would bring them back to the store as our resident meat guru (mainebrokerman) suggested.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:44 PM

23,852 posts, read 22,802,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
What I said.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:49 AM

8,134 posts, read 2,598,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Okay, first I did Google it, but all I could find were articles about tenderizing cheap and thinner cuts of steak. I am talking about 2" thick T-bones.

First, we are usually happy with the steaks we get, but they were on sale, so my husband picked up SIX big ones. When we get big steaks on sale like that, we always split one between us and freeze the remainder, and we have never had any problems. Well, last night we took the first one out, and it was SO tough that neither of us even finished our share -- chuck steak would have been better! So, now, as we do not want to use the T-bones for something like stew, do any of you have any suggestions as to what we should do?

Thanks in advance!

The same thing happens with chicken breasts, every now and then. You get an old laying hen that has been retired and instead of being cut up into little bits for soup or stew, is sold as whole parts. The meat can be almost as hard to chew as shoe leather. Those tough T-bones you get, may come from an old dairy cow, instead of a young steer. Get out a heavy tenderizing hammer with teeth and give it a workout on a chopping block.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:02 AM

491 posts, read 92,332 times
I sprinkle a little red wine vinegar on each side of the steak and let it sit for awhile. It’s not enough to soak it, like a marinade, just a sprinkle. It doesn’t adversely effect the flavor of the meat.

I don’t eat steak too often anymore, but this works on any cut. Also, I have no idea how I came up with this, if someone told me, if I read it, or whatever, but it works.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:53 AM

12,439 posts, read 17,089,086 times
If they are as tough as you described them there is not much can do. They will probably do fairly well as goulash or Sugo but not as steak no matter how much you mess around with them. Some bargains turn out not to be. Been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink